Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I need a free translation (eng into french) 1 page.
Thread poster: Emma10800 (X)
Emma10800 (X)
Emma10800 (X)
Local time: 13:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2002

Hi, I\'m setting up a website and I offer translations from english into french. I can\'t afford to pay for any translation at the moment so if anyone is interested in doing it for free please email me and be sure that I will contact you if potential clients require translations into french! since I can\'t do it, so I\'ll need to associate with a french translator. It\'s only one page and it\'s kinda urgent. Please good samaritans! help!

Emma

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:54
English to German
+ ...
quel culot! Jul 25, 2002

Tes prix sont à peu prés 1/3 plus bas que les miens. Je ne traduis pas vers le français mais pourquoi aider quelqu\'un qui détruit le marché pour les traducteurs qui habitent en Europe ou en Amérique du Nord?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-25 02:29 ]

Emma10800 (X)
Emma10800 (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I Dont understand mate Jul 25, 2002

first... i dont speak french, but i think I know what your saying... if you take a closer look and read more carefully, or at least read, you will realize that i dont intend to destroy your market, BUT my proposition was:

if you translate one page for me into french then when i get clients wanting pages into french then you would be the one doing it... get my point? instead of taking jobs away from you i would be giving you jobs since i cant do it myself, got it? anyways... there\'s no
... See more
first... i dont speak french, but i think I know what your saying... if you take a closer look and read more carefully, or at least read, you will realize that i dont intend to destroy your market, BUT my proposition was:

if you translate one page for me into french then when i get clients wanting pages into french then you would be the one doing it... get my point? instead of taking jobs away from you i would be giving you jobs since i cant do it myself, got it? anyways... there\'s no need to get violent..

Emma
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:54
French to English
Professional propositions obtain professional results Jul 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 22:23, Emma10800 wrote:

Hi, I\'m setting up a website and I offer translations from English into French. I can\'t afford to pay for any translation at the moment ....

Dear Emma,

It is of course possible that a skilled translator will be willing to take you up on your offer, as a general rule, professional propositions are more likely to obtain the prof... See more
Quote:

Hi, I\'m setting up a website and I offer translations from English into French. I can\'t afford to pay for any translation at the moment ....

Dear Emma,

It is of course possible that a skilled translator will be willing to take you up on your offer, as a general rule, professional propositions are more likely to obtain the professional result you need.

Sticking my neck out, one thing about your posting is bugging me a little. If you don\'t read French then how can you be sure that the translation you receive in return is of professional quality? A poor quality piece would do your professional image more harm than good, all the more so as it is to be on line. Your professional credibility is on the line here! Clients might excuse the odd mistake here in there on a site selling holiday packages for example, but would be unsympathetic when it comes to the provision of language services. Indeed sound quality control would be necessary too for the work done by any freelancers in whom you would trust work. Your reputation depends on it! Ten good pieces of work may be talked about, one rotten piece certainly will!

Getting back to the point, if you are not yet in a position to pay for one page of professional translation into French, then perhaps you ought to postpone your offer to provide translations into French.

One further solution may be to post the job in the Instant job section of this site. In posting your job, bear in mind how you would react if you were on the other side.

Good luck with your projects,

Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Moderator French>English

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-25 08:13 ]

A quick note to say that I have deliberately not addressed the rates issue here. The poster is in El Salvador and I am unaware of what \"the going rate\" might be over there.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-25 08:43 ]Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Strongly agree with Nikki Jul 25, 2002

Dear Emma,

I strongly agree with Nikki in regards to being able to assess the quality of the French work. I think you may be better off sticking to *what you know best*. I find this is a golden rule in our profession. If you do not know French, then I would suggest that you stay away from offering it and simply stick to the language(s) you personally know, and the quality that you can personally control. You will have better results this way.

And Olaf st
... See more
Dear Emma,

I strongly agree with Nikki in regards to being able to assess the quality of the French work. I think you may be better off sticking to *what you know best*. I find this is a golden rule in our profession. If you do not know French, then I would suggest that you stay away from offering it and simply stick to the language(s) you personally know, and the quality that you can personally control. You will have better results this way.

And Olaf stated that the rates you are showing on your website are about 1/3 lower than his rates, and he is wondering why should anyone support someone (you) who is lowering rates. If your rates are so low, you will not be doing yourself or any translator any favors... and I doubt you will find someone who will support you and your advertisement of low rates.

I hope these thoughts can be of some help to you.

Regards,

Nathalie

Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
Postings on this forum Jul 25, 2002

Dear Emma,

A couple of points.

I understand why you posted your message in English, but don\'t forget that all of the postings on this particular forum should be in French!

Furthermore, and simply put, the correct place for this posting is the \"Jobs marketplace > Post a job\" in the left-hand column.

For free translations, there are plenty of solutions out there
... See more
Dear Emma,

A couple of points.

I understand why you posted your message in English, but don\'t forget that all of the postings on this particular forum should be in French!

Furthermore, and simply put, the correct place for this posting is the \"Jobs marketplace > Post a job\" in the left-hand column.

For free translations, there are plenty of solutions out there on the web - http://www.freetranslation.com for example. If you want to get an idea of the quality, type in a sample piece of text. Then type in the same text it gives you for a back-translation. Chances are you will get something which is amusing at best and totally incomprehensible at worst. Try it with a language you know. Then imagine the knock your image would take if that were to appear on your site - in French, unchecked...

Good luck,

Nikki

Moderator French>English

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-25 08:56 ]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Economic premises Jul 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 05:33, Emma10800 wrote:

if you translate one page for me into french then when i get clients wanting pages into french then you would be the one doing it... get my point? instead ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-25 05:33, Emma10800 wrote:

if you translate one page for me into french then when i get clients wanting pages into french then you would be the one doing it... get my point? instead of taking jobs away from you i would be giving you jobs since i cant do it myself, got it? anyways... there\'s no need to get violent..

Emma

Dear Emma,

I\'m sorry, I\'m the one who does not understand how there could be such a relationship between yourself and Olaf, or anyone else who works for a higher rate than you do, if your agency rates are what you reflect on your profile (which, by the way, tells us very little about you). Perhaps you should work on that first?

I do not wish to discuss rates, either, as this has been \"done to death\" in my subcommunity, but I do believe the majority have made an effort to respect the international character of proZ as a world-wide market.

Thanks, and have a good day.

Cecilia

Moderator Sp>En ▲ Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:54
English to German
+ ...
Sorry, didn't want to cause offence Jul 25, 2002

I replied in French since this is a French forum. But the rates issue is important (even if done to death). I think because of the Internet and sites like this one translators should be able to offer decent rates regardless of where they live. Instead the opposite seems to be happening. It\'s just a matter of professionalism and respect, mutual, for ourselves, and for our work.

Emma10800 (X)
Emma10800 (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok... Jul 25, 2002

i wont say anything else because actually THERE are translators willing to do it for me, in fact, ive already got a few, and highly qualified ones... but just for the record: The reason why my prices are lower than the rest of you is because my main market is over here in my country, my area, and those are the normal rates, in fact, im one of the most expensive translators in the area. So.... now that you know...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
Lending a hand, rates, and quality control Jul 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 13:51, Emma10800 wrote:

i wont say anything else because actually THERE are translators willing to do it for me, in fact, ive already got a few, and highly qualified ones... but just for the record: The reason why my prices are lower than the rest of you is because my main market is over here in my country, my area, and those are the normal rates, in fact, im one of the most expensive translators in the area.... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-25 13:51, Emma10800 wrote:

i wont say anything else because actually THERE are translators willing to do it for me, in fact, ive already got a few, and highly qualified ones... but just for the record: The reason why my prices are lower than the rest of you is because my main market is over here in my country, my area, and those are the normal rates, in fact, im one of the most expensive translators in the area. So.... now that you know...

Which I why I added the following note to my very first message on this thread :

\"A quick note to say that I have deliberately not addressed the rates issue here. The poster is in El Salvador and I am unaware of what \"the going rate\" might be over there.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-25 08:43 ]\"

I also made it clear that it quite was possible you would get offers of help. If you have serious competent offers from among those people then I wish you the best of luck.

Do bear in mind my initial caveat though. Putting potential clients in contact with freelancers is one thing. If the client is paying you and you then pay the freelancer, then you may well be responsible for the work done. Are you prepared to assume responsibility for work which you are not in a position to assess?

Collapse

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Just work together Aug 1, 2002

I\'m French, but I answer here in english in order that \"Emma...\" understand it. I\'m doing that freelance translator job since 22 years, I make high quality english to french and german to french translations and I will do that job for free at any time. I\'m neither rich nor poor, but now and then in the past I\'ve helped people AND other people have helped me. I would say that some people will not have succeed to \"survive\" without my little help and that I will not have succeed to \"surviv... See more
I\'m French, but I answer here in english in order that \"Emma...\" understand it. I\'m doing that freelance translator job since 22 years, I make high quality english to french and german to french translations and I will do that job for free at any time. I\'m neither rich nor poor, but now and then in the past I\'ve helped people AND other people have helped me. I would say that some people will not have succeed to \"survive\" without my little help and that I will not have succeed to \"survive\" without ... a little help from my friends ...

Best regards
Collapse

Emma10800 (X)
Emma10800 (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks TTV Aug 2, 2002

you\'re wonderful =) you\'re right, not everything is about money and making money but giving to other people without expecting anything in return is very fulfulling i think.

Thanks a lot for wanting to help, I already did it with another translator who wrote me to my email so thanks anyways =) and anytime you need anything... im here!

Quote:

On 2002-08-01 18:41, TTV wrote:

I\'m French, but... See more
you\'re wonderful =) you\'re right, not everything is about money and making money but giving to other people without expecting anything in return is very fulfulling i think.

Thanks a lot for wanting to help, I already did it with another translator who wrote me to my email so thanks anyways =) and anytime you need anything... im here!

Quote:

On 2002-08-01 18:41, TTV wrote:

I\'m French, but I answer here in english in order that \"Emma...\" understand it. I\'m doing that freelance translator job since 22 years, I make high quality english to french and german to french translations and I will do that job for free at any time. I\'m neither rich nor poor, but now and then in the past I\'ve helped people AND other people have helped me. I would say that some people will not have succeed to \"survive\" without my little help and that I will not have succeed to \"survive\" without ... a little help from my friends ...

Best regards

Collapse

tyamout (X)
tyamout (X)
French to Arabic
+ ...
ok, i'll do it for u Aug 27, 2002

Quote:

Hi, I\'m setting up a website and I offer translations from english into french. I can\'t afford to pay for any translation at the moment so if anyone is interested in doing it for free please email me and be sure that I will contact you if potential clients require translations into french! since I can\'t do it, so I\'ll need to associate with a french translator. It\'s only one page an... See more
Quote:

Hi, I\'m setting up a website and I offer translations from english into french. I can\'t afford to pay for any translation at the moment so if anyone is interested in doing it for free please email me and be sure that I will contact you if potential clients require translations into french! since I can\'t do it, so I\'ll need to associate with a french translator. It\'s only one page and it\'s kinda urgent. Please good samaritans! help!

Emma

Collapse

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Imagine all the people, Sharing all the "words" :) Aug 27, 2002

\"I\'m neither rich nor poor, but now and then in the past I\'ve helped people AND other people have helped me. I would say that some people will not have succeed to \"survive\" without my little help and that I will not have succeed to \"survive\" without ... a little help from my friends ...\"

Tout à fait d\'accord avec René.

Un peu d\'entraide ne fait de mal à personne

Tant mieux si la personne aidée le mérite

Tant pis si elle
... See more
\"I\'m neither rich nor poor, but now and then in the past I\'ve helped people AND other people have helped me. I would say that some people will not have succeed to \"survive\" without my little help and that I will not have succeed to \"survive\" without ... a little help from my friends ...\"

Tout à fait d\'accord avec René.

Un peu d\'entraide ne fait de mal à personne

Tant mieux si la personne aidée le mérite

Tant pis si elle en profite

Et ne donne rien en retour

Toute cette méfiance m\'étonne

Simple question de conscience

C\'est bien d\'accorder un peu de confiance

Et de lui donner une chance de se lancer

Espérons qu\'elle aidera un autre, un jour

Puisque nous parlons de solidarité

Jean-Luc

Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Comme tu l'as bien dit Jean-Luc Aug 28, 2002

C\'est toi qui as écrit ces beaux mots ?

Je me suis sentie un peu gênée par la tournure prise par ce sujet, d\'autant plus que dans le forum italien on a répondu à la même demande avec beaucoup d\'enthousiasme.

Tu dis :

\"Tant mieux si la personne aidée le mérite

Et ne donne rien en retour \"

Moi je me dis toujours que si l\'on aide quand on peut on sera aidée quand
... See more
C\'est toi qui as écrit ces beaux mots ?

Je me suis sentie un peu gênée par la tournure prise par ce sujet, d\'autant plus que dans le forum italien on a répondu à la même demande avec beaucoup d\'enthousiasme.

Tu dis :

\"Tant mieux si la personne aidée le mérite

Et ne donne rien en retour \"

Moi je me dis toujours que si l\'on aide quand on peut on sera aidée quand on en aura besoin.

Ceci dit on a abordé d\'autres sujets que la solidarité et c\'est peut-être là la raison pour cette déviation.

Les tarifs, la qualité, l\'improvisation...sont des sujets qui méritent à eux seuls des fils de discussion.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a free translation (eng into french) 1 page.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »