John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:11
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2013

I have looked through the forums but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. Is there any CAT tool that can translate MS .pub files directly? If not, what's the best workaround?

I did try saving the file as html but it only exported the first page, which is not much use for this multi-page document.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
English to French
+ ...
Fluency 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Hi John,

The only CAT tools that handles Publisher files seamlessly is Fluency 2013.

Cheers,

Bernard

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Limitation Dec 10, 2013

SUPPORTS ALL MAJOR SOURCE AND TARGET FORMATS

Microsoft Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Visio®, Publisher®* (2000, 2003, 2007*, 2010*)

What does the star refer to? Are there any limitations in Publisher support?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
Finnish to French
Ask on the Fluency forum? Dec 10, 2013

2nl wrote:

Microsoft Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Visio®, Publisher®* (2000, 2003, 2007*, 2010*)

What does the star refer to? Are there any limitations in Publisher support?

Maybe that would be an occasion to ask on the dedicated Fluency forum?

Only four new threads have been started on that forum in 2013. I'm wondering if anyone is actually using the tool at all. And what's very surprising (and highly suspect IMO) is the fact Fluency has the most reviews (22 of them) on the ProZ "software comparison tool", more than there are reviews for memoQ (20), SDL Trados Studio 2011 (19), Déjà Vu (11) or Wordfast Pro (11), all of which certainly have a much larger (by an order of magnitude) user base.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which version? Dec 10, 2013

John Fossey wrote:
Is there any CAT tool that can translate MS .pub files directly? If not, what's the best workaround?

Well, the thing with Publisher is that, unlike Word, every new version uses a different format that is not always backwards or forwards compatible. So, the first question to you is: which version of Publisher is the file in?

2nl wrote:
What does the star refer to?

My guess is that it means that the tool supports Word 2000-2010, Excel 2000-2010, etc, but only Publisher 2007-2010 (not 2000 and 2003).

[Edited at 2013-12-10 19:00 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:11
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't tell Dec 10, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, the thing with Publisher is that, unlike Word, every new version uses a different format that is not always backwards or forwards compatible. So, the first question to you is: which version of Publisher is the file in?

My software is 2010 but I don't see anything in the file's metadata that would tell me what version it is. When saving, I have the choice of saving as Pub 98, Pub 2000 or no particular version, which I would take is 2010.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe worth looking... Jan 12, 2016

... at this article. It's for Trados Studio but the format could be handled in any CAT that manages XML.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2016/01/11/ms-publisher/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tool for MS Publisher

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »