Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is an \"economically viable\" language combination?
Thread poster: eurotransl (X)
Blanca Rodriguez
Blanca Rodriguez
Local time: 19:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2001

Nick,

I agree with everything you have written. I actually chose my language pairs only considering my personal preferences and not the market. I have to admit that I didn\'t choose French because everybody in Spain does English and French and it is always good to have a \"big\" language and a not so common one... and German is still not common in Spain. Also, I have to admit my absolute unability to learn French.
... See more
Nick,

I agree with everything you have written. I actually chose my language pairs only considering my personal preferences and not the market. I have to admit that I didn\'t choose French because everybody in Spain does English and French and it is always good to have a \"big\" language and a not so common one... and German is still not common in Spain. Also, I have to admit my absolute unability to learn French.

But I think the big issue is the areas you specialize at. I think there is always a good market in a determined area for each combination, no matter how weird or commonn it may be. The thing is being comfortable with your work. Personally I find producing a high quality work more dificult when I don\'t like the topic of the translation. For instance, I hate legal and economic translations, so I just don\'t take them. I know I\'m banning myself from a big piece fo the cake... But I just don\'t like that cake. Instead, I focuse on things like IT, website loclization, environment, biology or other stuff I like. There is still plenty of work and I can enjoy doing it instead of struggling through each word. Our work is already hard enough to make it harder!

I mean, the money isn\'t worth learning a pair of languages I don\'t like and working in a field I hate.

What do you think?
[addsig]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is an \"economically viable\" language combination?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »