Thread poster: Julie Barber
Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:12
French to English
Mar 3, 2021

Hi all

I only purchased Trados 2021 a month ago and now it has malfunctioned already with the message "Unexpected exception when initializing view port fragment matches".

I looked on line and tried a few things and this has not resolved it. Is anybody familiar with this issue?

I took on a big project on the basis of having Trados to "help". I can no longer access the files including the finished ones.
Luckily, I saved down my finished ones elsewhere.
... See more
Hi all

I only purchased Trados 2021 a month ago and now it has malfunctioned already with the message "Unexpected exception when initializing view port fragment matches".

I looked on line and tried a few things and this has not resolved it. Is anybody familiar with this issue?

I took on a big project on the basis of having Trados to "help". I can no longer access the files including the finished ones.
Luckily, I saved down my finished ones elsewhere.

Rather mortified. I see that I can buy a support package that is approx £120 for a 1 day response for critical requests (one day is cr*p) or £150 ish for 3 hours. I couldn't reach them on the phone yesterday and they haven't responded to a note that I sent them yet.

thanks for your help

Best,

Julie
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Possible resolutions Mar 3, 2021

Julie Barber wrote:

You don't say in what context this occurs, or exactly what you tried. I guess you will have noticed this, and possibly this? Another user found resolution in this thread. Sometimes antivirus software is implicated, sometimes it's a corrupt installation.

I find the SDL forum a bit better than ProZ.com when support is needed urgently.

Dan

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
context Mar 3, 2021

Thanks Dan. It occurs when trying to open project files.

The software opens but then it won't progress further to open files or TM's. Yes I did try those links thanks,

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
solution Mar 23, 2021

I tried all sort and even reinstalled Trados but this did not work. I had to resort to buying a £180 support licence for the year.
They promptly provided the answer, which goes to show that it is an ongoing bug that they have not resolved (I am in two minds about this company so far).

This is the solution:

Thank you for contacting SDL Support.
Please try the following to attempt to resolve the issue:

1. Make sure Studio(including the error me
... See more
I tried all sort and even reinstalled Trados but this did not work. I had to resort to buying a £180 support licence for the year.
They promptly provided the answer, which goes to show that it is an ongoing bug that they have not resolved (I am in two minds about this company so far).

This is the solution:

1. Make sure Studio(including the error message) is closed
2. Go to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio ( just paste the link in Windows File Explorer and hit enter)
3. Rename the Studio16 folder ( to Studio16_old for example)
4. Start Studio and check if the issue still occurs

+++++++++++++++

Note: following their link didn't not work for me. But the support member logged onto my computer and simply went to the SDL Trados folder and changed the name of the file. Bizarrely, this restored the programme to working order. Terrible that this information is not readily available to users.

Otherwise, my project files that I was working on were inaccessible!! Luckily I had saved + viewed them in Word. Going forward, I will always save my files in Word outside of the App as a back up.
Collapse

Laora Briquet
mustachebi (X)
Sławomira Kaczmarek
Traducción Francés

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
New business model? Mar 23, 2021

You sell a crappy product which can only be 'uncrapped' with an extra (expensive) support licence.

What ever happened with good old 'Service'?

[Edited at 2021-03-23 11:43 GMT]

Julie Barber
Kiyo Shima

Martina Simon
Martina Simon  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to German
+ ...
Studio 2019 May 25, 2021

Thank you Julie it worked also for my Studio 2019! I just had to put 15.000 folder to old. Had no 16folder. What a relief. Settings are gone but this is not important.

Vinicius Marques
Vinicius Marques  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:12
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Studio 21 Jul 8, 2021

Thank you so much! It worked for me and I could also restore my files.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Same problem in Studio 2022 Jan 19, 2023

I have the same problem as the OP, but in Studio 2022, in the same context (cannot open or start any files in Studio). I tried the solution described below, but it didn't work. Unless I didn't do it correctly.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Julie Barber wrote:

This is the solution:

1. Make sure Studio(including the error message) is closed
2. Go to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio ( just paste the link in Windows File Explorer and hit enter)
3. Rename the Studio16 folder ( to Studio16_old for example)
4. Start Studio and check if the issue still occurs

+++++++++++++++

Note: following their link didn't not work for me. But the support member logged onto my computer and simply went to the SDL Trados folder and changed the name of the file. Bizarrely, this restored the programme to working order. Terrible that this information is not readily available to users.

Otherwise, my project files that I was working on were inaccessible!! Luckily I had saved + viewed them in Word. Going forward, I will always save my files in Word outside of the App as a back up.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:12
English to Russian
Trados 2022 folder Jan 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

I have the same problem as the OP, but in Studio 2022, in the same context (cannot open or start any files in Studio). I tried the solution described below, but it didn't work.
Trados 2022 has a different path. If you used 2021 and then upgraded to 2022, you may have both Studio16 and Studio17 folders. What is the path you try to tweak?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
My path and upgrade Jan 19, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I have the same problem as the OP, but in Studio 2022, in the same context (cannot open or start any files in Studio). I tried the solution described below, but it didn't work.
Trados 2022 has a different path. If you used 2021 and then upgraded to 2022, you may have both Studio16 and Studio17 folders. What is the path you try to tweak?

Thanks Stepan.

My upgrade was from 2017 to 2022 (through an upgrade add-on and then its activation).

True, I have both 2017 and 2022 in my PC user account.

I followed this one: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio , and true I didn't see either Studio16 or Studio17, I just saw 14 and other one 14.0.0. something folders, I tried renaming them but nothing changed.

What do I do next?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:12
English to Russian
Try this folder Jan 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
I followed this one: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio , and true I didn't see either Studio16 or Studio17
I can't use Trados 2022 at the moment but when I used it in trial mode it was something like that:
C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio

What do I do next?
With Trados 2022 closed, rename Studio17 to Studio17_old

[Edited at 2023-01-19 19:36 GMT]

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Bingo! Jan 19, 2023

That worked! Thank you so much.

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
I followed this one: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio , and true I didn't see either Studio16 or Studio17
I can't use Trados 2022 at the moment but when I used it in trial mode it was something like that:
C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio

What do I do next?
With Trados 2022 closed, rename Studio17 to Studio17_old

[Edited at 2023-01-19 19:36 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Lucía Giulietti
Lucía Giulietti
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
THANK YOU! Feb 28, 2023

I thought I'd lost all my work. I tried what Julie said and it worked!

Thank you SO much!

Márcia de Medeiros Souza
Márcia de Medeiros Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I tried and it worked! :) Aug 20, 2023

You should go to Control Panel and type:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\15.0.0.0
You should change this file to 15.0.0.0_old
It amanzingly work. I have poor computer skills and I did it.

Traducción Francés
Traducción Francés
Spain
Catalan to French
+ ...
Thank you very much ! Oct 23, 2023

Thank you very much for share this solution !!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unexpected exception when initializing view port fragment matches

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »