Is there any way to work with Corel Draw files?
Thread poster: Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

Hello,

I received some Corel Draw files to translate, but first I have to know if I will be able to do it. I cannot even open them. I imagine I cannot use Trados, nor Studio. Does anyone know if there is a suitable CAT tool or, if not, what would be the best way to work this out?

Thanks in advance!

Cristina

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Aug 9, 2013

People say: "The free program Inkscape can open many .cdr files and can export in a variety of formats that Illustrator can read."

So, export to any format supported by Trados. E.g. *.AI

cristinacb (X)
cristinacb (X)
Romania
Local time: 17:47
French to Romanian
+ ...
about Corel Aug 9, 2013

Also, you could download a trial version of Corel, to see/read the files.

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 9, 2013

Thanks, Sergei and Cristina, for your suggestions. I managed to send one of the files to someone who had the programme and there's another additional problem: it is in a language I don't master I definitely have to talk again with the client.

Have a nice weekend,

Cristina

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:47
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Sysfilter Aug 10, 2013

There is a tool for that
http://www.ecm-engineering.com/shop1/index.php?cPath=26&XTCsid=1a1370b3166cc7ad089d5f974589e24b
now it's only worth buying if you have regular work similar to this, as it's a bit expensive.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Approaching from the other end Aug 10, 2013

It depends on what you mean by "work" with Corel files. Just translate them? Or redesign the entire thing using its elements?

For over two decades, while translating, I rebuilt publications using PageMaker. At first, their originals came in hard copy.

Later they came in all sorts of files, i.e. Microsoft Publisher, Serif PagePlus, Scribus, Frame Maker, QuarkXpress, even InDesign after PageMaker was buried, and also some very complex creations done with MS Word.
... See more
It depends on what you mean by "work" with Corel files. Just translate them? Or redesign the entire thing using its elements?

For over two decades, while translating, I rebuilt publications using PageMaker. At first, their originals came in hard copy.

Later they came in all sorts of files, i.e. Microsoft Publisher, Serif PagePlus, Scribus, Frame Maker, QuarkXpress, even InDesign after PageMaker was buried, and also some very complex creations done with MS Word.

It should be borne in mind that each DTP app uses its own proprietary file format, and they are not mutually compatible. A few converters exist, yet I never saw any of them doing what they promised. The only common format is beyond DTP, the PDF format.

So I requested these pubs for translation in PDF format, and found ways to extract their components. Then I put each PDF page on the background, and quickly drew everything, using that page as a template. After I was through, I deleted that background, and got a fresh translated publication.

It should be fairly obvious that most linguists are not graphic design artists. Usually one hires a translator to get a neatly laid-out publication in a different language.

So one day Infix Pro came to serve that purpose directly on PDF. It allows exporting text from a PDF, translating it with your favorite CAT tool, importing it back into the proper places, fonts, sizes, colors, etc., and then it has a whole array of DTP tools to fix layout issues. It's not that simple, of course, but a hundred times simpler and cheaper than buying and learning to use any pro-level DTP app.

I've described the process on this page, and the link in the "band-aid" there offers more detail.

If your client will accept you working on a PDF file, this could be a workable solution.
Collapse

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks also to Florence and José Aug 14, 2013

In the meantime, the client told me they would get Word file AND in the appropriate source language. I guess they didn't even look at the files before they sent them to me

José: Yes, my task would only involve translation, but since I couldn't even look at the files, I asked here what could be done to solve that problem.

Thanks,

Cristina

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 22:47
Export into SVG Aug 23, 2013

You may try this workaround:
1. Open CDR file in CorelDRAW;
2. Export it to SVG;
3. Translate the svg in Heartsome Translation Studio 8;
4. Once finish translation, you could import SVG in target language back into CorelDRAW.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to work with Corel Draw files?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »