How to handle word matches in Wordfast Anywhere (free online version)?
Thread poster: fairylight
fairylight
fairylight  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 13, 2018

Hello,

I have always charged my clients a fixed translation rate per word without applying matches discounts for 100% matches, fuzzy matches etc. Now I'm about to enter into a contract where the agency applies matches discounts to their rates. I use Wordfast Anywhere (free online version of wordfast) and have no knowledge on how to apply matches discounts for translated files. I would be grateful if provided instructions on how it is done. Should I send a specific file to the client
... See more
Hello,

I have always charged my clients a fixed translation rate per word without applying matches discounts for 100% matches, fuzzy matches etc. Now I'm about to enter into a contract where the agency applies matches discounts to their rates. I use Wordfast Anywhere (free online version of wordfast) and have no knowledge on how to apply matches discounts for translated files. I would be grateful if provided instructions on how it is done. Should I send a specific file to the client along with translation file or matches can be seen automatically in translated files? Please forgive if this is a simplistic question, I have no experience with counting matches or knowledge in the topic whatsoever. Is it even possible to track matches in Wordfast Anywhere version of Wordfast? Thank you in advance for answers.

Irina
Collapse

fairylight
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast anywhere recognizes matches Jul 13, 2018

I just read the user manual for Wordfast Anywhere and it says that it recognizes 100% and fuzzy matches. Now the remaining question is, how do I deliver translations so the agency is able to see matches in a document and apply discounts accordingly? Thank you.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
File → Analyze → Analyze Document Jul 13, 2018

But the stats will not necessarily match the results that your client gets with their own count method.

[Edited at 2018-07-13 12:42 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Irina Jul 13, 2018

Irina Risnik wrote:
I use Wordfast Anywhere (WFA) and have no knowledge on how to apply match discounts for translated files.

Matches are calculated against a translation memory. If the client supplies you with a translation memory (TM), you have to load that memory in WFA and then analyze the file against it. If you have your own TM and you want to give the client discounts based on your own TM, you should load (or select) your own TM in WFA and analyze the file against it. This will give you some statistics about the 100% matches, fuzzy matches, repetitions and non-matched words.

To analyze against a TM, use TMs & GlossariesSetup, and make sure the relevant TM is marked as "Active". WFA analyzes files against all TMs marked as "Active".

However, if the client supplies no TM, then you must analyze the file without using a TM. This will give you only statistics for repetitions (and non-repeating segments).

Then use FileAnalyzeAnalyze Document as Esperantisto suggested, and select the option to download the analysis in Excel format. In the Excel file, you have to multiply column C (the word count) with the rate that is applied to each match category. This can be tricky, but if you can tell us what kinds of discounts the client is asking for, we can tell you how to use that spreadsheet.

PS. Clients who want fuzzy discounts often provide the translator with their own calculated totals, so if you trust the client, you can simply accept the analysis and calculated price that they tell you.

[Edited at 2018-07-13 13:13 GMT]

fairylight
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tariffs Jul 13, 2018

Hi Samuel,

Thank you very much for your reply. Here are the discounts the company wants to apply:

PERFECT MATCH* - Words x 0,00 % usual tariff
REPETITIONS - Words x 10,00 % usual tariff
100 % - Words x 15,00 % usual tariff
95 % - 99 % - Words x 20,00 % usual tariff
85 % - 94 % - Words x 50,00 % usual tariff
75 % - 84 % - Words x 66,00 % usual tariff
50 % - 74 % - Words x 100,00 % usual tariff
NEW WORDS - Words x 100,00 % usual t
... See more
Hi Samuel,

Thank you very much for your reply. Here are the discounts the company wants to apply:

PERFECT MATCH* - Words x 0,00 % usual tariff
REPETITIONS - Words x 10,00 % usual tariff
100 % - Words x 15,00 % usual tariff
95 % - 99 % - Words x 20,00 % usual tariff
85 % - 94 % - Words x 50,00 % usual tariff
75 % - 84 % - Words x 66,00 % usual tariff
50 % - 74 % - Words x 100,00 % usual tariff
NEW WORDS - Words x 100,00 % usual tariff
*Unchanged parts for updating projects of existing translations

Could you please tell me how to use the spreadsheet with them? Just in case I need it, because the agency is trustworty and I will accept their calculated price if provided.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Irina Jul 13, 2018

Irina Risnik wrote:
Could you please tell me how to use the spreadsheet with them? Just in case I need it, because the agency is trustworty and I will accept their calculated price if provided.

Okay, I'm 99% sure I got this right (I'm rubbish when it comes to Excel). What you do, is you copy column C (i.e. word counts) from your WFA analysis file into this Excel file. You have to put your usual per-word rate in cell G11 (yellow). In this screenshot, I used "0.16" (i.e. 16c per word) as the example. The "weighted word" count should appear in cell H11, and the final amount should appear in cell I11.

You can get the final amount by adding up all the weighted amounts (i.e. all the numbers in column I), or you can get the final amount by multiplying the weighted word count with your usual per-word rate.

wfa wwc2

You're going to have to break it to your client that WFA doesn't have "perfect match" capability (perhaps when your client hears this, they'll want to change how much they pay for 100% matches).

[Edited at 2018-07-13 15:40 GMT]

fairylight
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got it! Jul 13, 2018

I got it now, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle word matches in Wordfast Anywhere (free online version)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »