Credentials: (how) do they work in your country?
Thread poster: Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
French to English
May 29, 2001

For those who have been following the various postings on these pages, you will no doubt be aware that this is a hotbed of contention! That does not mean that we should not channel all this hot air into something constructive. Why don\'t we pool our experience and ressources to see if and how regulation might help and, where it exists, how it might be improved.

I am curious about two particular aspects here, namely

1 - what the requirements are in your
... See more
For those who have been following the various postings on these pages, you will no doubt be aware that this is a hotbed of contention! That does not mean that we should not channel all this hot air into something constructive. Why don\'t we pool our experience and ressources to see if and how regulation might help and, where it exists, how it might be improved.

I am curious about two particular aspects here, namely

1 - what the requirements are in your country (if any), ie : types of qualifications and experience required to practice, length of training, various levels of training (eg : compared with the legal profession in England and Wales where there are barristers, solicitors, legal executives, licensed conveyancers - various levels and types of training each with specific and complementary roles to play);

2 - how an existing system works, your opinions on its efficacity and the degree of reliability placed upon it by would-be clients.

Please provide constructive criticism only. Don\'t just let off steam! Do not forget to state where you practice. (I realise that you may have a qualification from one country and practice/be accredited in another).

FYI, I live and work in France where the profession is not regulated at all, although highly reputable institutions do exist here to provide training.

The essence of this question is : should we be regulated ? If so, then how ?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-05-29 06:59 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Credentials: (how) do they work in your country?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »