Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:51
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Learning curve Jan 4, 2015

Thank you, Samuel. I do not intend to pass the first hours on my own with my new CAT tool but with an experienced colleague... I think that's the best!

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
re: "learning curve" Jan 4, 2015

It seems to me - since I didn't learn that at school - that it is necessary to understand in depth what is a TM (translation memory) and why it is useful. (respectively what is a termbase / why it is useful).

Once you understand these notion, you can learn the details quite quickly.

I noticed that most trainings / webinars suppose you have already these notions; they spend most of the session telling you: click here or click there.

Personal experience: to
... See more
It seems to me - since I didn't learn that at school - that it is necessary to understand in depth what is a TM (translation memory) and why it is useful. (respectively what is a termbase / why it is useful).

Once you understand these notion, you can learn the details quite quickly.

I noticed that most trainings / webinars suppose you have already these notions; they spend most of the session telling you: click here or click there.

Personal experience: to learn Multiterm (SDL must have termbase management tool), it was very complex and no training was available.
With a colleague, we asked for a "private Multiterm training" (3 hours) in French:
theory, examples, practical work. The trainer was excellent and helped us also for autosuggest.

Well for training I would recommend you to find a local French trainer familiar with the CAT tool you choose. This way, and because you don't plan to choose the very complex tool, your "learning curve would be minimized.

Madeleine
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 5, 2015

Thanks to everyone! I am starting to test different tools tomorrow!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What CAT tool do you recommend?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »