Off topic: Translations for Adventure Game Studio
Thread poster: Mark
Mark
Mark
Local time: 02:30
Italian to English
Aug 22, 2013

I’ve been idly wondering about this for some time. There’s a freeware application to create adventure games called Adventure Game Studio, and it allows you to localise the games. However, I can't for the life of me think how I could use a CAT tool to do it.

Here's the workflow according to them:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags18.htm
... See more
I’ve been idly wondering about this for some time. There’s a freeware application to create adventure games called Adventure Game Studio, and it allows you to localise the games. However, I can't for the life of me think how I could use a CAT tool to do it.

Here's the workflow according to them:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags18.htm

Basically, translators receive "the file" (a text file I assume; it's not clear) with a source line followed by a blank target line, which they should complete.

Assuming it was a .txt, how could I do this? I know Trados and OmegaT, and I can't think of a solution that doesn't involve endless cutting and pasting.
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:30
English to Spanish
It would be fairly easy... Aug 22, 2013

to use a search and replace in Word, Notepad++ etc. (not even regex!) to duplicate your lines, but leave the original line with a special format (hidden, red text, etc.) so your CAT tool of choice ignores this text and only replaces the duplicates.

For example, if you want to use say Word and Trados, you would open up the file in Word, set all the text to hidden, and search for:

*^13

(everything before a paragraph break)

and replace it with:... See more
to use a search and replace in Word, Notepad++ etc. (not even regex!) to duplicate your lines, but leave the original line with a special format (hidden, red text, etc.) so your CAT tool of choice ignores this text and only replaces the duplicates.

For example, if you want to use say Word and Trados, you would open up the file in Word, set all the text to hidden, and search for:

*^13

(everything before a paragraph break)

and replace it with:

^&^&

(whatever it found, times two), but unticking the Font/Hidden box.

Naturally, this is all in the air without seeing the file, but if it's really just lines with text separated by blank lines, you may have to tweak the search/replace depending of what they use (paragraph, line break, newline etc.) but the idea is the same.
Collapse

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh yeah... Aug 22, 2013

I see where you're coming from and it sounds pretty logical. I work for an agency, and don't usually get involved in preparing the files, so I'm not sure how you exclude the text, but know that you can.

The "DO NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL ENGLISH LINES" warning would have me a bit wary about the final reconversion, but I guess it would be alright.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:30
English to Spanish
Test first... Aug 22, 2013

As long as the end format is kept exactly as they require, you can always tweak your way around .txt files (if you don't want to risk it with Word, you could always duplicate the lines and just ignore every other line in your CAT of choice).

In any event, feel free to send me a sample file if you want me to make you a script or macro

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very kind! Aug 22, 2013

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations for Adventure Game Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »