Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What constitutes misuse of the Kudos feature?
Thread poster: matt robinson
matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Dec 28, 2020

I would like to ask my fellow translation professionals what they consider constitutes misuse regarding the Kudos feature. I ask this question because in my language pair there is, in my opinion, persistent misuse of the site by one asker in particular.
This asker states in their profile that they are not a professional translator and also claims to have very poor knowledge of both the source and target languages. This supposed lack of knowledge is not evident from the multiple bilingual
... See more
I would like to ask my fellow translation professionals what they consider constitutes misuse regarding the Kudos feature. I ask this question because in my language pair there is, in my opinion, persistent misuse of the site by one asker in particular.
This asker states in their profile that they are not a professional translator and also claims to have very poor knowledge of both the source and target languages. This supposed lack of knowledge is not evident from the multiple bilingual texts posted on a daily basis. The questions asked are simple; much simpler than some of the text already "translated". The format of the questions is also very strange, although that in itself is not an issue.
Due to the fact that the text/context from which the questions are taken is of a religious nature, I suspect that this site, and specifically the Kudos feature, is being used to spread a particular religious viewpoint.
I am not objecting to the content here, but simply raising my concerns regarding the asker's motives. I would welcome any feedback regarding this question, if only to clarify in my own mind whether or not my concern is justified.
I might add that I have reported this asker to all the moderators in my language pair, but to date I have not received a reply.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
philgoddard
neilmac
Yvonne Gallagher
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
??? Dec 28, 2020

It’s very hard to know what you are talking about without seeing it. Perhaps you should ask in a Spanish forum?

I’m sure that if there is anything religious going on it will soon be dealt with.

P.L.F. Persio

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Matt Dec 28, 2020

matt robinson wrote:
Due to the fact that the text/context from which the questions are taken is of a religious nature, I suspect that this site, and specifically the Kudos feature, is being used to spread a particular religious viewpoint. I am not objecting to the content here, but simply raising my concerns regarding the asker's motives.

If the asker's motive is to spread a religious viewpoint, then it is likely that from his perspective his motive is pure. (-:

Can anything be done about it? Not separately from the system, no. The system's self-policing features should take care of this. It is assumed that if a certain asker keeps asking questions that answerers find offensive or a hazard to their mental health, the answerers will eventually unsubscribe from receiving that asker's questions.

Unfortunately, this does mean that answerers are required to have sufficient intelligence to be able to tell whether an asker's questions are dangerous for them to read. But that's not something we can do anything about here: the business that runs ProZ.com is located in a area where freedom of speech is considered more important than safety from the ill effects of another person's speech.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Chris S Dec 28, 2020

It's a bit delicate. I don't want to draw attention to the asker specifically, as I think that would be a breach of site rules. I am more interested in having a general debate about what would constitute misuse.
Obviously, members operating in my language pair will be able to go to the Kudos section and see the multiple questions posted, in addition to the comments made by other professional translators.
I first contacted the moderators regarding this issue about three weeks ago. It
... See more
It's a bit delicate. I don't want to draw attention to the asker specifically, as I think that would be a breach of site rules. I am more interested in having a general debate about what would constitute misuse.
Obviously, members operating in my language pair will be able to go to the Kudos section and see the multiple questions posted, in addition to the comments made by other professional translators.
I first contacted the moderators regarding this issue about three weeks ago. It is the first time I have contacted the moderators, so I really don't know how long they take to respond, or indeed if they always do respond. I understand that they work on a voluntary basis, and anything I say about them should not be taken as a criticism.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Juan Jacob
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
philgoddard

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 28, 2020

Yeah, my objection is not the content in itself, but my feeling that the site is being used to post and spread the content, rather than to ask a legitimate translation question about that content.
I understand that texts which are offensive, racist, homophobic or otherwise totally bonkers sometimes need to be translated, for a variety of reasons, but in the case of this asker I suspect motives other than those for which the Kudos feature was designed.

Christian [email protected]
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
philgoddard
neilmac
Yvonne Gallagher

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:28
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Report to site staff Dec 28, 2020

Moderators can only look at the content of a question and determine whether it breaks the rules of KudoZ. In this case, it sounds as though each question is probably within the rules. Someone needs to look at everything this person is doing on the site and to determine if they're misusing the site. For that, you need site staff. They are employees of ProZ.com and should answer in a timely manner. I suggest you send them a Support Ticket. There are links in many pages or go to the Support Centre.... See more
Moderators can only look at the content of a question and determine whether it breaks the rules of KudoZ. In this case, it sounds as though each question is probably within the rules. Someone needs to look at everything this person is doing on the site and to determine if they're misusing the site. For that, you need site staff. They are employees of ProZ.com and should answer in a timely manner. I suggest you send them a Support Ticket. There are links in many pages or go to the Support Centre. The request to submit a ticket is itself hiding in plain view -- in the middle of a photo.Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christine Andersen

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Sheila WIlson Dec 28, 2020

Thanks Sheila. I have now submitted a support ticket.

Jennifer White
Jennifer White  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Matt Dec 28, 2020

I alerted the moderators to this a while ago and I believe others have also complained but nothing was done. This asker seems to post on an almost daily basis and I agree that the content is questionable. Hopefully something will now be done.

writeaway
Christian [email protected]
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
philgoddard
neilmac
Yvonne Gallagher

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sometimes hard to prove. Dec 28, 2020

If the issue is delicate or subject to interpretation, it may be difficult to prove. If it's not very obvious with very clear palpable evidence, maybe the staff will drop it.

Based on what you said: In my opinion, to spread certain belief, they will have to use complex sentences and paragraphs. Are they posting full sentences as questions? I am not sure how they can do it using 1 word terms, then gluing them together to spread a belief. I mean that topic in itself usually involves
... See more
If the issue is delicate or subject to interpretation, it may be difficult to prove. If it's not very obvious with very clear palpable evidence, maybe the staff will drop it.

Based on what you said: In my opinion, to spread certain belief, they will have to use complex sentences and paragraphs. Are they posting full sentences as questions? I am not sure how they can do it using 1 word terms, then gluing them together to spread a belief. I mean that topic in itself usually involves complex language, so I am not sure how they can do it with the help of KudoZ only.

Posting full sentences and paragraphs as questions is not in line with KudoZ rules (I think).
Collapse

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Lingua 5B Dec 28, 2020

The terms are single words, but the question is always put as a sentence. This is always accompanied by two paragraphs (4 to 5 lines each) provided as "context"; one in the Source language and one in the Target. This is also always followed by 4 or 5 possible translations of the sentence in which the term appears.
The language used in the two texts provided, which are way longer than would be required to provide adequate context, is invariably of a higher level that the term asked about i
... See more
The terms are single words, but the question is always put as a sentence. This is always accompanied by two paragraphs (4 to 5 lines each) provided as "context"; one in the Source language and one in the Target. This is also always followed by 4 or 5 possible translations of the sentence in which the term appears.
The language used in the two texts provided, which are way longer than would be required to provide adequate context, is invariably of a higher level that the term asked about in the question. Take my previous sentence, for example. A typical question would be to ask about the meaning of "provide" after apparently having been able to translate the rest of the paragraph. The questions are almost always ones that could be resolved using a dictionary.
I understand that any misuse is hard to prove, but I feel that the behaviour exhibited must be in breach of site rules, without even taking the content into consideration.

Here is an example:

Spanish term or phrase: ellos se supone que sirvan al Señor Dios
Hi. I don't understand how to translate se supone here. My English & Spanish are really bad. Thanks in advance for your help. I suppose that se supone here means something like they have to do this, God wants them to do this. They're not supposed to be like non Christians, behave as if they weren't his children. I never knew how to say se supone que in English. I always wondered.

el líder actual de los estados unidos < barack respetará a Dios . así que congresistas, representantes, hagan la enmienda lo antes posible . no saben a lo que se van a enfrentar . el Padre le hizo un cerco de protección a elíseo . cuando los sirios querían atacar al Pueblo del Señor, cuando el Señor le abrió los ojos a su siervo , vio un ejercito de angeles, de carruajes del Cielo, a la redonda del profeta . estarán también a la redonda de los hijos de Dios . ** porque ellos se supone que sirvan al Señor Dios y que sean sirvientes del Señor Dios . ** el presidente barack hizo errar a la nación . los hijos de Dios tienen que comenzar el rescate tan pronto comience el juicio . tendrán que hablarles a todos los que no lo sepan .

the present leader of the united states < barack ,will respect God . so congressmen, representatives, make the amendment as soon as possible . they don't know what they will face . the Father made a hedge of protection for elisha . when the syrians wanted to attack the People of the Lord , when the Lord opened the eyes of his servant , he saw an army of angels, chariots of Heaven, around the prophet . they will be also around the children of God . ** because they are supposed to serve the Lord God and to be servants of the Lord God . ** president barack made the nation err. the children of God have to start the rescue as soon as the judgement begins . they will have to speak to all those who do not know .

porque ellos se supone que sirvan al Señor Dios

because they are supposed to serve the Lord God

because they are supposed that serve the Lord God

because one supposes that they serve the Lord God

because they are meant to serve the Lord

Opinions would be welcome.

[Edited at 2020-12-28 13:23 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
neilmac

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sneaky suspicion... Dec 28, 2020

Could this be ProZ.com staff running a surreptitious SEO experiment?

[Edited at 2020-12-28 16:34 GMT]

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
@Matt Dec 28, 2020

The poster concerned does not only post in the SPAN-ENG pair. I have seen posts in FR-ENG and ENG-FR.
My first impression was that someone was running a whole text through the site to get a job in slices done by others. I then noticed that the content was always religious but didn't not think that the motives were to broadcast a particular message, although I only skip-read the texts and steered a wide berth.
I must confess I was surprised that nobody blew the whistle on what seemed
... See more
The poster concerned does not only post in the SPAN-ENG pair. I have seen posts in FR-ENG and ENG-FR.
My first impression was that someone was running a whole text through the site to get a job in slices done by others. I then noticed that the content was always religious but didn't not think that the motives were to broadcast a particular message, although I only skip-read the texts and steered a wide berth.
I must confess I was surprised that nobody blew the whistle on what seemed like abuse of the site's functions. Traffic has been slow for a while. Perhaps people are prepared to be extra tolerant under the circumstances but it is truly odd.
Collapse

writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Weird! Dec 28, 2020

If I wanted to convert the world, I’m not sure ProZ is where I’d start...

Have you asked the asker about this?

Nadia Silva Castro
Felipe Lacerda
Yolanda Broad
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
philgoddard

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
God works Dec 28, 2020

in mysterious ways…

writeaway
Christopher Schröder
Elena Feriani
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Gerard de Noord
philgoddard

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just an example Dec 28, 2020

Yeah, that was just a taste, and by no means the most extreme example. I know for a fact that some people have found some of the content highly offensive. We have had three or four questions posted in exactly the same format almost every day for months.

philgoddard
neilmac
Yvonne Gallagher

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What constitutes misuse of the Kudos feature?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »