Upgrade to Studio 2014 or switch to memoQ?
Thread poster: sarandor
sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2015

I bought Trados 2007 in 2007 and despite its well-known shortcomings have got to know the program well enough to suit my needs. Besides, the majority of my clients (well-established agencies) are still demanding bilingual Word files and TagEditor. I am running the program on a 32-bit machine with Windows 7 and Office 2010.

I will be moving to a new computer which has Windows 8 and Office 2013. And I hear that in a matter of months we will have Windows 10 and Office 2016.

... See more
I bought Trados 2007 in 2007 and despite its well-known shortcomings have got to know the program well enough to suit my needs. Besides, the majority of my clients (well-established agencies) are still demanding bilingual Word files and TagEditor. I am running the program on a 32-bit machine with Windows 7 and Office 2010.

I will be moving to a new computer which has Windows 8 and Office 2013. And I hear that in a matter of months we will have Windows 10 and Office 2016.

The dilemma I am facing is, should I upgrade to the latest version of Studio or switch to memoQ, given that my clients are still using old Trados processes? One would hope that sooner or later they will have to move on too...

Someone suggested that I create a virtual 32-machine on my new computer to run the old Trados, but that will require constantly switching between 32- and 64-bit sides.
Collapse

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
ttx may be a solution Feb 7, 2015

One of my agencies runs old Trados as well and I have not had any problems with Studio as they always send me ttx files. And from Studio I use "Save target as" and return a ttx file back.

[Edited at 2015-02-07 18:41 GMT] It is also possible to use "Save target as... original file format" but I've never tried - thus you will have both Word and TagEditor files

[Edited at 2015-02-07 18:43 GMT]

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:35
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
ask clients? Feb 7, 2015

Personally, I love memoQ, but I don't have a lot of clients who insist on Trados.
Some who work with Trados themselves simply send me Trados handoff packages, which I can process in memoQ.
It's maybe worth asking your clients. A software choice is not worth risking "the majority" over. But they may already have the processes in place.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:35
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Options Feb 7, 2015

sarandor wrote:

I create a virtual 32-machine on my new computer to run the old Trados, but that will require constantly switching between 32- and 64-bit sides.

No. Trados Workbench will run on a 64-bit machine.
However, it needs a 32-bit version of MS Word to run in Word.
My set up is Win 8.1 (64-bit) and MS Word 2013 (32-bit). Trados Workbench works fine.

should I upgrade to the latest version of Studio or switch to memoQ?

Your options:
1. Keep Workbench as explained above.
2. Buy Studio 2014 (I don't think you'll get a special upgrade price from Trados 2007, but you can get a good offer here through a group buy). That way you can process bilingual Workbench files and ttx files in Studio, and save the translated versions in the same format.
There's a steep learning curve when you switch from the old Trados to the new Studio, but once you have found your way around, there's no comparison between the two tools. I wouldn't dream of using Trados Workbench or Tag Editor any more.
3. Buy memoQ. The learning curve will be the same, because Studio and memoQ are really quite similar.

You might be interested to read my comparison of Studio and memoQ: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/08/08/memoq/

[Edited at 2015-02-07 19:06 GMT]

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Alignment? Feb 8, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
You might be interested to read my comparison of Studio and memoQ: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/08/08/memoq/

[Edited at 2015-02-07 19:06 GMT]

That was an interesting comparison of SDL Studio and memoQ, but did you ever do a comparison on alignments in the two tools? After just doing a couple of big alignment projects for a client, I've noticed a few shortcomings in Studio 2014. For example: you can't do multiple confirmations, say when you have a number of short segments that are all perfectly aligned you can't mark them all and then hit the confirm button once to deal with them all at once, you must confirm one segment, move to the next segment, confirm it, etc; on the same note, when one segment has been confirmed it doesn't move automatically on to the next segment, as you can do in the translation editor window; constantly changing to and from the editor mode is a time problem, for example, you see a proposed alignment of segments that is incorrect, you disconnect them and then you have to change into editor mode, mark the two correct segments and connect, leave editor status and proceed further with the alignment. Other than that I find the alignment so much easier now that it was in Trados.

Regards
Ben

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask your customers about their plans Feb 8, 2015

I was in your same situation in 2009 and opted for memoQ. It was an excellent decision, since the tool really gave a boost to my productivity compared to the old Trados (about 30% more throughput). If you are asking about working with Trados 2007 files and your internal work with no customers using SDL Studio, then the answer would be simply get memoQ. You will have to pretranslate Trados' TTX files before adding them to memoQ, but other than that, memoQ can do wonders for you.

Now,
... See more
I was in your same situation in 2009 and opted for memoQ. It was an excellent decision, since the tool really gave a boost to my productivity compared to the old Trados (about 30% more throughput). If you are asking about working with Trados 2007 files and your internal work with no customers using SDL Studio, then the answer would be simply get memoQ. You will have to pretranslate Trados' TTX files before adding them to memoQ, but other than that, memoQ can do wonders for you.

Now, if your customers are thinking of getting SDL Studio 2014, then the answer is get memoQ, but also buy the cheapest license you can get for SDL Studio. This way, you will be able to benefit from memoQ but also work for customers who use SDL Studio. You would use Studio just to be able to pretranslate the SDLXLIFF files and receive and return work packages. All the rest, you can do in memoQ. This is how I work currently. While having to use Studio to deal with the packages is not ideal, I prefer to keep working with memoQ for productivity.
Collapse

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:35
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My heartfelt thanks to all Feb 8, 2015

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and suggesting possible solutions! They are very helpful and allowed me to look at the issue from the angles that I didn't consider before.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to Studio 2014 or switch to memoQ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »