Translation before source, how to do it?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 10, 2015

Hi everybody. I got an inquiry from a customer for translation of technical manuals. The problem is, that they want the final document to be bilingual, but the target language should always be in front of the source text. So a heading would be:

1.4 Heading target Heading source

And the text like this:

paragraph target
paragraph source

And the source text should be in a different font color (!).

Its all together 40 thousand wo
... See more
Hi everybody. I got an inquiry from a customer for translation of technical manuals. The problem is, that they want the final document to be bilingual, but the target language should always be in front of the source text. So a heading would be:

And the text like this:

paragraph target
paragraph source

Its all together 40 thousand words, so if I would do it manually I would get crazy.

Can anyone think of a method how to do this efficiently using a CAT?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Table it Nov 10, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Replace all tabs temporarily with something else. Then turn the document into a 1-column table in which paragraph breaks are row delimiters. Then translate that file. Then copy the column of the translated version and insert it before the column or the original file. Change the colour of that column. Then convert back to text so that tabs become line breaks. Then manually go through the text and delete the line breaks at headings. Finally, replace the temporary tabs with actual tabs.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 23:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Possible way Nov 10, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

And the text like this:

paragraph target
paragraph source

Its all together 40 thousand words, so if I would do it manually I would get crazy.

Copy all source into target then for each segment put translation in front of the source. Add a line break. It should do.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:40
English to French
How about requiring vowels to be pink-stricken? Nov 10, 2015

Offer to deliver a table with source text in one column and target in another, any other non-standard delivery formatting bearing a 50% surcharge for the bother.

If the source text is in Word, I'd first investigate the use of Trados 2007 (hidden source, tags and target text in Word .doc), with segment breaks at hard line breaks instead of full stops. Then you'll already have the source in a different colour.

Then clean it, reverse the TM languages (can't remember
... See more
Offer to deliver a table with source text in one column and target in another, any other non-standard delivery formatting bearing a 50% surcharge for the bother.

If the source text is in Word, I'd first investigate the use of Trados 2007 (hidden source, tags and target text in Word .doc), with segment breaks at hard line breaks instead of full stops. Then you'll already have the source in a different colour.

Then clean it, reverse the TM languages (can't remember how, but it's doable), run pretranslate on the target to get the source after the target.

Then a few search-replace operations on the Trados tags to put it all in order (middle tag replaced with hard line break and things like that).

Estimated time needed: 5 hours
Price: 250+ euros.

Philippe

[Edited at 2015-11-10 15:53 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so too Nov 10, 2015

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Then clean it, reverse the TM languages (can't remember how, but it's doable), run pretranslate on the target to get the source after the target.

Then a few search-replace operations on the Trados tags to put it all in order (middle tag replaced with hard line break and things like that).

Estimated time needed: 5 hours
Price: 250+ euros.

Philippe

[Edited at 2015-11-10 15:53 GMT]

Now I offered the client the normal translation for X Euro, and they do themselves the additional adjustments, or I do them and charge 2X Euro. Probably they'll choose the first.

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 19:40
English to Russian
Preparation of document for dual-language translation Nov 11, 2015

Hello, Heinrich,

I assume your source document is in Microsoft Word format. If so, you can use a free tool called Dual-Language Document Assistant which is part of TransTools for Word add-in. Using this tool, it is very easy to convert the original into one of 2 formats: 1) a dual-language table with two columns, one for the original and another for the translation, 2) dual-language text with a
... See more
Hello, Heinrich,

I assume your source document is in Microsoft Word format. If so, you can use a free tool called Dual-Language Document Assistant which is part of TransTools for Word add-in. Using this tool, it is very easy to convert the original into one of 2 formats: 1) a dual-language table with two columns, one for the original and another for the translation, 2) dual-language text with a delimiter between the original and the translation (this is the format preferred by your client).

First, you need to convert selected text with Dual-Language Document Assistant: select the text to prepare for dual-language translation, open the tool, expand the options under "Convert selected paragraphs to dual-language text" section, and choose "Translation will be on: Left Side" option + Yellow highlight color (since the target needs to come first according to your client's requirements). Then press "Convert to dual-language text" button. When you do this, the original text will become duplicated, and the left side (before the paragraph or line break) will be highlighted in Yellow. Then, use Hide / Unhide Text tool in TransTools to hide everything except highlighted text (choose Hide Everything Except Colored Text option, Yellow highlight color). The tool will hide the non-highlighted parts (original copy). Then, import into the CAT tool, translate, export, then use Hide / Unhide Text tool again with Unhide Everything option to reveal the previously hidden original text.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions Nov 11, 2015

It seems there is some choice of method for this task. I believe however this time (if at all) the client will choose simple tranlation and do the rest himself.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For the record Mar 4, 2016

Strangely I got this project, though I had offered a rather high rate. Now I realise that no automatic approach would work, because the document structure is quite complex and the formatting not very good. So I'm glad the customer will do the final editing and I only do the translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation before source, how to do it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »