Thread poster: chaplin
chaplin
chaplin
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
English to French
+ ...
Feb 19, 2016

I received two files which both contain pictrueqs; They are saved as word file but cannot use either Trados or memoq. The messages displayed in trados are not saved in Microsoft 2007. I tried changing the files to translatable but no luck. Can anyone help me it is URGENT! Thank you.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:59
Chinese to English
A technophobe's answer Feb 20, 2016

Copy and paste all the text into a new document. CAT translate new document. Copy and paste target text back into formatted picture document.
Manual methods are quicker than searching for the best techno-fix in all but the largest and most complex projects.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:59
English to Italian
Pictures vs Text Feb 20, 2016

chaplin wrote:

I received two files which both contain pictrueqs; They are saved as word file but cannot use either Trados or memoq. The messages displayed in trados are not saved in Microsoft 2007. I tried changing the files to translatable but no luck. Can anyone help me it is URGENT! Thank you.

I'm not sure I understand the situation... These are Word files, but only contain pictures with text in them instead of plain text? In that case, it would be more a matter of transcription than CAT tools, more or less as if you received a locked PDF. You could try OCRing them, but it probably wouldn't be worth it, especially for short texts.

While, on the other hand, if the files contain both pictures (reference, with no text to translate) and text, then both MQ and Trados should be able to handle it. The only issue I've had in this respect with MQ is that the preview was not showing images for files saved with certain versions of Word/Excel.

chaplin
chaplin
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Feb 20, 2016

Your suggestions worked well. Thank you very much!
Have a good weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem format

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »