Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Error occurred while trying to determine the file version
Thread poster: Michael Alger
Michael Alger
Michael Alger
Local time: 09:05
German to English
Aug 29, 2014

Studio 2014 is preventing me from loading a Word file - offering the message "Error occurred while trying to determine the file version" instead. This is a Word 1997-2003 file. Having looked at a couple of previous posts that discussed much the same problem, I tried saving it in Word using 'Save As ...' /F12 and saving it in different versions of Word. Same problem. Anybody got any ideas?

Michael Alger
Michael Alger
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Close Studio Aug 31, 2014

I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with answers - one of the problems of posting a query on Friday evening I suppose - so, when the problem spread to all the Word files in a project I'm working on, I just did some more reading myself. RTFM so to speak.
So I'm replying my own post for anyone who might just have the same problem with Studio 2014.
I found a post from August 2012 about Studio 2
... See more
I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with answers - one of the problems of posting a query on Friday evening I suppose - so, when the problem spread to all the Word files in a project I'm working on, I just did some more reading myself. RTFM so to speak.
So I'm replying my own post for anyone who might just have the same problem with Studio 2014.
I found a post from August 2012 about Studio 2009 - http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/231596-studio_2009_error_occurred_whilst_trying_to_determine_the_file_type.html - and the same thing works for the 2014: close down the program and start it up again. Easy. Problem gone.
I usually do the same thing with my mobile.
Ah the joys of modern technology.

[Edited at 2014-08-31 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Carline Dumoulin
Carline Dumoulin
United States
Local time: 05:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Jan 1, 2015

Thank you Michael for your post! I had the same problem and closed SDL Trados 2014, and it worked.

Gwenydd Jones
Gwenydd Jones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:05
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here! Mar 30, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to come back to the question.

bmclaughlin3 (X)
bmclaughlin3 (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2014 - Error occurred while trying to determine the file version Apr 16, 2015

Same thing happened to me after a year and a half without any issues with SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2014. Thank you so much!

Anastassiya Feber
Anastassiya Feber
Kazakhstan
Local time: 15:05
English to Russian
My turn was today. May 12, 2015

My turn was today.

Anastassiya Feber
Anastassiya Feber
Kazakhstan
Local time: 15:05
English to Russian
Thank you! May 12, 2015

Michael Alger wrote:

Michael, thank you for your post! I followed your advice and it worked.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:05
French to English
+ ...
Thanks, Michael! Jun 4, 2015

Your effort is much appreciated!

cyluakree
cyluakree
United States
Spanish to English
Thanks Jun 26, 2015

Thank you very much, it was great to be able to find this answer so fast!!

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Trados update? Sep 17, 2015

I wonder if this has something to do with Trados updates. That was the last thing I did yesterday, an update. Today, and for the first time since I use Trados (2006), I got this message. I followed your advice, and it worked. I use Studio 2014. Thanks for replying to your own post.

Poul Moller
Poul Moller  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2015 - Error occurred while trying to determine the file version Feb 3, 2016

Me too....I'm glad restarting solved the problem (after I tried creating a new project).
It's generally a good idea to type the error message in Google, and I am happy to have a lot of skilfull colleagues out 'here' that can help, when SLD hasn't fixed their issues.

Thanks Michael and others
Poul

Mihai Manastireanu
Mihai Manastireanu  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
Same error in Studio 2015... Mar 3, 2016

... and same workaround.

Error came out of the blue after a previous successful file opening.

Wonders of new technology indeed...

Thanks a bunch Michael for your time!

"Thank you" SDL for being so consistent in perpetuating errors from one software version to another!

Kathryn O'Donoghue
Kathryn O'Donoghue  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Thanks from me too Apr 14, 2016

I'm so relieved to find an easy answer - have no time for technical problems today!

Kersti Skovgaard
Kersti Skovgaard  Identity Verified
Estonia
Member (2005)
English to Estonian
+ ...
Thank you, Michael! May 4, 2016

I had it today, Studio 2015. SDL could add this simple solution to the error message. Would save a lot of time.

Onur Ereren
Onur Ereren  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
Similar problem, no solution Jun 11, 2016

Hello, I just faced the same message. But it's not for a word file, it's for a project that was already open in Trados before. And it didn't go away even after a reset. Here are the details.

I was working with my laptop on my lap while waiting for my wife's doctor examination. Her name was read and we got up, I hastily closed Trados and turned off my laptop. Four hours later I came home, to see that the laptop was actually on inside the backpack the whole time, and very hot. I did a
... See more
Hello, I just faced the same message. But it's not for a word file, it's for a project that was already open in Trados before. And it didn't go away even after a reset. Here are the details.

I was working with my laptop on my lap while waiting for my wife's doctor examination. Her name was read and we got up, I hastily closed Trados and turned off my laptop. Four hours later I came home, to see that the laptop was actually on inside the backpack the whole time, and very hot. I did a reset, opened Trados and my project was not there. Actually, a previous project that I've already deleted is being shown. I try to open the project now, and it says "Error occured while trying to determine the file version"

I would appreciate any advice, since I'm on a tight deadline. Cheers!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error occurred while trying to determine the file version

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »