Working with US agencies
Thread poster: Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
Apr 1, 2017

I have a few questions regarding working with US agencies:

I’m from Croatia and I’ve not ever worked with a US agency, so I don’t know things work over there.

If I’m contacting an agency for employment or freelance work do I write a typical cover letter in which I pitch myself to them or should I just say “I’m looking for a job/freelance work. My languages are English and Croatian” and leave it at that?

Do US ag
... See more
I have a few questions regarding working with US agencies:

I’m from Croatia and I’ve not ever worked with a US agency, so I don’t know things work over there.

If I’m contacting an agency for employment or freelance work do I write a typical cover letter in which I pitch myself to them or should I just say “I’m looking for a job/freelance work. My languages are English and Croatian” and leave it at that?

Do US agencies hire in house translators or do they work exclusively with freelancers?

Do I have any chance, as a Croatian citizen living in Croatia, of getting a full time job (not freelance) at a US agency?

My only two languages are English and Croatian. I'm a native speaker of Croatian and I have an MA in English. I don't know how much of a need there is for translators of Croatian in the US.

[Edited at 2017-04-01 12:40 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
German to English
US agencies Apr 3, 2017

I would put together a CV/résumé/brochure in English and send it to agencies. However, you'll need to do a little research in order to find the person to send it to. You'll have to look at the information contained on the agency's web page. Sending it blindly to agencies won't work. As it is, you can expect a meager response rate.

Most agencies these days hire freelancers. I doubt that as a Croatian citizen you will find a job of any kind in the US these days. I can't go into the
... See more
I would put together a CV/résumé/brochure in English and send it to agencies. However, you'll need to do a little research in order to find the person to send it to. You'll have to look at the information contained on the agency's web page. Sending it blindly to agencies won't work. As it is, you can expect a meager response rate.

Most agencies these days hire freelancers. I doubt that as a Croatian citizen you will find a job of any kind in the US these days. I can't go into the reasons for this as Proz does not allow political discussions.

I suspect that the need for English > Croatian translators in the US is very limited.

Best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with US agencies

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »