New virus hoax: JDBGMGR.EXE is not a virus!
Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
German to English
+ ...
May 1, 2002

After KLEZ (versions *.e to *.i) has infected more than 350,000 computers around the world, everybody is on their heels concerning viruses.

Usually this also triggers hoaxes. AVP has informed that a new hoax is around:

\"New Virus Hoax Terrorizes Users

JDBGMGR.EXE - is NOT a virus, but rather a standard Windows Utility

Kaspersky Labs reports on the recent rumors regarding a new and dangerous virus that is purpor
... See more
After KLEZ (versions *.e to *.i) has infected more than 350,000 computers around the world, everybody is on their heels concerning viruses.

Usually this also triggers hoaxes. AVP has informed that a new hoax is around:

\"New Virus Hoax Terrorizes Users

JDBGMGR.EXE - is NOT a virus, but rather a standard Windows Utility

Kaspersky Labs reports on the recent rumors regarding a new and dangerous virus that is purportedly carried in the file JDBGMGR.EXE - a Windows operating system file. At this time the Kaspersky Labs technical support service is receiving numerous calls regarding this supposed virus from users located in many different countries.

Actually, JDBGMGR.EXE is a standard utility (used to debug Java applications) included in most versions of Windows operating systems, including Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Deleting or modifying this program may lead to functional changes in the operating system and in some instances have negative after-effects.

The file JDBGMGR.EXE itself is not a virus, but as with any exe-file it can be infected. The infamous virus Magistr is known for its \"interest\" in this program and often infects it. Such is the case behind the spreading of this virus hoax - the initiator of this virus hoax detected Magistr on his computer and concluded that the infected file JDBGMGR.EXE is the actual virus and he rushed to inform all his friends about it. Previously, in this very way a rumor regarding the standard Windows utility SULFNBK.EXE was spread.

Kaspersky Labs recommends users refrain from further spreading unfounded virus rumors and to in turn inform colleagues and friends that this actually a \"non-existent\" or \"hoax\" virus.

A guide that will help you detect virus hoaxes can be found at:

http://www.kaspersky.com/news.asp?tnews=0&nview=1&id=118&page=4

More detailed information about virus hoaxes can be found in the Kaspersky Labs virus encyclopedia at:

http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=3905

--END
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:37
English to German
+ ...
Two more hoax info sites May 1, 2002

Here are two more URLs where you can check whether any virus info is a hoax:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

http://www.tu-berlin.de/www/software/hoax.shtml

The latter also contains info on chain mails doing the rounds...

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:37
English to Spanish
Virus hoaxes May 1, 2002

\"Virus alerts\" that claim that a given file is infected and is to be deleted are normally hoaxes (and I say \"normally\" although I have never come across any such message that wasn\'t a hoax). They maliciously lead you to believe that a certain file in your system is, in fact, a virus, and that you should delete it immediately, otherwise your system will go bonkers. In fact, the files they ask you to delete are an integral part of the operative system, the mail system or whatever. They... See more
\"Virus alerts\" that claim that a given file is infected and is to be deleted are normally hoaxes (and I say \"normally\" although I have never come across any such message that wasn\'t a hoax). They maliciously lead you to believe that a certain file in your system is, in fact, a virus, and that you should delete it immediately, otherwise your system will go bonkers. In fact, the files they ask you to delete are an integral part of the operative system, the mail system or whatever. They are part of the software and for that reason they are in every computer. Most of the time they are not very important files, but sometimes they are an integral part of the system and your computer will go ape indeed if you delete them.

These pranks are unfortunately very usual, and lots of people fall for them. In the last months, on several occasions I have had to call friends who sent me such messages and tell them that they would have to copy the files back. I guess it is less complicated than inventing a virus and, and the purpose (that is, making people\'s life hell) is equally fulfilled.

If you get one such message and you wish to make sure, run a Google search with the name of the allegedly bad file. This will bring up hoax pages from Symantec, McAfee, etc., where you can consult all the pertinent explanations. If you don\'t find any hoax page, contact your antivirus provider.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-01 14:54 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New virus hoax: JDBGMGR.EXE is not a virus!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »