Thread poster: angieangela
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:40
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Another approach Apr 5, 2014

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
When cat tools came in, I choosed strategically for the most common/asked tool, which was then, and still is Trados/Studio.

At about the same time - late last century - I also decided I wanted a CAT tool. My approach to make the choice was completely different from yours, Robert. In those days, there were flame wars about the two leading - almost only - available CAT tools, Trados and DejaVu, going on various forums on the subject. Knowing absolutely nothing about those tools, I decided based on the features of the tool, and the perceived intelligence of its users.

not the best or the cheapest

"Best" is disputable, and I think all tools can do basically the same things, including editing projects set up in other tools. Preference is a matter of taste, and "must have features" that can vary.
"Cheapest" is more tangible, but keep in mind that "purchase" costs aren't always the only costs. Some tools require money for support and upgrades/updates.

Also because of the shape our industry is in, I agree with quite a few earlier posters: Try OmegaT first. Free as in free beer and libre.

Cheers,

Hans (who doesn't use OmegaT, by the way)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing a CAT tool for the first time

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »