Certification: Proof of translation experience
Thread poster: english_german
english_german
english_german
Canada
Local time: 09:31
Nov 23, 2016

Hi,

In order to be eligible for the certification, I need to have translated 120,000 words.
I'm currently volunteering in the local immigrant services as a translator for German language.
Is there anything else I can do to gain more translation experience?
If I translate something on private basis (e.g. translate my master thesis from German to English), would that be accepted?

Thank you,

english_german

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Some suggestions Nov 24, 2016

If you want to know more about the requirements, I would suggest first becoming an associate member of your your provincial translators organization, take part in their activities, and let them guide you further. If you don't already have lots of experience, count on it taking at least a year or two before you are can become certified. It isn't just about collecting a certain number of words, the emphasis should be on getting real experience with different kinds of texts, in a variety of fields,... See more
If you want to know more about the requirements, I would suggest first becoming an associate member of your your provincial translators organization, take part in their activities, and let them guide you further. If you don't already have lots of experience, count on it taking at least a year or two before you are can become certified. It isn't just about collecting a certain number of words, the emphasis should be on getting real experience with different kinds of texts, in a variety of fields, long and short, easy and difficult, all the kinds of documents you will get as a certified translator.

I think you need to get some paying clients who will send you different types of texts. To get started, take the steps that are always recommended to new members on proz.com: fill out your profile, make it attractive, provide as many details as you can, your credentials, memberships, the fields you are most interested in, any experience you have so far, and finally, think of a more creative user name and list your language combination in the place where it belongs.
Collapse

english_german
english_german
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
work I'm doing as a non-member Nov 24, 2016

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I will be registering for the next associate examinations.

I just wanted to gather some information so that I know what's coming.

Can you please tell me if all the translation work I'm currently doing as a volunteer will be considered or does only the work after becoming an associate member count?

Thanks a lot.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:31
German to English
+ ...
not sure that's true Nov 24, 2016

english_german wrote:

In order to be eligible for the certification, I need to have translated 120,000 words.

When I got certified, it was after passing the exam. There was nothing about a quota of number of words translated.

Paula Rennie (X)
Paula Rennie (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:31
French to English
Depends on the association Nov 25, 2016

Maxi, it may depend on the provincial association. Some require proof of translation of a certain number of words prior to writing the certification exam, at least that is the case in Alberta.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Requirements Nov 25, 2016

The requirements were changed, and I believe made equal for all provinces. These are the eligibility requirements for certification of my provincial organization:

Option A:
A degree in translation from a recognized institution plus one year of translation experience.

Option B:
For candidates without a degree in translation 4 years of experience.
Years of experience correspond to the number of words translated:
Official Languages (EN-FR / FR-EN):
... See more
The requirements were changed, and I believe made equal for all provinces. These are the eligibility requirements for certification of my provincial organization:

Option A:
A degree in translation from a recognized institution plus one year of translation experience.

Option B:
For candidates without a degree in translation 4 years of experience.
Years of experience correspond to the number of words translated:
Official Languages (EN-FR / FR-EN): 1 year of experience = 100,000 words
Other Languages: 1 year of experience = 30,000 words

So indeed, 4 years of experience in your language combination equals 120,000 words. i would expect that there is not a lot of demand for English to German. Your chances of getting work and experience are better if you also do German to English but that requires of course that you have a very good command of English. Your experience with immigration services may count if you can document it but check it out to be sure. All the information you need should be available from your provincial organization.

Just to clarify: after fulfilling option A or option B you still have to write the certification exam, which is Canada-wide and administered by CTTIC.

[Edited at 2016-11-26 17:45 GMT]
Collapse

english_german
english_german
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Requirements Nov 25, 2016

Does that mean that I need 120,000 word count in English to German and another 120,000 in German to English?

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:31
Polish to English
+ ...
Each language combination separately Nov 29, 2016

Yes, you are applying for each language combination separately and need to satisfy the requirements for each separately.
As for the translation experience - I recall something back a few years ago that I was told by my provincial association that it had to be paid work. I remember asking if the translation done for family member would count and they said ok as long as I was paid for that.
You will need to provide proof of the work such as client letters, work contracts, invoices, et
... See more
Yes, you are applying for each language combination separately and need to satisfy the requirements for each separately.
As for the translation experience - I recall something back a few years ago that I was told by my provincial association that it had to be paid work. I remember asking if the translation done for family member would count and they said ok as long as I was paid for that.
You will need to provide proof of the work such as client letters, work contracts, invoices, etc., so I am not sure how they will treat translating own thesis.
You should follow up with your local organization or check the bylaws to see what exactly can be considered as proof of experience and what kind of proofs will be required/accepted.
You may start looking for projects at translation agencies.

english_german wrote:

Does that mean that I need 120,000 word count in English to German and another 120,000 in German to English?
Collapse

english_german
english_german
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 29, 2016

Thank you all for your helpful responses.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification: Proof of translation experience

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »