Adobe Acrobat: how do I show Spanish characters without an embedded font?
Thread poster: Patricia Myers
Patricia Myers
Patricia Myers
United States
Local time: 23:25
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jun 4, 2002

Hi!

I\'m doing a translation using Adobe Acrobat. When I was going to modify one of the files the client sent me I got this message:

\"Embedded font is not installed on your system. To edit text in this font you must unembed the font. Unembed the font now?\"

Okay, I clicked yes and it works but when I try to use Spanish characters such as accents it doesn\'t work. It doesn\'t recognize the characters. Does anyone know why? How can I
... See more
Hi!

I\'m doing a translation using Adobe Acrobat. When I was going to modify one of the files the client sent me I got this message:

\"Embedded font is not installed on your system. To edit text in this font you must unembed the font. Unembed the font now?\"

Okay, I clicked yes and it works but when I try to use Spanish characters such as accents it doesn\'t work. It doesn\'t recognize the characters. Does anyone know why? How can I solve this problem?
Collapse

Art Moiseev (X)
Art Moiseev (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
solution Jun 5, 2002

Because the font is not installed, as the message says. Acrobat uses its own post-script fonts (type 1). If you are using a Spanish version of Acrobat, some Spanish type 1 fonts must have already been installed. If your Acrobat is other than Spanish, you will probably have to buy and install appropriate fonts. If the name of the font available to your system does not match the font used in the document, you may wish to define a font substitution pair (somewhere in options).

... See more
Because the font is not installed, as the message says. Acrobat uses its own post-script fonts (type 1). If you are using a Spanish version of Acrobat, some Spanish type 1 fonts must have already been installed. If your Acrobat is other than Spanish, you will probably have to buy and install appropriate fonts. If the name of the font available to your system does not match the font used in the document, you may wish to define a font substitution pair (somewhere in options).

I think that editing a document directly in pdf format is annoying. Consider creating a document in Word, then convert it into pdf using the Distiller (or PDFMaker). Type 42 fonts (that is, normal Windows True Type fonts) embedding must be enabled in the job options. See also www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/28006.htm.
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:25
English to Spanish
Can you install the font to your computer? Jun 5, 2002

If it´s not a commercial font you can certainly find it online; if it is, you must ask the client for it and just copy it to your windows/font folder.

Hope it helps,

Rossana

tongue tied
tongue tied
Local time: 07:25
English
Accent in PDF Jun 5, 2002

It is possible to get the accents to show by typing them in Word then pasting into the PDF file. Cumbersome I know, but so is working directly in a PDF file.

The other pitfall, especially if translating into a language that is longer in words than English, is Acrobat has no word-wrap feature or the ability to insert new lines.

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Versión en Español Jun 5, 2002

Patricia,

Tienes que descargar la versión en español. Yo tengo ambas. Ve al web y busca Adobe Acrobat y selecciona la de español.

Saludos,

Belkis

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try Windows fonts Jun 5, 2002

Try to install international support in Windows 9x or got to Country Settings in Win 2000 and choose the appropriate codepage for Spanish. It is 1255 for Windows.

You should be able to show all spanish characters with Arial and all other system fonts - and Acrobat is able to read them.

But I don´t know enough about your problem to provide a really good solution.

Perhaps obtaining the necessary font from your customer or from other sources could be better help.
... See more
Try to install international support in Windows 9x or got to Country Settings in Win 2000 and choose the appropriate codepage for Spanish. It is 1255 for Windows.

You should be able to show all spanish characters with Arial and all other system fonts - and Acrobat is able to read them.

But I don´t know enough about your problem to provide a really good solution.

Perhaps obtaining the necessary font from your customer or from other sources could be better help.

HTH

Jerzy
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You'll have to buy the font, I'm afraid. Jun 5, 2002

A font can be embedded in different ways. In some cases, Acrobat includes only those characters in a document that are actually used. In other cases, the complete font is embedded.

Presuming there are no Spanish characters in the source document, Acrobat probably did not include these characters.

The only (legal) way to solve this problem is to buy the font, provided my assumption is correct. Let us know if you need an explanation on how to check the em
... See more
A font can be embedded in different ways. In some cases, Acrobat includes only those characters in a document that are actually used. In other cases, the complete font is embedded.

Presuming there are no Spanish characters in the source document, Acrobat probably did not include these characters.

The only (legal) way to solve this problem is to buy the font, provided my assumption is correct. Let us know if you need an explanation on how to check the embedded font (complete vs. partial character set).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat: how do I show Spanish characters without an embedded font?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »