Creating a Simpler CAT Application for Everyone
Thread poster: Zelikazi
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
Finnish to French
CAT tools developed as one-man shows Dec 14, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:
developing a CAT tool is a large and complex job, hardly for one person and hardly as a side project.

It can be done: Yves Champollion (Wordfast Classic), Hermann Bruns (MetaTexis), Rodolfo Raya (Swordfish), Igor Kmitowski (CafeTran), Ryan Ginstrom (Felix) have done it, so why not Zelizaki?

The question is: will Zelizaki ever recover his investment in time with revenues from sales of his would-be tool? It's a crowded market out there...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't see the point Dec 15, 2014

Zelikazi wrote:

Sounds like another version of the old story

The translation tools do all seem to run together after a while...

The biggest difference with this would be that it won't enforce line-by-line translating, dispensing of the related formatting and workflow structure. Obviously many translators won't want that, but they already have many options available (as you've said).

This doesn't make too much sense to me, especially the bit about the "formatting and workflow structure".
If what you mean is "translate text in paragraph sized chunks, not sentence sized chunks", I'd say drop this project idea right now. That's not a differentiating feature. It is something one can do quite easily with all CATs today (I believe). And it's not a feature many people want. Some translators (mostly those who translate creative texts such as fiction) don't like being 'boxed in' but a) that's a minority group b) they can use existing tools to translate paragraph by paragraph as noted above and c) paragraph segmentation is pretty awful when it comes to the main purpose of all CATs: concordance search and TM match insertion.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Offline browser-based CAT tool Dec 15, 2014

Zelikazi wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Offline is better, faster, easier, etc. Online is slower.

Only word look-ups from other sites would require being online, the rest would all be done client side and be instantaneous.

Aah, so you have an OFFLINE browser-based CAT tool in mind.

Well, I think there is one already: Toshiya Kazuyoshi's Isometry, which is an app in Chrome (I'm not sure if it is truly an offline tool). The free version can do 20 documents per month, but the paid version (2000 documents per month) isn't expensive -- about EUR 7 per month (cancel any time).

The web site claims that Isometry does paragraph segmentation, but it actually *displays* paragraphs while offering intra-paragraph sentence segmentation (and fuzzy matching).

[Edited at 2014-12-15 22:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a Simpler CAT Application for Everyone

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »