Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4]
我们的中文论坛应该禁止使用英语吗?(Should English be banned from the Chinese Forum?)
Initiator des Themas: Kevin Yang
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 13:35
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
I can imagine Jan 3, 2007

Zhoudan wrote:

这种问题以前在单位里上班倒是经常遇到。办公室里有个同事特爱打小报告,经常无中生有,弄得人很不愉快。这些年做了freelance,这种事情再也没有了。真是太好了!

wherestip wrote:

Actually, I never had to deal with that kind of problem my whole life. Perhaps that says something about me too.

[Edited at 2007-01-03 01:00]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 06:35
Chinesisch > Englisch
Unwelcome intrusions: offer a 'preferred language option' facility (like Kudoz) Jan 3, 2007

TongliUSA wrote:

I heard that in the French and Italian forums, the similar complaints were filed. In those forums, they believe it was very rude for someone just walks in and starts to talk in a language that is not the designated language such as French or Italian.
Kevin

[修改时间: 2006-12-30 04:11]

1 A 'preferred language option' facility might help with this problem of unwanted intrusions.

It would be a way to help topic posters (if they wanted to) to deal with people who 'butt in' on their conversations in another language without reading what has gone before in detail. I have been guilty of doing this.

2 How should we treat the topic poster? As a thread host? I think this is right, because all the comments are sent to the poster's email inbox.

3 Giving the option might change the dynamic a bit, making the postings a bit more personalised, more like Kudoz. Would that be a good thing, or not.

4 Moving on from that, perhaps we could have a Trad Chinese moderator and/or a Cantonese moderator for the Chinese community. It would make it more diverse.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 02:35
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Your ideas are pretty ok. Jan 3, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

1 A 'preferred language option' facility might help with this problem of unwanted intrusions.

It would be a way to help topic posters (if they wanted to) to deal with people who 'butt in' on their conversations in another language without reading what has gone before in detail. I have been guilty of doing this.

2 How should we treat the topic poster? As a thread host? I think this is right, because all the comments are sent to the poster's email inbox.

3 Giving the option might change the dynamic a bit, making the postings a bit more personalised, more like Kudoz. Would that be a good thing, or not.

4 Moving on from that, perhaps we could have a Trad Chinese moderator and/or a Cantonese moderator for the Chinese community. It would make it more diverse.

Not bad for reducing unpleasant intrusions.

The last point is, however, unnecessary because we do use the same language and Trad Chinese is not far away from Simplified Chinese at all. The trend among young Chinese nowadays is to mingle Trad and Simplified Chinese. Anyway, we understand each other save political issues. In those issues, both sides don't understand even among themselves. So, we don't need any more diversity for there is an excessive diversity.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 14:35
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
There are not many people who can only speak Cantonese nowadays. Jan 3, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

TongliUSA wrote:

I heard that in the French and Italian forums, the similar complaints were filed. In those forums, they believe it was very rude for someone just walks in and starts to talk in a language that is not the designated language such as French or Italian.
Kevin

[修改时间: 2006-12-30 04:11]

Most of them speak both Mandarin and Cantonese.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 06:35
Chinesisch > Englisch
A 'Preferred language' option for forum topics? - this discussion has been posted as a new topic Jan 3, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Give topic posters/thread hosts a 'preferred language' option.
Bring it down to topic/thread level and provide a 'preferred language' option (like Kudoz)

Pei Ling Haußecker wrote:

On the whole, I think that the use of the designated language of a non-English forum should be observed. The fact remains that this is one of the rules of the forum. I do not think it appropriate to adhere selectively to the forum rules. At the same time, the necessary/appropriate use of other languages in a non-English forum was not banned by the current rules at all. Instead, rule #7 encourages the use of the designated language as much as possible.

Kudoz Askers have the facility to nominate "Language preferred for answer explanations". (See the last/bottom box of the Kudoz asking screen.) I think that is really good, even though a lot of us don't use it. It's available for those that want it.

Perhaps topic posters/thread hosts could be given this option too. Why not.

I guess it might have to be a new facility applying to all forums, or perhaps it could be arranged just for the 'non-English' forums. Perhaps the management could comment on what is possible.

I think it might be a really good thing for the non-English forums and communities.

It would give the topic posters a chance to name their preference, and to have some influence over the language of the comments received in their email inbox.

And it would be consistent with Kudoz.

I suggest this be posted as another topic...

[Edited at 2007-01-03 00:15]

http://www.proz.com/topic/62622

A 'Preferred language' option for forum topics? - this discussion has now been posted as a new topic at the above link

[Edited at 2007-01-03 05:44]

[Edited at 2007-01-03 06:13]

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Not to dredge up old issues that have already been answered by ProZ Management Dec 8, 2012

But I thought this issue was made clear by Enrique.

Are English Posts still deemed unwelcome by some in our forum?

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 14:35
Mitglied (2006)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
主張雙語 Dec 8, 2012

管什麼過時不切實際的人為規則。誰覺得有問題,請拿上來這裡說好了。

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Free to use Dec 9, 2012

It is ridiculous to ban members from posting in English in a translation forum.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
It was made very clear 6 years ago Dec 9, 2012

http://www.proz.com/post/478372#478372
Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

I want to make clear that this is not the case. Kevin is a great moderator and of course English can be used in this forum.

I believe the site needs a better definition of the way this rule is to be applied, probably with different criteria for the common forums (where English is the official language) and the non-English ones (where the approach should be more open).

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
English or Chinese Dec 9, 2012

The main reason I write my posts almost always in English, is because I'm not that familiar with most of the contemporary terminology people use in China nowadays. Over time, I did manage to pick up some terms and phrases from the forum here and there, the soundness and validity of which I can't say I really fully appreciate. For me to post in Chinese, the options are either to sound like a newbie to some newfangled lingo, which often strikes me as unnatural and artificial(many terms are borro... See more
The main reason I write my posts almost always in English, is because I'm not that familiar with most of the contemporary terminology people use in China nowadays. Over time, I did manage to pick up some terms and phrases from the forum here and there, the soundness and validity of which I can't say I really fully appreciate. For me to post in Chinese, the options are either to sound like a newbie to some newfangled lingo, which often strikes me as unnatural and artificial(many terms are borrowed or poorly translated from some foreign language anyway), or to sound like an old fuddy-duddy proficient only in the language usage of yesteryear. Naturally, I'd rather post in English where I have a better handle on how my postings come across.

Of course, there are also times when Chinese is a more natural choice for me. For example, I wouldn't go out of my way to put a Chinese idiom I knew in English when the original was readily available - well, not unless it happened to be one of the clichés well adopted by the English-speaking world.

That said, I'm happy as long as folks don't see my posts - if and when in English - as deliberately flouting a rule that the moderators made a point of emphasizing. If the rule indeed needs to be strictly enforced for some unknown reason, I'll certainly go along with it. I'm definitely not trying to contest a site rule, or trying to create unnecessary work or headaches for the moderators.

[Edited at 2012-12-10 03:14 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Non-native Chinese speakers should be encouraged to take part Dec 9, 2012

Steve has been doing very well no matter he writes in English or Chinese since he is native in both English and Chinese. However, some of the non-native Chinese speakers may have encountered difficulties when trying to post their opinions in the Chinese forum. Some of them may be able to read Chinese to some extent, but may not be able to write well in Chinese. They shouldn't be kept away from the Chinese forum. In my opinion, those non-native Chinese speakers should be encouraged to take pa... See more
Steve has been doing very well no matter he writes in English or Chinese since he is native in both English and Chinese. However, some of the non-native Chinese speakers may have encountered difficulties when trying to post their opinions in the Chinese forum. Some of them may be able to read Chinese to some extent, but may not be able to write well in Chinese. They shouldn't be kept away from the Chinese forum. In my opinion, those non-native Chinese speakers should be encouraged to take part in the Chinese forum.

[Edited at 2012-12-10 06:39 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
My apologies for this oversight Dec 10, 2012

Dear all,

My apologies, as this was an oversight on staff's part. My appreciation to James for bringing this to my attention.

Best regards,

Maria

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Thanks Dec 10, 2012

Thanks, Maria, for your attention on this matter. Now we have a better understanding of the spirit of this forum rule.

Thanks to our moderators for getting this issue clarified for us, also. Great job!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Thanks, Maria! Dec 10, 2012

No apologies are necessary. I also totally agree with what Steve (wherestip) said.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

我们的中文论坛应该禁止使用英语吗?(Should English be banned from the Chinese Forum?)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »