Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh really? Aug 22, 2018

Richard Purdom wrote:

....a country always at the forefront of innovation---

Where they still have user manuals you have to read before you can use computer software.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:02
Japanese to English
+ ...
Efficiency of CAT tools Aug 22, 2018

Recently I used Google Translate for a complex medical text in Japanese. The results were laughable. Some of the names of the authors of the article popped up in Mandarin pronunciation rather than Japanese, syntax was thrown to the wind and one key word was given five different translations by GT.

This reminded me of an old comedy routine:

If you have enough monkeys, enough typewriters and enough time, sooner or later the monkeys will write the Great Books.
Snatc
... See more
Recently I used Google Translate for a complex medical text in Japanese. The results were laughable. Some of the names of the authors of the article popped up in Mandarin pronunciation rather than Japanese, syntax was thrown to the wind and one key word was given five different translations by GT.

If you have enough monkeys, enough typewriters and enough time, sooner or later the monkeys will write the Great Books.
Snatching a page from one typewriter, sure enough: "To be or not to be, that is the grfzlplk".

Nuf said?
Collapse

Tom in London

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:02
Russian to English
Not CAT Aug 22, 2018

Michael Newton wrote:

Snatching a page from one typewriter, sure enough: "To be or not to be, that is the grfzlplk".

Nuf said?

Maybe I'm missing your point, but when we talk about CAT tools, we're not talking about Google Translate, or any other form of machine translation.

[Edited at 2018-08-22 12:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-22 13:56 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Matheus Chaud
expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Peter Close
Peter Close  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
Member (2012)
Greek to English
I prefer not to use a CAT tool Dec 14, 2021

I have been using versions of SDL Trados Studio for over ten years now and always find that is far easier to translate any text without it than with it. I have even had occasions when SDL Trados has refused to save a target Word version of a translation after I have translated 15,000 words or more and regularly have to waste time due to it failing to perform a function that it is meant to be able to perform, such as retrofitting a reviewed target file or failing to save changes. I therefore usua... See more
I have been using versions of SDL Trados Studio for over ten years now and always find that is far easier to translate any text without it than with it. I have even had occasions when SDL Trados has refused to save a target Word version of a translation after I have translated 15,000 words or more and regularly have to waste time due to it failing to perform a function that it is meant to be able to perform, such as retrofitting a reviewed target file or failing to save changes. I therefore usually ask for a higher rate if a customer insists that I do a translation in Trados and always do my best to avoid having to submit an sdlxliff file together with a Word version of the translation, and will even go to the extent of rejecting such jobs if I suspect that Trados may not handle any translation adequately smoothly.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Efficiency of using CAT tools in comparison to using none

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »