Thread poster: Camille_P
Camille_P
Camille_P
Spain
Local time: 23:05
Haitian-Creole to French
+ ...
Jun 20, 2014

I have been using OmegaT since now, but I would like to try another CAT tool in order to improve my productivity. Since I am just starting as a freelancer, I would like to know if you can recommend me a free or really affordable software to improve my productivity and to easily create translation memories.

Thank you in advance.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
CafeTran Jun 20, 2014

Camille_P wrote:

I have been using OmegaT since now, but I would like to try another CAT tool in order to improve my productivity. Since I am just starting as a freelancer, I would like to know if you can recommend me a free or really affordable software to improve my productivity and to easily create translation memories.

Thank you in advance.

Cafetran will be perfect for you.

Camille_P
Camille_P
Spain
Haitian-Creole to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Jun 20, 2014

Thank you so much for your answer! I will try it right now!

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:05
English to Portuguese
MemSource Jun 20, 2014

Try Memsource.

It's a free online cat-tool, but you can download their Editor and work on your PC. It's easy to learn and has lots of format filters. In the free-mode, you can upload up to two files at a time to translate, but each file can have up to 10 MB.

You can find it at http://www.memsource.com/pricing/

Good luck.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran! Jun 20, 2014

I would like to second CafeTran, which is currently the best CAT tool on the market, and which also happens to be one of the cheapest.

Michael

Camille_P
Camille_P
Spain
Haitian-Creole to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memsource Jun 21, 2014

Thank you so much for your advice, I will try it next week!

Camille_P
Camille_P
Spain
Haitian-Creole to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cafetran Jun 21, 2014

I've started to work with Cafetran and it’s exactly what I was searching for. I still have a lot to learn but I really like it. Thank you so much for advising it!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Camille: Jun 21, 2014

If you have any questions, you can ask them in the CT mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cafetranslators or just send an email to support (i.e. Igor, the developer): [email protected]

Hans List is also work
... See more
If you have any questions, you can ask them in the CT mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cafetranslators or just send an email to support (i.e. Igor, the developer): [email protected]

Hans List is also working on a help site: http://cafetranhelp.com/ (with a little help from me)

A tip for using cafetranhelp.com: if you can’t find what you are looking for, make sure to try the search function on the start page (top tight of page): the site contains tons of material, but is not particularly easy to navigate

Michael
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not-Free Jun 22, 2014

Walter Moura wrote:

Try Memsource.

It's a free online cat-tool, but you can download their Editor and work on your PC. It's easy to learn and has lots of format filters. In the free-mode, you can upload up to two files at a time to translate, but each file can have up to 10 MB.

You can find it at http://www.memsource.com/pricing/

Good luck.

There is no free option for Memsource.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The real cost of subscription CAT tools Jun 22, 2014

Ali Bayraktar wrote:
There is no free option for Memsource.

Yes, the cheapest option is EUR 20.00 per month. The monthly cost of Wordfast is EUR 14. The monthly cost of Trados is EUR 24 (if the next version is 2017) or EUR 37 (if the next version is 2016). MemoQ is EUR 11 per month (assuming no format changes for 5 years). So Memsource really isn't cheap. Might as well buy CafeTran.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast Classic Jun 23, 2014

its unregistered version is a good and free option to meet the expectations declared by the topicstarter

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Similar question recently Jun 24, 2014

There was a discussion here a few days ago, with a lot of relevance for this topic:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/270800-cat_system_choice_can_you_help.html
Oliver

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:05
English to Portuguese
Free Memsource Jun 24, 2014

@ Ali Bayraktar and Samuel.

It's true that I forgot to mention the paid versions. However, the free-version is right there, under the label "Personal, "for occasional translators".

Its only limitation is the capacity for only two files "at a time". Please note that it is at a time, not per week, per day or per hour. You can translate a file, delete it, and bring in another.

It is able to filter 17 formats, including Trados TTX and SDL XLIFF. And 10 MB fi
... See more
@ Ali Bayraktar and Samuel.

It's true that I forgot to mention the paid versions. However, the free-version is right there, under the label "Personal, "for occasional translators".

Its only limitation is the capacity for only two files "at a time". Please note that it is at a time, not per week, per day or per hour. You can translate a file, delete it, and bring in another.

It is able to filter 17 formats, including Trados TTX and SDL XLIFF. And 10 MB file size is not negligible.

It has pretranslate function, split and join files, term extraction and file analysis.

And it is always being improved.

Regards,

Walter

[Edited at 2014-06-24 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Affordable CAT tool to improve productivity

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »