software recommendation
Thread poster: DannaRoz
DannaRoz
DannaRoz
Israel
Apr 3, 2016

Hi there,
Being relatively new to the translation job,
I'd like to ask for a recommendation of programs.
I mainly work with English-Hebrew/ English-Russian translations.
What would be the best software? I heard, that Trados is problematic with Hebrew.

Thank you,

Danna

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:00
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
and the winner is ... Apr 4, 2016

there are two types of best software:

1) the one you personally work best in
2) the one your clients (agencies) use to send you work

... Assuming we're talking about CAT tools here .. you might want test a few for yourself, MemoQ, Trados, WordFast, DejaVu and see what you find comfortable... and then see what type of work you do for / get from agancies.... you might want to buy two...

Or see what's REALLY compatible...

Ed

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ.com software comparison tool & free trials Apr 4, 2016

ProZ.com has a software comparison feature at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool that allows you to compare software based on features as well as see user reviews, tutorials/videos and more. Each software listing also has a link to that software's free trial options. As Edward mentioned, the best is the one you prefer to work with, so might be best to try more than one via a free ... See more
ProZ.com has a software comparison feature at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool that allows you to compare software based on features as well as see user reviews, tutorials/videos and more. Each software listing also has a link to that software's free trial options. As Edward mentioned, the best is the one you prefer to work with, so might be best to try more than one via a free trial period.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
English to Spanish
ProZ software comparisson Apr 4, 2016

Hi,

The software comparison tool does not show all tools that are available for comparing.

The criteria used for hiding tools is not specified, but it looks like only those that pay for advertising are displayed.

Regards,
Rodolfo

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Another option... Apr 4, 2016

... is to see if you can manage without it, assuming you mean translation memory. I sometimes use customers' own online TM, but I don't have one of my own. I sometimes lose jobs because of it, but I'm usually very busy. People often use TM quite unnecessarily - I recently had a request to use it for a short story.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

software recommendation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »