Interpreting code of ethics
Thread poster: eman_m (X)
eman_m (X)
eman_m (X)
Australia
Sep 27, 2020

As interpreters what do you do if you recognised that you know the client from before however this client is not a relative or friend but you have mutual friends and you met before but no close relationship? Do you accept the job or not ? Do you consider that a conflict of interest?

[Edited at 2020-09-27 11:34 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:27
Serbian to English
+ ...
Where exactly is the conflict of interest supposed to be? Sep 29, 2020

When you say "conflict of interest" you probably mean conflict of your own interests with ... ???? whose interests exactly?

And in which way? What exactly is the potential problem you are worried about?

I must admit I'm puzzled by your question.

Inga Petkelyte

Dr. Taylor
Dr. Taylor
United States
Greek (Ancient) to English
Credibility is the issue Nov 6, 2020

If you enjoy a reputation of being consistently unbiased in the field, you might undertake the project without negative consequence. But more than likely, some with blind prejudice will still criticize you.

I think your topic is fraught with danger, since not everyone is cognizant of the fact that ethics is subjective and morality absolute: what is ethical in one culture may be unethical in another, while morality is independent of human interpretation. And history is replete with
... See more
If you enjoy a reputation of being consistently unbiased in the field, you might undertake the project without negative consequence. But more than likely, some with blind prejudice will still criticize you.

I think your topic is fraught with danger, since not everyone is cognizant of the fact that ethics is subjective and morality absolute: what is ethical in one culture may be unethical in another, while morality is independent of human interpretation. And history is replete with instances where people suffered greatly because their leaders in ignorance deemed their invented ethical guidelines to be moral, when the opposite was true. Indeed, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Because of the nature of your topic, it seems your decision to accept the assignment will depend on who you ultimately serve.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Chao Sun
Chao Sun
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Code of Ethics Nov 11, 2020

I think if there is no conflict of interest, it is OK to accept the task, but if there is, you should disclose that or decline the job.

DYYWong
DYYWong
Australia
Local time: 18:27
Conflict of Interest May 11, 2021

I'm a fellow student of interpreting, so based on what we've been taught, my understanding is that if an assignment offered to me involves a friend, or a relative, or an employer, then I am conflicted and must declare the fact. It appears that a perceived conflict of interest may be just as much of an issue as an actual conflict of interest. I may think I am not conflicted, but others may feel otherwise.

So the safest approach is to declare that I know the party socially or through
... See more
I'm a fellow student of interpreting, so based on what we've been taught, my understanding is that if an assignment offered to me involves a friend, or a relative, or an employer, then I am conflicted and must declare the fact. It appears that a perceived conflict of interest may be just as much of an issue as an actual conflict of interest. I may think I am not conflicted, but others may feel otherwise.

So the safest approach is to declare that I know the party socially or through the community or have had any dealings with others that may be in conflict with one or other of the parties.

Upon declaring, the parties may still be happy for me to continue to interpret, then it is an indication of the parties' trust in me as a professional. If the clients ask me to withdraw, there is no option on my part but to do so.

The important factor to consider is if I believe I can be totally impartial. If I have doubts that I can fulfill this ethical principle, I should withdraw from the assignment, and the withdrawal must be handled properly.
Collapse

MollyRose

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Court? May 11, 2021

If it is some sort of legal proceeding or some deeply secretive confidential crap, maybe... otherwise, who cares???

Liviu-Lee Roth

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:27
Serbian to English
+ ...
To put it in plain English ... May 14, 2021

What is this nonsense?

If you are a real professional it makes no difference whatsoever who are the parties you are helping to communicate with each other.

Back to basics: you are supposed to convey exactly what was said, not to distort it according to your own (or the other party's) preferences.

So the fact that you know personally or not one or both (or more) of them shouldn't impact in any way on what you are saying - end of.

A "re
... See more
What is this nonsense?

If you are a real professional it makes no difference whatsoever who are the parties you are helping to communicate with each other.

Back to basics: you are supposed to convey exactly what was said, not to distort it according to your own (or the other party's) preferences.

So the fact that you know personally or not one or both (or more) of them shouldn't impact in any way on what you are saying - end of.

A "real" conflict of interest would be if the interpreter started passing "insider information" to third parties for own gain or by carelessness, but there is another name for that - "breach of confidentiality".

OTOH I could understand that someone discussing very private / confidential matters would be rather wary if the "interpreter" happened to be some amateur known to be a chatterbox that was gang-pressed into the job as no one else was available, and lives at the end of the street. Or some similar situation - like a journalist dabbling in interpreting.

All these scenarios you categorise as "conflict of interests" are, as far as I can see, in fact about doubting the professional integrity of the interpreter - and that has precious little to do with knowing or not the parties involved.

Not to mention that this silly interpretation of "Interpreter's Code of Ethics" could lead to some rather farcical situations - when I was working as tourist guide few times I had to act as interpreter for people in my group, when some of them had to deal urgently with very personal matters in some middle-of-nowhere little town. So instead of helping them I should've told them to look in the Yellow pages for a "neutral" interpreter? In some Sticksville where "Yellow pages" is an alien concept, and the nearest more or competent interpreter would be tens/hundreds of km away ...

[Edited at 2021-05-14 13:56 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Carmen Lee
Carmen Lee
Australia
Chinese to English
+ ...
Ethical and Conflict of Interest Aug 19, 2023

Recognizing a client from a previous encounter, even if you're not close friends or relatives, can still present a potential conflict of interest in the context of professional interpreting. While the decision to accept the job or not depends on various factors and personal judgment, it's essential to consider ethical principles and professional standards in such situations. You should review the professional code of ethics for interpreters, which often emphasize impartiality, confidentiality, a... See more
Recognizing a client from a previous encounter, even if you're not close friends or relatives, can still present a potential conflict of interest in the context of professional interpreting. While the decision to accept the job or not depends on various factors and personal judgment, it's essential to consider ethical principles and professional standards in such situations. You should review the professional code of ethics for interpreters, which often emphasize impartiality, confidentiality, and avoiding conflicts of interest. Even if you believe you can remain impartial, the client might question your neutrality due to the prior connection. It might be best to decline the assignment. Prioritizing the integrity of the interpreting process is crucial.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting code of ethics

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »