https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/294065-importing_and_aligning_already_translated_texts_in_cat.html

Importing and aligning already translated texts in CAT
Thread poster: Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:29
French to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 2, 2015

Hi Proz-members!

I'm trying to get rid of my "I absolutely dislike CAT tools"attitude and am trying out a couple of CATs before actually really looking for any customers (I should have started with this a lot earlier... like maybe during my Translation studies at university).

We did get a couple of CAT tool classes, but only used it in theory, not really in practice.

What I don't like about CAT tools is that in fact they slow me down when I am translating,
... See more
Hi Proz-members!

I'm trying to get rid of my "I absolutely dislike CAT tools"attitude and am trying out a couple of CATs before actually really looking for any customers (I should have started with this a lot earlier... like maybe during my Translation studies at university).

We did get a couple of CAT tool classes, but only used it in theory, not really in practice.

What I don't like about CAT tools is that in fact they slow me down when I am translating, they limit my abilities (e.g.: It gives me a translation for something I already translated, but it does not fit in this text, so I have to look for something else, but now that I've seen what it suggested, I sometimes have difficulties getting past that suggestion), and technical problems.

Oh and not to forget that they are in fact an empty box that you should fill with your own knowledge.

I tried OmegaT (I am first trying some free CATs, since I don't want to spend a lot of money on Trados which we used in theory at university and end up not using it because I dislike CATs) and ... absolutely disliked it (maybe my mistake).

I am now testing Wordfast Anywhere (which I already tried using briefly at university), and I definitely like Wordfast Anywhere more than OmegaT.

I'm now at the point where I want to really investigate what it can do, and if it really can or cannot help me.
I have a dozen of texts that I translated for the same company on more or less the same topic, so I guess that a CAT tool might have come in handy to translate these texts.
I am translating another text for them as I speak, without using CAT but would like to try it WITH Wordfast Anywhere.

Is there any way I can import and align the texts I already translated without it, so that I don't have the "empty box" anymore?
(I vaguely remember having done a similar thing with Trados 5 years ago)
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
two best free aligners Nov 2, 2015

Hi Nele,

The two best free ways to align your previous translations (in order of easiness) are:

http://www.youalign.com/ +
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

Michael

PS: The best CAT tool avai
... See more
Hi Nele,

The two best free ways to align your previous translations (in order of easiness) are:

http://www.youalign.com/ +
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

Michael

PS: The best CAT tool available at the moment for freelancers = https://www.cafetran.com/ (Not free, but cheap)

[Edited at 2015-11-02 10:38 GMT]
Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 12:29
Alignment tool Nov 2, 2015

Hi Nele,

If you have shorter texts (< 500 segments) that you are looking to align, you might consider TM-Town's alignment tool. It is pretty easy to use and very visual - you can drag & drop, merge or split and the boxes will resize vertically so you can quickly see the source segment that will be aligned with a certain target segment.

If you are looking to do more heavy-duty alignmen
... See more
Hi Nele,

If you have shorter texts (< 500 segments) that you are looking to align, you might consider TM-Town's alignment tool. It is pretty easy to use and very visual - you can drag & drop, merge or split and the boxes will resize vertically so you can quickly see the source segment that will be aligned with a certain target segment.

If you are looking to do more heavy-duty alignments (i.e. very long texts) then Michael's suggestions are great.

Kevin

Collapse

LFNEI
LFNEI
India
Dear All, my problem might be related to this discussion. Jan 19, 2016

I am preparing some TM's using +tools in Wordfast (keeping the Wordfast segmentation). Everything else is fine (I mean I am getting leverage of these TM's while working) but the Header of this TM in txt is different then the usual TM's that I am creating during live jobs. Please see these headers -

1. Created as part of a live job

%20140308~172629 %M (MEDHI) %TU=00000428 %EN-US %Wordfast TM v.6.03t/00 %AS-IN %---
20140308~172803 M 0 EN-US Q1. Centres AS-IN
... See more
I am preparing some TM's using +tools in Wordfast (keeping the Wordfast segmentation). Everything else is fine (I mean I am getting leverage of these TM's while working) but the Header of this TM in txt is different then the usual TM's that I am creating during live jobs. Please see these headers -

1. Created as part of a live job

%20140308~172629 %M (MEDHI) %TU=00000428 %EN-US %Wordfast TM v.6.03t/00 %AS-IN %---
20140308~172803 M 0 EN-US Q1. Centres AS-IN Q1. Centres EL ST
20140308~172815 M 0 EN-US Q1. Centre AS-IN Q1. চেণ্টাৰ EL

2. Created as part of another live job

%20151217~091810 %U (User) %TU=00000418 %EN-US %Wordfast TM v.6.03t/00 %AS-IN %---
20151217~091938 U 0 EN-US PRO
E
AS-IN PRO
NAIRE
EL ST
20151217~092014 U 0 EN-US Q2. QC AS-IN Q2. QC EL ST

3. TM Created by extract, align and create TM process using +tools

%20160119~120101 %+A! %TU=00000000 %EN-US %Wordfast translation memory version v.5 %AS-IN %This is a header - do not delete, move or sort.
20160119~120102 +A! 0 EN-US Q. In your business setup, are you one of the key decision makers for purchase of files? AS-IN Q4.

I am using demo version of Wordfast and Windows 8 (MS word 2007) in Lenovo laptop. My Language code is EN-US to AS-IN. I am saving the files as Unicode encoding txt.

Please suggest where I am making mistakes in creating the TM.

[Edited at 2016-01-19 07:24 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing and aligning already translated texts in CAT

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »