Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
Local time: 05:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2008

Hi there,
I'm not very good at this, so I'm asking for a suggestion on how to automatically mark the text as tw4winExternal with MS Word in order to work on a given document with Trados or Wordfast.
Somewhere in this forum I read someone saying that the find/replace function of MS Word could be used for this. Could it be used to automatize the process? Could a macro be created to do the job?
Thanks,
Ale.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You can do it Mar 16, 2008

Alessandro Cattelan wrote:

Hi there,
I'm not very good at this, so I'm asking for a suggestion on how to automatically mark the text as tw4winExternal with MS Word in order to work on a given document with Trados or Wordfast.
Somewhere in this forum I read someone saying that the find/replace function of MS Word could be used for this. Could it be used to automatize the process? Could a macro be created to do the job?
Thanks,
Ale.

Hi Alessandro,
While Trados and Wordfast both have tagger modules (S-tagger for Trados, and in PlusTools, +Tweaks for WF), it is indeed possible to to do it manually - and in certain cases this is the only way. You may write a macro, or use the batch replacement option in WF's PlusTools - but in certain cases you can do everything manually in Word surprisingly fast if you use wildcard options (*), or special characters such as "^#" for numbers, etc.
See Samuel's posting here: http://www.proz.com/post/811234#811234, you will certainly find it useful.
Attila

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have a look at the Tortoise Tagger Mar 28, 2008

.... Could a macro be created to do the job? ...

It's essentially a preprocessor with its own (simple & straightforward) grammar, which frees you from having to learn how Microsoft implemented the handling of regular expressions in Word. So you set up the transformation rules and then propagate it all through a subdirectory for instance. I am considering of going back to it to write a filter for XLIFF-to-TMX-and-back transformation. So far all those free or charged-for filters, including my own (g), did something else from what I intended with the current set of files.

[Edited at 2008-03-28 03:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MS Word to mark untranslatable text for translation with Trados/Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »