Thread poster: FrancescoP
FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2016

How many freelancers out there use Ocelot 2.2? Just curious.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ocelot Dec 21, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
How many freelancers out there use Ocelot 2.2? Just curious.

http://open.vistatec.com/ocelot/index.php?title=Main_Page

ocelot

It's an XLIFF editor with a UI design from 1981.

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback Dec 21, 2016

Thanks for your feedback Samuel.

It's an Open Source tool in its early stage. I'm interested in finding out how many freelence translators in the community have or are using it and what they think.

Regards,

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Francesco Dec 21, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
It's an Open Source tool in its early stage. I'm interested in finding out how many freelance translators in the community have or are using it and what they think.

Oh, okay. No, I've never heard of it (I think). I doubt if I'll ever use it, because it uses an Excel-style interface whereby you have to double-click each cell in order to edit its contents.

I hope you realise the smiley was implied in the "1981".

[Edited at 2016-12-21 22:45 GMT]

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Dec 22, 2016

The translation grid is very convenient and it's the same concept used by Trados, MemoQ, DejaVu and others. You can move very fast using the up and down arrow. Here's a pick of the UI for you.

hosting immagini

What I find interesting in this tool is the fact that has 2 targets: the original one, and the one with your edits. It allows you to see what you changed during the review (sort of version compare).

Also, I like the fact that you can flag mistakes on the fly and the Quality Evaluation criteria are fully configurable (see screenshots). You can also quickly export the Quality Report directly from the tool.

hosting immagini

It's Open Source, so can be improved by the community.

[Modificato alle 2016-12-22 07:40 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ocelot is not a CAT tool but an LQA tool Dec 22, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
The translation grid is very convenient and it's the same concept used by Trados, MemoQ, DejaVu and others. You can move very fast using the up and down arrow.

No, in Trados 2015 and MemoQ, you can move to the next or previous sentence with an up or down arrow, but your cursor also ends up directly above or below where the cursor was in the previous segment, and you can start editing a segment (e.g. type immediately, or select words immediately) as soon as your cursor is in it.

Ocelot works like Excel (and e.g. Passolo) in that while you can move up and down to the previous or next segment, you have to perform additional actions to be able to start editing (and perform additional additional actions to be able to move to another segment again). In Ocelot, you have to double-click a target field, and then click again in the field (simply double-clicking once selects the segment somehow, but does not place a cursor in it).

The shortcut (in lieu of double-clicking) for activating a target field is F2, but it doesn't place the cursor, and I can't figure out if there is a shortcut to place the cursor. There doesn't seem to be a shortcut for "leaving" a segment (i.e. leaving the edit mode so that the up and down arrows move between segments again). Pressing Escape or pressing F2 again doesn't do it.

What I find interesting in this tool is the fact that has 2 targets: the original one, and the one with your edits.

Yes, and the "original" column displays the edits in tracked changes. However, it only works for comparing the current target field with the target field as it was when the user opened the file. It does not track subsequent editing. Even if you define a new user ID ("profile"), it does not track subsequent editing.

I like the fact that you can flag mistakes on the fly and the Quality Evaluation criteria are fully configurable...

Yes, there is a built-in LQI feature, but unfortunately the LQI comments (and error information) are not shown next to the segment that they pertain to, but in a separate pane on the other side of your screen.

It is clear to me now that this is an LQA tool (not a translation tool or an editing tool). A common translation feature like "copy source to target" is not present, but "reset updated target to original target" is.

The "LQI Grid" is a useful option -- it shows the LQA options as a grid in a separate window, and as you move from segment to segment, you can then apply LQA gradings by simply clicking on a cell. This is a huge potential time-saver. However, to add a comment, you again have to double-click the comment field before you can start to type. The LQI Grid feature is broken, by the way -- it adds the gradings to the current segment but any comments written by you are lost (not saved).

You can also quickly export the Quality Report directly from the tool.

I could not find that feature...? To export the report would be a very important part of this tool. It should be a configurable export to e.g. Excel or HTML, so that users can customise it according to a particular client's actual LQA grid in Excel.

By the way, the LQA gradings are saved in the XLF file itself, when you save the XLF file. So the recipient would then simply open the XLF file in his Ocelot, to view the gradings.

==

The SDLXLIFF file that I tested did open in Trados 2015 afterwards, but all segments that I had edited with Ocelot returned critical errors (these errors make it impossible for me to edit those segments in Trados again, although I am able to see the text in the segments):

ocelot errors

But I suppose that this is not a problem, since the purpose of the tool is not to *edit* an XLF file in such a way that the user can re-use it in the original program, but rather it is a tool to grade XLF files according to an LQA grid, and to make edits that are meant for display only (i.e. the translator can then view the edits on his own computer, but only in Ocelot).

It's Open Source, so can be improved by the community.

Well, if you market it specifically as an LQA assistant, then there is some potential for it. But it needs to be made more user-friendly with regard to typing, editing, moving between segments etc, and obviously the LQI Grid feature has to be fixed so that it works. And you have to find a way to transfer the LQA grid (i.e. the grid definitions) between computers.

Also, I like the fact that you can flag mistakes on the fly...

I think this is actually the main feature of the tool.

[Edited at 2016-12-22 11:59 GMT]

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your analysis! Dec 22, 2016

Samuel,

thank you so much for your feedback. I think all of these problems are easy fixes and I can add them to the backlog. What else do you think it would make Ocelot an attractive CAT tool for freelancers?

I've always been dreaming of a CAT tool that it's free, customizable, light, and that runs on both Mac and Window.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What are your gripes about OmegaT? Dec 22, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
I've always been dreaming of a CAT tool that it's free, customizable, light, and that runs on both Mac and Window.

What are your gripes about OmegaT?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
And Heartsome Translation Studio? Dec 22, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

FrancescoP wrote:

What are your gripes about OmegaT?

And Heartsome Translation Studio, to be fair.

Didier

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heartsome and OmegaT Dec 22, 2016

Didier,

you can find a review I wrote a year ago on Heartsome:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/heartsome-transaltion-studio-good-bad-francesco-pugliano?trk=mp-author-card

I haven't check back in a year, so maybe something has changed.

Samuel,

I can check again OmegaT a
... See more
Didier,

you can find a review I wrote a year ago on Heartsome:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/heartsome-transaltion-studio-good-bad-francesco-pugliano?trk=mp-author-card

Samuel,

I can check again OmegaT and get back to you. What is your impression in the meanwhile? And if I may ask, what CAT tool do you use in your daily work?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No need to get back to me Dec 22, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
I can check again OmegaT and get back to you.

There's no need. You said "I've always been dreaming of a CAT tool that it's free, customizable, light, and that runs on both Mac and Windows" and I assumed that you had already checked OmegaT and had found it to be sadly lacking.

But if you do take a second look, just make sure you get OmegaT (which is actively being developed) and not OmegaT+ (whose author had forked from OmegaT many years ago and added some of his own customisations, some of which were eventually included in OmegaT as well).

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 23, 2016

I tried both versions a year ago. Just checking again if there's been any progress.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Updates in OmegaT (slightly off-topic) Dec 23, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
I tried both versions a year ago. Just checking again if there's been any progress.

Progress in OmegaT+ since 1 year ago:

None.

Progress in OmegaT since 1 year ago:

Changes requested by users: * Allow searches across source, target simultaneously [ here ] * Flexible use of spellcheck (with and w/o locale) [ here ] * New team mode implementation [ here ] * Update LanguageTool to 3.3 [ here ] * Dismiss auto-completer window after hitting right/left arrow keys [ here ] * Support prefix search for dictionary [ here ] * Support ssh-agent for git public key authentication [ here ] * Put archive contents in self-titled root folder for all distributions [ here ] * Add action menus to panes [ here ] * Notify user when minimized panes have content [ here ] * Add Segment Properties pane [ here ] * Emacs-style keyboard navigation in autocompleter [ here ] * Add GUI aligner tool [ here ] * Update Lucene to 5.2.1 [ here ] * Apply aggressive font fallback to Search results [ here ] * Handle multiple selection in Project Files list context menu [ here ] * Compatibility with MED format [ here ] * Scripting Editor Enhancements [ here ] * Perform case folding when looking up dictionary entries [ here ] * Show glossary entries in tooltips on TransTips marks [ here ] * Port build system to Gradle [ here ] * Bundle spelling dictionaries [ here ] * Cull excessive English stop words list [ here ] * Add tool for creating team projects [ here ] * Paralellize match statistics calculations [ here ] * Make scripts cancelable [ here ] * Add history prediction and completion [ here ] * Make SRT filter robust against inconsistent EOL chars [ here ] * Script to adapt match tags to target [ here ] * Improve handling of tags and custom tags for RTL languages [ here ] * Add Insert Unicode Control Character menu and right-click menu [ here ] * Allow width-insensitive search [ here ] * Re-use search window(s) with a shortcut [ here ] * Allow moving the cursor anywhere in the editor [ here ] * Add menus to the Search window [ here ] * Improve case matching in glossary auto-completer [ here ] * Keep top Machine Translation pane item visible [ here ] * Keep top Alternative Translation match visible [ here ] * Open help in external browser [ here ] * Make it possible to create dictionary plugins [ here ] * Improve editor performance with very large files [ here ] * Immediately apply changes to automatic save interval [ here ] * Filters for Java Properties XML and Schematron [ here ] * Open source & target files from the Project Files window [ here ] * Support Undo and Redo in the Notes pane [ here ] * Add sentence case to Shift+F3 case change [ here ] * Improve glossary matching of terms containing numbers [ here ] * Allow suppressing MT retrieval for translated segments [ here ] * Ctrl-M manual call of MT on translated segments [ here ] * Machine translate only current segment, on demand [ here ] * Make URLs in Comments, Notes, Glossary panes clickable [ here ] * Back up preferences when a loading error occurs [ here ] * Set focus to "Search for" field if search returns zero hits [ here ] * Allow disabling unescaping of Unicode literals (\uXXXX) in Java Resource Bundle filter [ here ] * Lazily load StarDict dictionary contents [ here ] * Improve explanation text in the Search window [ here ] * Automatically replace glossary hits when inserting source text [ here ] * Allow excluding orphan segments from search results [ here ] * Show revision number in version string [ here ] * Mac OS X: It is now possible to make the project files list "truly" full-screen. On OS X 10.11 this means you can have the main window and the project files window open side-by-side in split view.

Other changes: * Replace glossary hits now supports multi-word glossary replacements * The default memory allocation is now 1024 MB on all platforms * There's now a Lucene Polish tokenizer * When the list of online spelling dictionaries is displayed, it is possible to double-click on a dictionary instead of pressing Install * It's possible to disable individual autocompleter views * When a filter is applied to the Project Files dialog (simply by typing characters), the filter is reflected in the title -- e.g., Project Files (2 of 48) -- and the filter pattern is highlighted in the file paths. * In the script nbsp.groovy, it is now possible to replace straight apostrophes with curly ones. At the beginning of the script, def fix_apostrophes = false; must be replaced with def fix_apostrophes = true; * In the Nbsp script, % was added to the list of characters that must be preceded by a non-breaking space * The Windows setup program can now be launched in any of the supported languages, regardless of the languages installed in Windows * Revised user manual * Filter for Wordpress XML export * The appearance under Windows "high-contrast" themes is improved * Support 3.0.0 StarDict dictionaries * To reflect TaaS's change of policy, a key is now mandatory to use the service * Exclude .DS_Store files from translation by default * When using the line length limit in the Text filter, the filter tries preventing cutting after "\" and ":" and before "{" and ":" * Updated documentation * spellcheck.groovy has a new option to ignore segments where source=target * A new script, Strip Bidi Marks (strip_bidi_marks.groovy) allows removing bidi marks in the current segment * It's now possible to have an alternative translation where the translation is the same but the note is different * The Open XML filter now loads Visio 2013 files with the extension * .vsdx. * In the online help, external links will open in the user default browser * In the Resource Bundler filter (.properties) whitespace-only lines are not modified anymore * The About dialog now indicates whether the current Java VM is 32-bit or 64-bit * A new script (nbsp.groovy) replaces spaces with non-breaking spaces where appropriate in French.

The URLs don't work, and I don't know why. I blame ProZ.com's broken forum software that hasn't been fixed since a decade ago.

[Edited at 2016-12-23 12:08 GMT]

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Heartsome hasn't changed Dec 23, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:

Nothing changed since the initial commit in 2014:
https://github.com/heartsome/translationstudio8/commits/master

Didier

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Nothing from OmegaT+ was used in OmegaT Dec 23, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
whose author had forked from OmegaT many years ago and added some of his own customisations, some of which were eventually included in OmegaT as well).

Nothing from OmegaT+ was used in OmegaT.

Perhaps we developed similar features, so that would give you that impression.

Didier

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ocelot 2.2: Open Source CAT tool

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »