Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mar 20, 2021

Begun by John Pilger, this Twitter thread has developed into a seemingly endless lexicon of the trigger words and phrases that are destroying the English language and making it into a propaganda tool.

https://twitter.com/johnpilger/status/1373120625401753600

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:53
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Interesting Mar 20, 2021

There's also the contribution from a Phil White: Starting a sentence with "So..." but – so far – no "Have a nice day!"

Some of my personal peeves, off the top of my head: "blue-sky thinking", "I'll give you 110%", "bags of character", "ticks all the boxes", "smart bombs", "check your privilege", "undeserving poor".

And: "taking our country back", "sovereignty", "Blitz spirit", "just a small flu"
... See more
There's also the contribution from a Phil White: Starting a sentence with "So..." but – so far – no "Have a nice day!"

Some of my personal peeves, off the top of my head: "blue-sky thinking", "I'll give you 110%", "bags of character", "ticks all the boxes", "smart bombs", "check your privilege", "undeserving poor".

And: "taking our country back", "sovereignty", "Blitz spirit", "just a small flu".

[Edited at 2021-03-20 09:10 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Destroy? Mar 20, 2021

I see your point, Tom, but I get a little tired of the same old phrases time and time again - the usual old phrases, I mean - and so a little evolution and enhancement and innovation might not be such a bad thing. At least the likes of "why don't we run this up the flagpole?" has a lot of snigger potential.

P.L.F. Persio
Alex Ossa
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This just in: Mar 20, 2021

(oh, sorry - force of habit)

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not my point Mar 20, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I see your point, Tom, but I get a little tired of the same old phrases time and time again - the usual old phrases, I mean - and so a little evolution and enhancement and innovation might not be such a bad thing. At least the likes of "why don't we run this up the flagpole?" has a lot of snigger potential.

It isn't my point. It's John Pilger's point. Quote: "Words of power that obfuscate or deceive". So it isn't about the same old phrases time and time again. It's about language as a tool for manipulation, which is something very different from sniggering.

[Edited at 2021-03-20 10:20 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Obfuscation Mar 20, 2021

As I said, what I mean by "same old phrases" are the same old old phrases, not the same old new phrases.

And I know it's his point, not actually your point, but surely the point of posting his point is because you want to make a point of pointedly pointing out that his point is your point too, because otherwise what's the point of pointing out his point in the first place? I hope I've made my point.

[Edited at 2021-03-20 10:28 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Alex Ossa
Zibow Retailleau
Kay Denney
Daryo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nothing new under (or in) the Sun Mar 20, 2021

I’m not a Twit, so I can’t read the thread, but I hope there’s no suggestion that this is anything new.

Different words, same manipulation, same oppression.

Vive la revolution. Person the barricades!

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
bris97
Philip Lees
Zibow Retailleau
Kay Denney

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No Mar 20, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

As I said, what I mean by "same old phrases" are the same old old phrases, not the same old new phrases.

And I know it's his point, not actually your point, but surely the point of posting his point is because you want to make a point of pointedly pointing out that his point is your point too, because otherwise what's the point of pointing out his point in the first place? I hope I've made my point.

Indeed you have. As is evident from all your posts, you're a child in a sandpit who never grew up nor ever had a serious thought.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Language as a tool for manipulation. Mar 20, 2021

Tom in London wrote: It's about language as a tool for manipulation, which is something very different from sniggering.

So, what exactly is new about that? It's as old as humankind. Even cavemen used coded signs to mislead their enemies.

Alex Ossa
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Zibow Retailleau
Gerard Barry

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Tom & Mervyn: Mar 20, 2021

I suggest you learn the methods worked out by Schopenhauer in the below link that will enable both of you to give each other right without giving in a single argument in your hunt of disputes you entertain your audience here in the threads. But when you finally master it, I'm afraid that you would be bored by us, your audience, and leave to some (more) academic forum and we will be left alone with all the same discussions about SDL Multiterm not working anymore or the newest scam attempts from G... See more
I suggest you learn the methods worked out by Schopenhauer in the below link that will enable both of you to give each other right without giving in a single argument in your hunt of disputes you entertain your audience here in the threads. But when you finally master it, I'm afraid that you would be bored by us, your audience, and leave to some (more) academic forum and we will be left alone with all the same discussions about SDL Multiterm not working anymore or the newest scam attempts from Gaza. Therefore, please better don't read that link and stay with Twitter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Being_Right
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I know I'm going to regret this – Part II Mar 20, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Indeed you have. As is evident from all your posts, you're a child in a sandpit who never grew up nor ever had a serious thought.

Tom, you're being too harsh to Mervyn. Yes, sometimes he can be childish. Yes, more often than not, he squeezes every little drop of sense out of every funny word/situation, if you know what I mean, because, frankly, I've lost myself here and I don't know what I meant either anymore. Yes, he can be annoying – I should know by now–, he farebbe scappare la pazienza a un santo.

But he's got a good heart, and he admires you, though he would never admit it. This "feud" between the two of you just breaks my heart. Please, stop it, for the love of what is most precious on this Earth, or – at the very least – of the English language, that unites all of us on here.

Matthias Brombach
Tina Vonhof (X)
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
Kay Denney

Orkoyen (X)
Orkoyen (X)
United States
Local time: 12:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let me be clear Mar 20, 2021

This is code used by politicians, journalists, media interviewees, etc. to infer that all contrary views are not worthy of debate and therefore not worth responding to.

Christopher Schröder
MollyRose
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmm Mar 20, 2021

"Lessons will be learned" - yeah, right, as if. Mealy-mouthedness.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:53
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
All words can be misused Mar 20, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Begun by John Pilger, this Twitter thread has developed into a seemingly endless lexicon of the trigger words and phrases that are destroying the English language and making it into a propaganda tool.

https://twitter.com/johnpilger/status/1373120625401753600

There is no lexicon that is destroying the English language. It is a language like any other, subject to be used and misused as it and every other language has been since languages were created. All languages are used as propaganda tool by those who want to use it so, and this does not destroy the English language any more than it does any other language. Euphemisms and propaganda, eternal lovers. Nothing new, nothing shocking, and little to no value in the linked tweet.

Christopher Schröder
MollyRose
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Orkoyen (X)
Orkoyen (X)
United States
Local time: 12:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
You deserve Mar 20, 2021

So many ads have this phrase. It doesn't help calm a culture where people are bombarded 24/7 with the idea that what they want is what they should have, or else. Of course, that appeal has always been the essence of marketing, but a declaration of "deserving" was unspoken, held just below the surface. That was the trick of sight, smell, and sounds: make something enticing. But, now there is no subtlety. It is what it i--what I'm told I deserve.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words of power that obfuscate or deceive

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »