Magali Liebens
Magali Liebens  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:22
English to French
+ ...
Jan 30, 2020

Hello

I am an EnglishFrench interpreter based in London and we are considering moving to Montreal, Canada. I am not sure if I'll be able to work in Montreal as much as I work in London, most of the people there are already bilingual !

I work in the private sector in London mainly as a conference interpreter or business interpreter.

Do you have any insights/opinion about how the market is in Montreal with this language combinaison ? I'd love to be able to
... See more
Hello

I am an EnglishFrench interpreter based in London and we are considering moving to Montreal, Canada. I am not sure if I'll be able to work in Montreal as much as I work in London, most of the people there are already bilingual !

I work in the private sector in London mainly as a conference interpreter or business interpreter.

Do you have any insights/opinion about how the market is in Montreal with this language combinaison ? I'd love to be able to exchange with colleagues who are working there.

Many thanks for your help.

Mag
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:22
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
My five cents Feb 1, 2020

Hi Magali,

I do not live in Canada, but I am doing research on health communication and I have come across several articles on bilingualism in the Montreal health sector. By the way it sounds, it is very difficult to find truly bilingual health practitioners there - a lot of nurses are French speaking with some basic English skills, so my guess is they do use English-French interpreters there but I cannot say anything about the number of jobs.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:22
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Montreal Feb 3, 2020

In my experience with the health care sector in Montreal, being served in either English or French at any hospital is not an issue. While there would be some members of staff who are unilingual, any hospital team would have members who are able to communicate fluently in both English and French. In the larger hospitals, calls come occasionally over the public address system for an interpreter but always for other languages, not English or French.

There would be a small market for co
... See more
In my experience with the health care sector in Montreal, being served in either English or French at any hospital is not an issue. While there would be some members of staff who are unilingual, any hospital team would have members who are able to communicate fluently in both English and French. In the larger hospitals, calls come occasionally over the public address system for an interpreter but always for other languages, not English or French.

There would be a small market for conference or business interpretation into English or French but I am not too familiar with it.
Collapse

Ninon Dion

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 09:22
English
+ ...
Do you speak joual? Feb 5, 2020

I cannot answer your question about job opportunities, but a visit to Montreal would at the very least be fun!
Are you familiar with joual (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joual), the dialect of the Montreal working class?

Example: Qu'est-ce que tu dis = K'sic t'dee? (phonetically)

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting market in Montreal ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »