Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2014

I'm currently living in Mexico DF for the long-term and working as a Portuguese & Spanish to English translator (in different fields such legal, bus/fin, etc.), and looking to learn French (as a fourth language) in order to work in the French to English pair once I get mastered in that language (as an idea to offer different language pairs).

I do have my other reasons to learn French and plan to travel annually to Quebec and/or France in order to practice and master the language. A
... See more
I'm currently living in Mexico DF for the long-term and working as a Portuguese & Spanish to English translator (in different fields such legal, bus/fin, etc.), and looking to learn French (as a fourth language) in order to work in the French to English pair once I get mastered in that language (as an idea to offer different language pairs).

I do have my other reasons to learn French and plan to travel annually to Quebec and/or France in order to practice and master the language. After learning Spanish for years, I started learning Portuguese and it was quite easy to learn immediately (due to the similarity between those two languages). Although I am told knowing my three languages will facilitate learning French, I know French will be it different story when it comes to pronunciation (quite distinct from other romance languages!).

I am aware that there different schools offering French courses / certificates in Mexico, such as:

- CELE UNAM
- Alianza Francesa
- Idiomas CUC

However, I am pondering which school to pick, especially that there are price differences amongst them. Alianza Francesa seems to be the most expensive and prestigious of all, so I am thinking that this school would make my CV standout (more than CELE or Idiomas CUC) in the respect if I were to study French there. But I am not sure if in the translation market that they would pay attention to which language school you attend. Or do they look more at your foreign living / travel experiences in a country speaking your second/third/etc. language?

I would like to know what are your ideas concerning this point of view. Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2014-03-06 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French courses/schools in Mexico

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »