Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2009

I'm just about to make the leap from Windows to Mac.

I've done my research and worked out that all my hardware, and most of my software, will work fine on a Mac. Exceptions being:

MS Office - but my current version is old (2000) and I'd soon need to upgrade anyway so spending a bit of money on the Mac version shouldn't be a problem.

MS Project and Visio - I got these programs for free through my studies and don't generally use them professionally. So I fig
... See more
I'm just about to make the leap from Windows to Mac.

I've done my research and worked out that all my hardware, and most of my software, will work fine on a Mac. Exceptions being:

MS Office - but my current version is old (2000) and I'd soon need to upgrade anyway so spending a bit of money on the Mac version shouldn't be a problem.

MS Project and Visio - I got these programs for free through my studies and don't generally use them professionally. So I figure I can live without them.

MemoQ - I've only just downloaded a demo and I really like this CAT. Now, is there anyway I could use this program without having to stuff my new beautiful Macbook with Vista and Parallels? It sort of defeats the object if I have to run two OS on my new sleek laptop. This is what Kilgray's FAQ has to say on the subject:

"Does MemoQ run on MacOS X?

Yes, you can safely run MemoQ (all versions) using the Parallels Desktop for Mac on all new Intel-based Macs. Note that you can also run it on a virtual machine (using VMWare, Virtual PC, Xen or any other virtualization solution) under almost any OS, as the activation feature doesn't require any dongle."

Is there anyone who knows if "VMWare, Virtual PC, Xen or any other virtualization solution" work in the same way as Parallels, i.e. you have to install an extra OS? Which I don't want to do.

All answers and ideas greatly appreciated (particularly the ones that encourage me to buy this beautiful piece of design as I'm a gadget junkie).

Madeleine
Collapse

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
Member (2007)
English to German
VM Ware Jul 9, 2009

Hi Madeleine,

Welcome to Mac world

I'm afraid I cannot answer your question regarding MemoQ since I haven't tried it (yet).

However, I work on a Mac with VM Ware Fusion. Unfortunately, VM Ware just works the way Parallel does although I think it is more convenient. VM is simply a virtualization tool so you install VM, then you install your Windows OS. However, it is more convenient than Para
... See more
Hi Madeleine,

Welcome to Mac world

I'm afraid I cannot answer your question regarding MemoQ since I haven't tried it (yet).

However, I work on a Mac with VM Ware Fusion. Unfortunately, VM Ware just works the way Parallel does although I think it is more convenient. VM is simply a virtualization tool so you install VM, then you install your Windows OS. However, it is more convenient than Parallels since VM works like any other program which means it is simply one open window on your Mac and you can easily switch while with Parallels you either work with Windows or with Mac. VM works fine for me although of course it has all the quirks a Windows OS has. It's like having two computers in one which can be really nice at times (if some basics do not work in Windows, switch to Mac and vice versa)

However, if your intention is to get rid of every piece of Windows OS, this is not your solution. As far as I know, Wordfast offers a Mac version so you may want to try this one. There are also a few others so simply do a search in the forum to find them

Hope this is helpful
Kind regards
Anja
Collapse

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank for the welcome Anja Jul 11, 2009

I jumped off the cliff yesterday (i.e. placed my order for a sleek Macbook Pro) ...

Although Wordfast and OmegaT will work on a Mac, I'm still very impressed by MemoQ. If I feel the same at of the end of the evaluation period, I think I'm going to have look at the best way to run a few Windows programs on the Mac. I was trying to avoid this, for example by buying a copy of MS Office for Mac (worth the money as my current version is an old Office 2000).

It has the added
... See more
I jumped off the cliff yesterday (i.e. placed my order for a sleek Macbook Pro) ...

Although Wordfast and OmegaT will work on a Mac, I'm still very impressed by MemoQ. If I feel the same at of the end of the evaluation period, I think I'm going to have look at the best way to run a few Windows programs on the Mac. I was trying to avoid this, for example by buying a copy of MS Office for Mac (worth the money as my current version is an old Office 2000).

It has the added advantage of being able to run MS Project and Visio if I need too.
Collapse

Nils Lahrmann
Nils Lahrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
So what are your experiences? Feb 8, 2010

Hi Madeleine

I am a MemoQ fan and would never ever work with another CAT tool (February 2010).

However, the Macbook Pro 15" or 13" are quite tempting I think.

Could you please give a short summary of your experiences with Windows software on your Mac?

Many thanks!

Nils

yookwagsik (X)
yookwagsik (X)
memoQ on mac user Mar 19, 2010

I use memoQ on my macbook. It's great! Just get VMWare Fusion and Windows and it works perfectly.
Happy Translating!

Bea Szirti
Bea Szirti
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Memoq on Mac (VMWare) Jan 25, 2012

Could you explain me how to start using it. This is the first time I will try Memoq so I want to start with a demo/trial version.

xxxyookwagsik wrote:

I use memoQ on my macbook. It's great! Just get VMWare Fusion and Windows and it works perfectly.
Happy Translating!

Mariana Agria
Mariana Agria
Austria
Portuguese to German
+ ...
sad that there is no memoq for macs Nov 3, 2012

Hi

I actually would buy MemoQ
but since I own a mac I wont

I know you guys have good experiences with parallels... but for me it is a big head ache starting windows.
my mac slows down and suddenly it's kinda not a mac anymore.

so I won't be going for memoq until they decide to program it for macs.

I thought it wouldn't take long since mac users are growing, but I have been waiting since memoQ version 4...
See more
Hi

I know you guys have good experiences with parallels... but for me it is a big head ache starting windows.

I thought it wouldn't take long since mac users are growing, but I have been waiting since memoQ version 4 and there are still no plans of programming it for macs.

very very sad
Collapse

Leonardo MILANI

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Market share Nov 3, 2012

Mariana Santos wrote:

Hi

I thought it wouldn't take long since mac users are growing, but I have been waiting since memoQ version 4 and there are still no plans of programming it for macs.

very very sad

It's not inconceivable to make MQ cross-platform but I'd be very surprised if they did it. First of all, it's technically non-trivial. MQ relies on .NET which is not available on OSX. By contrast, Wordfast Pro is in java, so it can run without much trouble on almost any desktop OS.
Second, mac users might be growing but they are still a small minority. OSX is at about 10% with Windows well over 85% in the last stats I saw. On top of that, the 10% includes a bunch of hip youngsters and designer/artist types who all tend to use mac, so the ratio of mac users among professionals like translators is probaby even lower than 10%. For many vendors, that's not a market worth developing for.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not likely... Nov 4, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:
Second, mac users might be growing but they are still a small minority. OSX is at about 10% with Windows well over 85% in the last stats I saw.

In the U.S. In the global market Mac has about 5-7%. Considering that Kilgray staff has rather limited resources (as the CAT market is so small), I would say that development of MQ for Mac is very unlikely.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
Finnish to French
Optimising your Mac for virtualization Nov 4, 2012

Mariana Santos wrote:

I can't say anything about Parallels, since I'm not using it, but VMware Fusion works just fine on my late 2010 MacBook Air, though it only has 4 GB of RAM and a relatively modest processor (Intel Core2 Duo).

My guess is that the configuration used on your Mac wasn't optimal. If you have a recent Mac and 4 GB of RAM or less, the best to ensure smooth performance would be to increase RAM to 8 GB: allocate 2 or 3 GB to Windows and the rest to OS X and you should experience no slowdown. An SSD would be the 2nd best way to increase perceived performance.

Mariana Santos wrote:

Just accept the fact there won't be a memoQ for Mac, even if one of the Kilgray founders (István Lengyel) is an open mac advocate. As other people have said, it just makes no business sense for Kilgray to develop a native Mac version.

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
MemoQ + Parallels works great Nov 5, 2012

Just realized that the original message is very old, so you can just ignore this reply./J

Hej Madeleine,

I'm using MemoQ on my Macbook Pro through Parallels 6, and I can confirm that it feels snappy and works like a charm. Just make sure to keep MemoQ's resource files on the Windows side, while you can keep all source/target files, reference TMs etc. on the Mac side. As stated above, there is no way to get MemoQ to work on a Mac without using Windows in a virtual machin
... See more
Just realized that the original message is very old, so you can just ignore this reply./J

Hej Madeleine,

I'm using MemoQ on my Macbook Pro through Parallels 6, and I can confirm that it feels snappy and works like a charm. Just make sure to keep MemoQ's resource files on the Windows side, while you can keep all source/target files, reference TMs etc. on the Mac side. As stated above, there is no way to get MemoQ to work on a Mac without using Windows in a virtual machine or through Boot Camp (which doesn't make much sense to me, as you loose all the benefits from using Mac OS).

BR/Johan

[Edited at 2012-11-05 16:13 GMT]
Collapse

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Nov 5, 2012

Johan Kjallman wrote:

Another of these zombie threads

I went with VMware in the end and have been happy with that program for more than 3 years.

cmmlws
cmmlws
India
Local time: 05:58
French to English
+ ...
Will try and come back to you if required Mar 27, 2013

Johan Kjallman wrote:

Hej Madeleine,

I'm using MemoQ on my Macbook Pro through Parallels 6, and I can confirm that it feels snappy and works like a charm. Just make sure to keep MemoQ's resource files on the Windows side, while you can keep all source/target files, reference TMs etc. on the Mac side. As stated above, there is no way to get MemoQ to work on a Mac without using Windows in a virtual machine or through Boot Camp (which doesn't make much sense to me, as you loose all the benefits from using Mac OS).

BR/Johan

[Edited at 2012-11-05 16:13 GMT]

Érica Benevides
Érica Benevides  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Swordfish Jan 26, 2017

How about Swordfish?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Swordfish forum Jan 26, 2017

Érica Benevides wrote:

How about Swordfish?

Hi Érica,

There is dedicated Swordfish forum here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/swordfish_support-971.html

Where you can ask about Swordfish on Mac (which just runs fine, BTW).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ on Mac?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »