‘Unbreaker’ (new tool in TransTools to remove spurious line endings from OCRd/converted text)!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2014

Do you often have a lot of incorrect line breaks in OCRd and/or converted texts?

You can now easily get rid of them with ‘Unbreaker’, a new tool in TransTools!

-> http://www.translatortools.net/word-unbreaker.html

I made a quick screencast showing how it works:

http://wordbook.nl/screencasts/Unbreaker-(new-tool-in-TransTools-to-remove-spurious-line-endings-from-e.g.-OCRd-documents).mp4

Unbreaker

Michael

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How does it compare to PlusTools? Jun 29, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
Do you often have a lot of incorrect line breaks in OCRd and/or converted texts? You can now easily get rid of them with ‘Unbreaker’, a new tool in TransTools!

That's nice. PlusTools has had a similar function for years. In PlusTools, go to Tools > C[o]nv[ert] > Recreate paragraphs in currend doc[ument]. How does the Unbreaker tool's results compare to PlusTools' results?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some more info Jun 29, 2014

Hi Samuel,

I’m not really sure. I only used PlusTools once or twice, a long time ago. I wouldn’t even know where to download it anymore, whereas Stanislav (the developer of Unbreaker/TransTools) is extremely active and enthusiastic about his tool.

Unbreaker also has quite a few useful settings:

Wordbook.nl

+

Wordbook.nl

We are also discussing it over in the CafeTran mailing list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/cafetranslators/p3oMlbQeWaM

¬¬¬

TransTools is definitely a tool to keep an eye on. I think it has amazing potential.

I also just read the following in the ‘Translator Tools Newsletter’ this morning (for registered users of TransTools Professional Edition):

Wordbook.nl

+

Wordbook.nl

+

Wordbook.nl

Michael

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
OCR Jun 29, 2014

Speaking of extra line and page breaks in OCRed text, a good OCR program will have an option to remove them. For example, ABBYY Finereader does.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ABBYY FineReader Jun 29, 2014

Hi Anton,

That’s interesting. Can you tell me how to do it in ABBYY FineReader 12?

Incidentally, the documents in my screenshots were just something I found online and was in the process of aligning.

Michael

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Finereader Jul 7, 2014

Michael, all you need to do in Finereader is uncheck two boxes, "Keep page breaks" and "Keep line breaks" in the Options dialogue, Save tab.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
¬¬¬ Jul 7, 2014

Hi Anton,

I'll have to do a little testing. If I do this, will I then perhaps inadvertently remove valid page and line breaks. That is, ones that I would like to keep?

Michael

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 02:10
English to Chinese
Thanks for sharing this information Jul 9, 2014

Hi Michael,

I purchased the TransTools Professional Edition ($20 for installing the program on up to three machines) after reading your user feedback here and visiting the TransTools website. So far I have only tried two or three features and am very happy with this program. I thought I would need to go through the readme files to know how to use the features, but it turns out the onscreen instructions were quite easy to follow. I highly recommend this tool to those who need to t
... See more
Hi Michael,

I purchased the TransTools Professional Edition ($20 for installing the program on up to three machines) after reading your user feedback here and visiting the TransTools website. So far I have only tried two or three features and am very happy with this program. I thought I would need to go through the readme files to know how to use the features, but it turns out the onscreen instructions were quite easy to follow. I highly recommend this tool to those who need to tweak the source files for better importing results in their CAT environment, and to those who still work with Trados files and want to see better which segments are new, which are fuzzy, etc.
This is another nice addition after my ApSIC Xbench investment!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
"Valid" breaks Jul 9, 2014

Michael, if I remember correctly, line breaks between paragraphs (as opposed to lines within the same paragraph) will be retained anyway. As to page breaks, either you keep them, or you don't, I don't see how a page break may be "valid" or "invalid".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

‘Unbreaker’ (new tool in TransTools to remove spurious line endings from OCRd/converted text)!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »