Any experience with a so-called "Sajan translation kit" (Sajan Translation Document SP3.3)
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 12, 2016

I just received a so-called "Sajan Translation Document SP3.3" to translate, which is a .xlsm file containing this in the header:

"Sajan Translation Document SP3.3
This translation kit contains macro-based functionality to propagate duplicate segments as you translate. Modifying the structure of this kit will, in certain cases, disable this functionality, but will not prevent you from uploading your translations to GCMS."

Is basically an Excel file, with va
... See more
I just received a so-called "Sajan Translation Document SP3.3" to translate, which is a .xlsm file containing this in the header:

"Sajan Translation Document SP3.3
This translation kit contains macro-based functionality to propagate duplicate segments as you translate. Modifying the structure of this kit will, in certain cases, disable this functionality, but will not prevent you from uploading your translations to GCMS."

Is basically an Excel file, with various columns, such as
"segment number",
"Match %",
"source",
"target",
"Inconsistent? (Yes/blank)",
"Duplicate Group Id".

Does anyone know what kind of file this is? What even is "GCMS"? Can you it translate in a CAT tool, or are you supposed to do it all in the Excel file?

Anyway, I will most likely refuse the job (as the rate they are offering (€0.04) is atrocious), but was just curious…

MJWB
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:47
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Sajan May 12, 2016

A Google search indicates that GCMS is the Global Communication Management System for Sajan, a translation agency. It looks like it's just their portal. It sounds like they are trying to create their own CAT tool in Excel. - a .xlsm file is an Excel file with macros.

When I get an Excel file to translate like this I will often copy-paste the column with the source text into a blank Excel worksheet, translate that in my favourite CAT tool, and paste the result back into the Excel t
... See more
A Google search indicates that GCMS is the Global Communication Management System for Sajan, a translation agency. It looks like it's just their portal. It sounds like they are trying to create their own CAT tool in Excel. - a .xlsm file is an Excel file with macros.

When I get an Excel file to translate like this I will often copy-paste the column with the source text into a blank Excel worksheet, translate that in my favourite CAT tool, and paste the result back into the Excel target column.

But not for €0,04 !

[Edited at 2016-05-12 13:33 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google says: May 12, 2016

"Sajan is a global translation service provider offering localization solutions and language translation management system technology."

At four cents a word, they could be the Starship Enterprise and I still wouldn't give them the time of day

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
copy/paste May 12, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

When I get an Excel file to translate like this I will often copy-paste the column with the source text into a blank Excel worksheet, translate that in my favourite CAT tool, and paste the result back into the Excel target column.

But not for €0,04 !

[Edited at 2016-05-12 13:33 GMT]

Yeah, that's how I handle Excel files too. memoQ and some others also have dedicated multi-column importers these days, but I find copy/pasting is simpler and less faff.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
incidentally May 12, 2016

The job didn't come from Sajan, so I am mildly curious as to how the agency that sent it got its hands on the file. Not curious enough to try to find out though, and I also already politely declined the offer and asked to be left alone in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any experience with a so-called "Sajan translation kit" (Sajan Translation Document SP3.3)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »