Issue with Dictionary Settings in Word
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2018

I am currently editing a Word document (in English) in which the author may have mistakenly added some misspelled words to the dictionary. The red squiggly lines are generally showing for misspelled words, but not for all of them. For example, there is no line under "foccused." Is there any way I can reverse the author's actions? Note that I have already checked the document's language settings, and everything seems to be in order for U.S. English.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 12:32
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Spell check the dictionary! Jul 23, 2018

This seems curious, since I didn't think that the 'custom dictionary' was normally included with the document file? But maybe it is in the more recent versions of Word.

Anyway, assuming these words are not in YOUR 'normal' dictionary, if you can locate the custom dictionary (*.dic file), you should be able to spell-check that against the normal Word dic and that will throw up any possible errors which you can either validate or correct.

However, if these errors have som
... See more
This seems curious, since I didn't think that the 'custom dictionary' was normally included with the document file? But maybe it is in the more recent versions of Word.

Anyway, assuming these words are not in YOUR 'normal' dictionary, if you can locate the custom dictionary (*.dic file), you should be able to spell-check that against the normal Word dic and that will throw up any possible errors which you can either validate or correct.

However, if these errors have somehow got into YOUR dictionary, then it may be more longwinded: you'll need to spell-check the dictionary file using a spell-checker from some other word processing programme, or borrow someone else's dictionary, etc.

I think the first thing you need to do is to find one example of an error (as you have) and then investigate to see which dictionary it is in?
Collapse

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for these suggestions... Jul 23, 2018

Thank you, Tony. As far as I can tell, the misspelled word is not in my own dictionary. But where do you think I can find the custom *.dic file you are speaking of? I haven't had to do something like this before.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
File Locations Jul 23, 2018

If you look under Tools > Options > File Locations, you should be able to look and see where the custom.dic is located on your computer.

But I can't understand how on earth someone else's custom.dic could have made it onto your computer?! Are you SURE that the incorrect spelings are not in either your normal dic or your own custom.dic?

Looking at it the other way round, what is it that makes you think the errors are in the dictionary? Could it not simply be that the pe
... See more
If you look under Tools > Options > File Locations, you should be able to look and see where the custom.dic is located on your computer.

But I can't understand how on earth someone else's custom.dic could have made it onto your computer?! Are you SURE that the incorrect spelings are not in either your normal dic or your own custom.dic?

Looking at it the other way round, what is it that makes you think the errors are in the dictionary? Could it not simply be that the person failed to spell check the document? If you now spell check it, it should highlight all instances of the error, and you can simply "change all"; I really don't quite understand what your perceive the problem to be? If your dictionary is not corrupted, you should easily be able to find and correct these errors — as long, of course, as it is not you who have inadvertently propagated the errors into your own dictionary!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Maybe it's not a dictionary issue. Jul 23, 2018

Maybe it's not a dictionary issue.

There could be an inappropriate format or template setting ("Do not spellcheck this word or paragraph").

And there could be inappropriate view settings ("Show all changes", "Show all markups", and "Show spelling errors during editing" should be set).

Sorry, I don't know how these messages read in an English Word version.

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 24, 2018

Tony M wrote:

Looking at it the other way round, what is it that makes you think the errors are in the dictionary? Could it not simply be that the person failed to spell check the document? If you now spell check it, it should highlight all instances of the error, and you can simply "change all"; I really don't quite understand what your perceive the problem to be? If your dictionary is not corrupted, you should easily be able to find and correct these errors — as long, of course, as it is not you who have inadvertently propagated the errors into your own dictionary!

Thank you, Tony. First, yes, I am sure that this specific error (foccused) is not in my own custom dictionary, as I was able to locate and check it. I am not sure, however, with respect to my "normal" dictionary. I do not rule out the possibility that I am the one who introduced this error into the dictionary. Unfortunately, I do not know how to check the "normal" dictionary (if you have any tips, that would be appreciated). As for the original author's custom dictionary, I have not found any evidence of its existence on my computer.

For whatever reason, the spell-checker does not recognize this particular error (foccused).

If it was just one word, I would not care so much. Since it is a long document with numerous spelling errors, however, I would like to understand what happened so that I am better able to deal with this problem. Currently, I do not know if there are any other misspelled words that the spell-checker is missing.

As Rolf has suggested (thank you, Rolf), there could be some issues with the template settings. I have already identified one issue of this type, and there may be more, so I will do my best to check on that as well.

Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue with Dictionary Settings in Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »