Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Shocking news, at least to me Jun 20, 2005

This is really bad news. Trados is the best translation memory tool for Arabic. SDLX is not fully compatible with bidi languages and it has many flaws. I am sure this will have a bad impact on most Arabic translators.

I hope SDL will keep supporting Trados; I doubt it though, but let's keep our fingers crossed!

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:54
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try DVX Jun 20, 2005

Dear Mohamed, I'm going to stick to Deja Vu and I prefer to watch this SDL/Trados problem as an outsider

[Edited at 2005-06-20 16:34]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:54
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Trados will not cease to exist overnight Jun 20, 2005

For anyone whose favourite CAT tool is Trados:
If you check out either of the websites (trados.com, sdl.com), you will see that Trados is here to stay for at least five more years. Actually, the product will be further developed in the future. Software engineers from both companies will work on additional, more convergent functionality in both product suites.
In my perception, while Trados will continue to support all of its existing functionality, including bi-directional languages,
... See more
For anyone whose favourite CAT tool is Trados:
If you check out either of the websites (trados.com, sdl.com), you will see that Trados is here to stay for at least five more years. Actually, the product will be further developed in the future. Software engineers from both companies will work on additional, more convergent functionality in both product suites.
In my perception, while Trados will continue to support all of its existing functionality, including bi-directional languages, SDL will most probably integrate this, and possibly other, features into its own product.

I am not affiliated with either of these companies, and my favourite CAT tool is neither of these.

Off-topic: If you check out the Trados website, you can see that the traditional light blue background is gone and the greenish background of SDL is now used instead.

You will never have to see the same website again!

Csaba
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:54
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just found this in my inbox: Jun 20, 2005

Dear Language Professional:
I am very pleased to announce two exciting and monumental milestones for TRADOS, our industry and for you:

SDL and TRADOS join forces - More Focus on You
TRADOS has now become part of SDL International, forming one company with strong focus to better meet your needs as professional translators. The new company's commitments to you include:

Dedicating our combined world class resources to deliver more frequent software innovations
... See more
Dear Language Professional:
I am very pleased to announce two exciting and monumental milestones for TRADOS, our industry and for you:

SDL and TRADOS join forces - More Focus on You
TRADOS has now become part of SDL International, forming one company with strong focus to better meet your needs as professional translators. The new company's commitments to you include:

Dedicating our combined world class resources to deliver more frequent software innovations, thereby making your work easier and more productive
Supporting the current versions of both SDLX 2005 and TRADOS 7 until 2010
Providing clear and comfortable upgrade paths to next generation software
Delivering ground-breaking, quality customer service and support
Go here to learn more.

TRADOS 7 Freelance is now released - Raising the Standard
Speaking of new innovations, TRADOS 7 Freelance is officially released today! TRADOS 7 Freelance delivers the critical features you have asked for to complete jobs faster and earn even more business including:
Easier to use interface including AutoText
Ability to search and use terms from multiple glossaries
The option to translate Word files in TagEditor
Support for Hindi and 20 other new languages
Full compatibility with all XML file types - XLIFF, DITA and conditional XML
TMX, the open TM standard
And much more!

15% Early Bird Savings on all orders of TRADOS 7 ends Monday, June 27, 2005!
Hurry; order your new licenses and upgrades of TRADOS 7 Freelance today and receive a 15% discount ...this offer ends in just one week. Also, you can still order Term Extract Freelance for 25% off until June 27, 2005. Please place your orders at www.translationzone.com.

Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the combining of TRADOS and SDL or the release of TRADOS 7. I will direct your inquiry to the appropriate resource.

We are all very excited about the new opportunities before us and look forward to working closer with you than ever before.

Best regards,

Mike Kidd
Worldwide Vice President,
TranslationZone
Collapse

Jake Estrada FCIL CL
Jake Estrada FCIL CL  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 18:54
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
how are we going to benefit from this Jun 21, 2005

Let's hope that the result would be a product or products that would offer the best that we enjoy from both SDL and Trados. If so, CAT users could only benefit from this development.

Nevertheless, acquisitions as in any other industry (especially mergers of the top players) often raise the question of what will become of healthy competition. There remain many other (albeit smaller) competitors out there, and they should think of this as an opportunity and not as a major blow--even
... See more
Let's hope that the result would be a product or products that would offer the best that we enjoy from both SDL and Trados. If so, CAT users could only benefit from this development.

Nevertheless, acquisitions as in any other industry (especially mergers of the top players) often raise the question of what will become of healthy competition. There remain many other (albeit smaller) competitors out there, and they should think of this as an opportunity and not as a major blow--even at least just for the sake of the consumers.
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
SDL and Trados : weblog comments Jun 22, 2005

see comments by language industry writer Andrew J at:

http://www.multilingualblog.com/index.php/weblog/sdl_acquires_trados/

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Jean-Pierre Coeurnelle
Jean-Pierre Coeurnelle
English to French
+ ...
Interregnum Jun 22, 2005

SDL (http://www.sdl.com) is still talking about plans, though Trados is now apparently only to be found on SDL's site (SDL colours and all).

What's holding up the official annoucement?

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 11:54
English to Polish
+ ...
I expect it's shareholder approval for SDL Jul 5, 2005

I doubt if this acquisition could go ahead without shareholder approval since SDL is a publicly quoted company.

It's looks as if it's all over bar the shouting though doesn't it?

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 11:54
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados Purchase is approved Jul 8, 2005

I just got a press release from SDL that the Trados purchase has got shareholder approval, so is therefore going ahead...

SDL Completes TRADOS Acquisition

Creates world leading Global Information Management company

Maidenhead, UK - 8th July 2005

SDL plc ("SDL"), the world's leading provider of global information management solutions, announced today the completion of its acquisition of TRADOS, Inc. ("TRADOS") following approval by SDL and TRADO
... See more
I just got a press release from SDL that the Trados purchase has got shareholder approval, so is therefore going ahead...

SDL Completes TRADOS Acquisition

Creates world leading Global Information Management company

Maidenhead, UK - 8th July 2005

SDL plc ("SDL"), the world's leading provider of global information management solutions, announced today the completion of its acquisition of TRADOS, Inc. ("TRADOS") following approval by SDL and TRADOS shareholders.
As a result of this acquisition, SDL is uniquely positioned to support growth in the $8bn market for global information management software and services. The enlarged group enables businesses to manage global content through its complete lifecycle, with:

...etc..
Collapse

Shu Ma
Shu Ma  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
I prefer XTM so didnt really affect me Jan 11, 2015

I prefer XTM

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You made my day! Jan 12, 2015

Hi Shu,

This post reminds me a little of "Forever young" where the main character wakes up in the future I'm glad you weren't affected though!

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News: SDL proposes to acquire Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »