Why should I purchase CAT software?
Thread poster: Michael Marcoux
Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Local time: 02:44
German to English
CAT - the best thing ever to happen to freelance translators! Nov 29, 2013

Why should you buy a CAT software?

Invest in the most expensive CAT tool on the market (Trados). You will then be very popular with agencies, as you will be able to translate their projects for much less! They will want discounts for matches and repetitions and you will be able to offer these to them.

Once you have purchased this wonderful CAT software, you can work for less money!

[Edited at 2013-
... See more

Invest in the most expensive CAT tool on the market (Trados). You will then be very popular with agencies, as you will be able to translate their projects for much less! They will want discounts for matches and repetitions and you will be able to offer these to them.

Once you have purchased this wonderful CAT software, you can work for less money!

[Edited at 2013-11-29 21:46 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha Nov 29, 2013

KateKaminski wrote:

[Edited at 2013-11-29 21:46 GMT]

That's hilarious ! Thanks for making me laugh, Kate!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly! Nov 29, 2013

Michael Marcoux wrote:
However, the price for this handy package is over 700 DOLLARS. All I can think is that either 1) this software has some amazing uses I have not discovered yet, 2) the features it has are vastly more practical than I realize at the present moment...

I have been using memoQ since 2009 and it has made my life so much easier and my work about 25-30% more productive than before (I was using Trados 2007 at that time).

I think you might want to see memoQ's recorded webinars for beginners in www.kilgray.com - Resources.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2013-11-29 22:27 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
yep, Dec 21, 2013

when one states funny things like something made his life so much easier (really?) and his work about 25-30% (cool numbers?) more productive then I begin to wonder about this fuzzy math. How come? Come gain.

Anyway, I still find the oldie *free* WF 3.35x (2002) more than enough--providing MS Office is up to 2007. It's a really light-weight useful tool, and, frankly speaking, checking
... See more
when one states funny things like something made his life so much easier (really?) and his work about 25-30% (cool numbers?) more productive then I begin to wonder about this fuzzy math. How come? Come gain.

Anyway, I still find the oldie *free* WF 3.35x (2002) more than enough--providing MS Office is up to 2007. It's a really light-weight useful tool, and, frankly speaking, checking http://wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=historytable I'm sure it's fine with me.

Should you need not an 'off-line only' free tool then consider WF Anywhere, yet I'm not sure about their TM-related policy.

P.S. Indeed, I told Yves once he adds something really worthy I would gladly buy it--he's still thinking
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere Dec 22, 2013

DZiW wrote:
Should you need not an 'off-line only' free tool then consider WF Anywhere, yet I'm not sure about their TM-related policy.

What is it you're not sure about? Something not covered in the terms of use?
DZiW wrote:
P.S. Indeed, I told Yves once he adds something really worthy I would gladly buy it--he's still thinking

Yes, I'm sure he must be devastated not to have succeeded transforming you into a paying user

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
thank you, Dec 22, 2013

Dominique, yet I couldn't find specifically whether one can export the TM from Anywhere to here; shared use only, I guess?

Nope, I do hope Yves's doing alright, however I'm pretty fine with the old version and (unfortunately?) NONE of the numerous newly-introduced 'unique' features made me want to buy a new version. Why, I watched demos and tried new features--albeit...

To top, I can work with yet still refrain from any 'ribboned' Office)

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Why purchase? Dec 22, 2013

Hi Michael,

It is not necessary for most translators to buy a CAT tool. OmegaT is a fantastic free and open-source CAT tool, more than adequate for everything I need to do. It is platform-independent, supports more languages than many commercial products, and has a fabulous rate of development of new features by a team of dedicated developers. omegat.org
There are many threads on this.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
Finnish to French
Use of TM in Wordfast Anywhere Dec 22, 2013

DZiW wrote:
Dominique, yet I couldn't find specifically whether one can export the TM from Anywhere to here; shared use only, I guess?

When you create a TM in Wordfast Anywhere (or upload an existing one), you can choose: 1) to be the only one using it, 2) to share it with designated people, 3) to share it with the rest of the world. It's entirely up to you.
It also goes without saying your TM doesn't stay "hostage" on Wordfast's server: you can download it at any time, and even delete it if you're concerned someone may use it later on.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
well Dec 23, 2013

Dominique, now the picture seems a little brighter in this view, yet still--(1) a reliable and decent Inet connection required, (2) the terms/database (TMs/glossaries) and the (3) connection itself are the subject to change and compromising, let alone the account expiration.

On the other hand--it's (1) *free*, (2) uses a similar relatively user-friendly GUI, and (3) available worldwide.

Thus, for instance, when I'm working while traveling (mostly unstable
... See more
Dominique, now the picture seems a little brighter in this view, yet still--(1) a reliable and decent Inet connection required, (2) the terms/database (TMs/glossaries) and the (3) connection itself are the subject to change and compromising, let alone the account expiration.

On the other hand--it's (1) *free*, (2) uses a similar relatively user-friendly GUI, and (3) available worldwide.

Thus, for instance, when I'm working while traveling (mostly unstable connection) or have got some explicit NDA (no *ANY* their-parties whatever) THEN any (preferably free) off-line CAT or no CAT would do. Therefore, considering the requirements, size, and functionality, the oldie WF 3.35x is ok)

Susan, I believe the initial question "Why should I purchase CAT software?" consist of several parts:
(a) why should one really USE CATs? (=Does it fit my needs?)
(b) whether a paid version any BETTER than a free one? (=Is it worthy?)

For what it's worth, every translator decides and reconsiders it as needed.
Collapse

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 03:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
It all boils down to either 1 or 2. Mar 3, 2014

If your translate documents, such as a manual, which have a lot of repetitions or similar sentences (eg. The television is on/The radio is on: only one word difference), any CAT tool will save you time as you won't have to type the same all over again.

If you don't translate documents that have a lot a of repetitions, for example a novel, then a cat tool won't be of much use.

Nonetheless, you can always translate repeated documents without any CAT tool. Bottomline is,
... See more
If your translate documents, such as a manual, which have a lot of repetitions or similar sentences (eg. The television is on/The radio is on: only one word difference), any CAT tool will save you time as you won't have to type the same all over again.

If you don't translate documents that have a lot a of repetitions, for example a novel, then a cat tool won't be of much use.

Nonetheless, you can always translate repeated documents without any CAT tool. Bottomline is, translators always have the last word with or without a CAT tool.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why should I purchase CAT software?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »