Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 17, 2014

Hello everyone using XTM

It's been a while since I've used XTM, but last time I used it I was able to click in a segment, press Ctrl+A and then press Ctrl+C, and then press Ctrl+V in e.g. Notepad, and if the segment contained tags, the tags would be present in the pasted text. However, when I tried it today, the tags are omitted from the pasted text. In other words, copying content from XTM to the clipboard does not result in the tags being copied to the clipboard along with the o
... See more
Hello everyone using XTM

It's been a while since I've used XTM, but last time I used it I was able to click in a segment, press Ctrl+A and then press Ctrl+C, and then press Ctrl+V in e.g. Notepad, and if the segment contained tags, the tags would be present in the pasted text. However, when I tried it today, the tags are omitted from the pasted text. In other words, copying content from XTM to the clipboard does not result in the tags being copied to the clipboard along with the other text. Is there a magic setting in XTM that would enable that to happen again?

The two-column HTML preview doesn't show the tags either. There are green tags and blue tags. I could really use those tags on the clipboard...

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partial answer Sep 17, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
I was able to click in a segment, press Ctrl+A and then press Ctrl+C, and then press Ctrl+V in e.g. Notepad, and if the segment contained tags, the tags would be present in the pasted text.

I've discovered why this no longer works. The tags are represented in XTM not by coloured text, but by inline images. If you copy text and paste it into e.g. MS Word, the images are visible, but since Notepad can't display images, Notepad doesn't display the tags.

One can send the clipboard to a text file using AutoHotKey:
FileAppend, %ClipboardAll%, filename.clp
...which produces a binary file that can be opened in a text editor.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated my paster script Sep 18, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
The tags are represented in XTM not by coloured text, but by inline images. If you copy text and paste it into e.g. MS Word, the images are visible, but since Notepad can't display images, Notepad doesn't display the tags.

I updated my XTM extractor and paster scripts to solve this problem. The scripts are still a work in progress (i.e. they stop pasting quite a bit, so you'll have to baby sit the computer while the script is running, but they mostly don't mispaste anything).

http://leuce.com/autoit/xtm%20paster%20v2.zip

After pasting all segments, create a two-column HTML export version, open it in MS Word, and spell-check the target column to make sure no segments were skipped.

It would seem to me that XTM regards matches that have identical text and all the same tags (but not tags in the identical places) as 100% matches, which it inserts, which may cause the paster script to regard the paste action as a mismatch, which will cause it to stop and warn you. Annoying, but safer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XTM - how to copy tags to the clipboard

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »