Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Please! I'd need your advice for a project that I think I'm not being fairly paid
Thread poster: Andrea Carroggio Diaz-Plaja
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:41
English to Russian
This is exactly why Oct 27, 2021

You have been translating the files over two weeks. That’s why only 119 new (untranslated) words left. That means you are almost done with your job.

Andrea Carroggio Diaz-Plaja
Andrea Carroggio Diaz-Plaja  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope.. Oct 27, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

You have been translating the files over two weeks. That’s why only 119 new (untranslated) words left. That means you are almost done with your job.

These 119 words are "no match", not "untranslated" words... and plus, this is the analysis they provided me (I haven't started translating yet).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:41
English to Russian
Register local Oct 27, 2021

Andrea Carroggio Diaz-Plaja wrote:
These 119 words are "no match", not "untranslated" words... and plus, this is the analysis they provided me (I haven't started translating yet).
Ah, ok. Actually "No match" is the same as "absolutely not translated (not fuzzy, not edited, not anything) words", that's what I meant.
Ok, if the lower output is theirs and the upper one is yours, it means that probably you have not attached their TM. You should go to the Translation memories view, right click anywhere in the TM list area, click Register local, browse the TM they used for word count calculation and check it to enable it for your project. An then run the word count again.

[Edited at 2021-10-27 14:38 GMT]

Philippe Etienne

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Resources header Oct 27, 2021

comparison

Any explanation on this difference?

To add to Stepan's post, just in case the customer didn't provide any TM:

First screenshot:
Analysis against no TM. Homogeneity is ON, that's why you get an amount of "fuzzies-to-be", ie sentences that are similar WITHIN that PPT, although there is no TM.
Second screenshot:
Analysis against a TM.
If you started with an empty TM and Homogeneity is ON, MQ builds a dummy TM while analysing the files in order to scan "fuzzies-to-be", and I can only presume that those 35kwords of 101% matches are counted once in other files. It might have to do with the order by which MQ analyses files.

Perhaps if you perform an analysis of all files against your current TM now and compare it to the analysis of all files before starting (your customer's analysis), the outcome may look less confusing: you would get less fuzzies/no match and more 100%/101%

I'd also follow Adieu's advice about creating a view with all files, in order to propagate 100/101% matches to other files on the fly (and confirm and lock them if not paid).

Philippe

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Andrea Oct 27, 2021

Which one of the two analyses that you show in that image, is your own one?

[Edited at 2021-10-27 15:14 GMT]

Andrea Carroggio Diaz-Plaja
Andrea Carroggio Diaz-Plaja  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The one above Oct 27, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Which one of the two analyses that you show in that image, is your own one?

[Edited at 2021-10-27 15:14 GMT]

The one that appears first. The second one is the one provided to me.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmm Oct 28, 2021

Adieu wrote:

In the end, how much are they paying for 320k words?

In total, 5.329,52 Eur.

It has been my experience that large enough batches tend to naturally gravitate towards ~2 US cents per word regadless of initial price and discount grid.

320k words is several books' worth of text. There's only so much you can write on a given topic (unless they brazenly stuck a bunch of unrelated crap together and called it a project).

In any case, it essentially CLAIMS there's only 70k words to actually work on... if their TM is junk, renegotiate, otherwise stitch into a view and quickly confirm out the 95+ matches, then it's not that much work left.... you can probably hardcore it in a week or slowpoke it in 2.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 04:16 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Btw Oct 28, 2021

Your dissatisfaction is due to your typo and/or long number dyslexia (no shame, my personal limit is 7 digits - 6 digits I see fine, a phone number and I slow-read it like a kindergartner)

According to the screenshot, the 101 matches are 154k (half!). Not 15k.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 04:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please! I'd need your advice for a project that I think I'm not being fairly paid

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »