Best CAT tool for .RESX? Trados vs. others?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2007

Hi all,

I have Trados 7.5, and I'm able to open .RESX files in TagEditor.

But I wonder if other CAT tools are preferable.
I know that specialized loc tools like Passolo and Catalyst are supposed to be "better" at handling this.

What's the trade-off is I use Trados, and is there a risk that something goes wrong?

Any other experiences or tools recommended?

TIA,

Jan

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
English to Spanish
Alternative tool Feb 8, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi,

You can translate ResX files with Heartsome XLIFF Editor.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Passolo... Feb 8, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

I have Trados 7.5, and I'm able to open .RESX files in TagEditor.

I know that specialized loc tools like Passolo and Catalyst are supposed to be "better" at handling this.

IMHO, Passolo.

I own licences of both programs.

The translator edition of Catalyst is cheaper (500€) but when you must to update your project, it may be fastidious if the project is big (a complete retranslation is needed, even if it's automated, it should be checked).
Passolo Professional with .Net add-in is something about 2150€, i.e. rather expensive but if you update projects and deal with several languages, it's worth this money.
Of course, if you translate often RESX files.
If not, better forgot it.

A comparable Catalyst edition costs 4500€.

You may try RC-Wintrans or Multilizer too.
And some other.

They're all (very) expensive but if you need graphical preview, it's a must.

Jan Sundström wrote:
What's the trade-off is I use Trados, and is there a risk that something goes wrong?

Too much non translatable text is imported.
A bloody mess, if you make an error.
No graphical preview.

Cheers
GG

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not too much choice Feb 8, 2007

I would normally say that almost anything is preferable to TagEditor, but in this case, it seems you don't have too much choice, unless you go for HS and you can keep track of where you are seeing only one line at a time.
SDL Trados 2006 supposedly supports RESX but I'm not sure whether that refers to the SDL grid part or not.

David Turner

[Edited at 2007-02-08 16:44]

[Edited at 2007-02-08 16:44]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
English to Spanish
Use context view Feb 8, 2007

David Turner wrote:
it seems you don't have too much choice, unless you go for HS and you can keep track of where you are seeing only one line at a time.

When translating in Heartsome XLIFF Editor you can use the context view to see current segment, 2 previous segments and 2 following ones at a time.

Regards,
Rodolfo

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Lack of context Feb 9, 2007

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
When translating in Heartsome XLIFF Editor you can use the context view to see current segment, 2 previous segments and 2 following ones at a time.

Hmm... I'm not sure that's the way translators work (or least not the way I do!). A translator often need to read the first couple of pages of a text or the end, scroll down to the middle or a particular section, flip backwards and forwards looking for context and terms or view two sections at the same time. Otherwise you're blind.
It might just work translating unrelated lists, error messages or comments but otherwise I would say it is the main stumbling block to using the tool.

Regards,
David Turner

jeff2
jeff2
Local time: 14:29
My product may solve your problem Feb 8, 2012

Jan Sundström wrote:

TIA,

Jan

If you don't mind me making a (very late) recommendation exactly five years after the original post (what are the odds!), I'm the developer of a professional resx localization tool that makes both the developer's and translator's job extremely easy. The product is free for translators and very inexpensive for developers. For developers in particular, it's specifically designed to localize ".resx" files and is a highly effective tool I sell at a fraction of the cost of all competitive products. It's designed to eliminate all of the work a programmer normally has to deal with when localizing their ".resx" files, so it's definitely worth checking out. Please note however that I stand to profit from this (in the interest of full disclosure). Most Windows developers will nevertheless benefit from this product so its recommendation could be beneficial for their translators as well (and the translator's program itself is also very good and getting better). See my site http://www.hexadigm.com for complete details.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 16, 2012

Thanks a lot for the tip, Jeff!

I'll definitely look into this next time a resx comes around...

jeff2
jeff2
Local time: 14:29
My product may solve your problem Mar 8, 2012

Jan Sundström wrote:

Thanks a lot for the tip, Jeff!

I'll definitely look into this next time a resx comes around...

Hi Jan. No problem at all and thanks for your interest. Sorry for not responding sooner (just came to my attention).

Regards,

Jeff

[Edited at 2012-03-08 19:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best CAT tool for .RESX? Trados vs. others?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »