Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:10
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 17, 2016

Hi everybody,
I am looking for a free cat-tool in order to consult my translation memories and my termbases created with trados. I already have a license of trados, but I need an inexpensive cat-tool to use on my netbook just for consultation purposes when I am out of office.
It shouldn't have any limit regarding TM and TB sizes, like Wordfast demo and the like.
Do you know if a such cat-tool exist?
Thank you very much for your help.
Bruno

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Xbench or TMLookup May 17, 2016

If all you want to do is consult your translation memories and termbases, Xbench will allow you to do exactly that. There is a free version (the older version), which doesn't handle UTF-8, but if it's just for searching, I doubt this really matters much.

TMLookup will do the same, but with a bit more work maybe for the termbases.
... See more
If all you want to do is consult your translation memories and termbases, Xbench will allow you to do exactly that. There is a free version (the older version), which doesn't handle UTF-8, but if it's just for searching, I doubt this really matters much.

TMLookup will do the same, but with a bit more work maybe for the termbases.

http://www.xbench.net/
http://www.farkastranslations.com/tmlookup.php

MJWB
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xbench May 17, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

MJWB

Thank you Michael!
I've just downloaded a free version of Xbench. However, as far as I can see, it is only free of charge for 30 days..then it costs about 120 € per year..

[Edited at 2016-05-17 18:50 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Older version May 17, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:

MJWB

Thank you Michael!
I've just downloaded a free version of Xbench. However, as far as I can see, it is only free of charge for 30 days..then it costs about 120 € per year..

As Michael was saying, the older version (2.9) is free. Try that and see if it works for you. I think it should, even with relatively "big" (as in several hundred MBs) memories.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
make sure you get "ApSIC Xbench 2.9" May 17, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:

MJWB

Thank you Michael!

You need to download: "ApSIC Xbench 2.9"

MJWB

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
previous version May 18, 2016

You need to download: "ApSIC Xbench 2.9"

MJWB

Sorry Michael, I didn't read well your post.
I'll download the previous version then.
Thank you for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

free cat tool for consultation purposes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »