Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
When, During Your Working Years, Did You Actually Start To Work As A Translator?
Thread poster: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
French to English
@expressisverbis Oct 20, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I was going to answer you, but the question was directed to Mervyn.
Please, try to come to the "Completely Frivolous Thread".
I am sure you will find it interesting, and you can regain a little of your joie de vivre

Thanks, but I'm not sure I have enough wit to contribute to that thread.

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Elizabeth Oct 20, 2020

You can contribute or not contribute, but it's there for a bit of a laugh, that's all, and you said you'd had a rough patch this year, so ...

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
When, During Your Working Years, Did You Actually Start To Work As A Translator? Oct 20, 2020

Barbara Cochran, MFA wrote:

Was it your first job after secondary school or college? Did you have another job or career first that was related to translation in some way, so that it seemed to be or was a logical transition at a certain point? Please share your always interesting stories!

From day 1

P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Elizabeth Oct 20, 2020

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

If you don't have enough wit, I don't have any, but I am still there to learn with fun.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Exy Oct 20, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

If you don't have enough wit, I don't have any, but I am still there to learn with fun.

Actually, you have. Your Internyet still makes me laugh from this morning.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 04:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, and no Oct 20, 2020

My first paid job (at age 12) was translating comic books, during the summer, for a (then small) publishing company. I only did it for a short while, but apparently I did it well, because years later I was hired by the same editor to work there full time translating, editing and proofreading textbooks

Fast-forward to now and, although my main focus has shifted from providing specialized translations to mostly working as a language/cultural consultant, I occasionally translate pro bo
... See more
My first paid job (at age 12) was translating comic books, during the summer, for a (then small) publishing company. I only did it for a short while, but apparently I did it well, because years later I was hired by the same editor to work there full time translating, editing and proofreading textbooks

Fast-forward to now and, although my main focus has shifted from providing specialized translations to mostly working as a language/cultural consultant, I occasionally translate pro bono for what I consider to be worthy causes (mostly related to the environment).

All in all, it has been quite an interesting ride.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Capitalization Of Every Word Oct 20, 2020

What Tom In London and Barbara Carrara, and apparently a few others, seem to, well, not be aware of is that if you're a Creative Writer, esp. if you have that credential like I do, you are entitled to capitalize any word that you want to.

Think of how e.e. cummings wrote every word in his poetry that I have read, and even his name, in lower case.

[Edited at 2020-10-20 14:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-20 15:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-20 17:06 GMT]

[Edited at
... See more
What Tom In London and Barbara Carrara, and apparently a few others, seem to, well, not be aware of is that if you're a Creative Writer, esp. if you have that credential like I do, you are entitled to capitalize any word that you want to.

Think of how e.e. cummings wrote every word in his poetry that I have read, and even his name, in lower case.

[Edited at 2020-10-20 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
no wonder - endowed with such a name.. Oct 20, 2020

...and wit? (added when prodded by the system hating unfilled space in topic body)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Barbara Oct 20, 2020

I agree that evidently you can do as you please with capital letters, and indeed I applaud this, as I do edward estlin, but this can only apply to your own domain, and so I should warn you not to run wild with the notion into other spheres over which you clearly have no authority. Creative writer or not, it's definitely "Tom in London", with that I in lower case, a choice made by Tom himself, which he's fully entitled to make.

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Rebecca Hendry
Elena Aclasto

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
After studies Oct 20, 2020

For living reasons, after several years of studying Chinese language at Taipei, just needed to go into it. I was 26 years old atm.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Oct 20, 2020

[Edited at 2020-10-20 18:38 GMT]

I would also add, in your defence (as if you need it...) that you used the capitals in your title line. Therefore, one could argue that title case rules apply. Just sayin'...

Barbara Cochran, MFA

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT Oct 20, 2020

What a knob. Was he, like, 17 or something? Did he also smoke to look cool and wear a cravat?

ThE TrOuBlE WiTh IdIoSyNcRaTiC OrThOgRaPhY IS ThAt It CaN GeT A BiT AnNoYiNg AfTeR A WhIlE.

I Often Wondered Why Microsoft Word Capitalises Every Word, Even A And The And And And Prepositions, When Nobody Else Does. But Now I Realise It’s Not Just Them.

And extraneous capitals definitely work well if you’re a Greengrocer. “Roll up, roll up. Get your lovely Potato’s here, just 20p a pound. Lovely ripe Tomatoe’s 60p a pound. Sweet Mangos’ a pound each. Best prices in Town. Even Cheaper than Argo’s.”

Can a Creative Writer also spel things just how they want?

Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 03:27
English to Russian
+ ...
When I was in the 6th grade Oct 20, 2020

of the comprehensive Special English School - all CAPS since this is the school's official name

I've translated two sentences into English for my dad's friend; don't ask me how great it was but the meaning was conveyed, and I earned a huge chocolate bar. A payment in kind is still a payment, so it was work.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Are you familiar with spoonerisms? Oct 20, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

The place is full of shining wits.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In a certain way, yes Oct 20, 2020

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

The place is full of shining wits.

We can find brilliant professionals here, it's true, but I am not a shining wit.
A few years ago, I used to change initial sounds or syllables of one or two words when I started to learn a certain language, but... now...
I am curious to know which name did not please Pavel: Exy or expressisverbis? My real given name?
One thing I am positive sure, they were not taken from any machine translation!
By the way, Pavel is a beautiful name.

Paweł Hamerski wrote:

...and wit? (added when prodded by the system hating unfilled space in topic body)

[Edited at 2020-10-20 21:19 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When, During Your Working Years, Did You Actually Start To Work As A Translator?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »