Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:40
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 18, 2023

When I make a change in a segment that I've translated, MemoQ adds a new TU to the TM instead of updating the existing one.
Also, even if I don't make any change, it adds a new TU and I get duplicate entries.

How do I tell MemoQ to update the existing TU, or not add a new TU if there is no change?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:40
Danish to English
+ ...
TM properties May 18, 2023

You can deactivate 'Allow multiple translations' in the TM's properties.

https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010266320-Configuring-TM-context-matching-and-multiple-translations

Stepan Konev
Grigori Gazarian

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:40
English to Russian
More than 1 TM? May 18, 2023

Probably you have more than just one TM set to update? By default memoQ simply overwrites the existing entry. When a new entry is automatically added in your case, click both of them and check the TM name. Is it different?

If yes, click Project home, select Translation
... See more
Probably you have more than just one TM set to update? By default memoQ simply overwrites the existing entry. When a new entry is automatically added in your case, click both of them and check the TM name. Is it different?

If yes, click Project home, select Translation memories, set one TM to both Master and Working. Leave the second TM with a check mark only but not set as working or master.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes I do want multiple translations May 18, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

You can deactivate 'Allow multiple translations' in the TM's properties.

https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010266320-Configuring-TM-context-matching-and-multiple-translations

I use multiple translations, because sometimes I need different translations for the same text (different context, different customers require different terminology, etc.).

If I cancel the option of multiple translations, is there an option, like in Studio, to force adding a translation as a new segment (Add as new translation)? Because in MemoQ interface I see only two options: "Confirm" and "Confirm without update".

[Edited at 2023-05-18 17:05 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have two TMs, but the TUs are added only to the working TM May 18, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

I use my local TM as the working TM and the client's cloud TM as the master TM. But the segments are added only to the working TM.

Sometimes I run TM maintenance in order to get rid of all the duplicate TUs.

[Edited at 2023-05-19 07:24 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Multiple translations indeed May 18, 2023

Ah, ok, I see now. Then I agree with Thomas T. Frost, and my comment is irrelevant in your case. Unfortunately there is no way other than that mentioned by Thomas T. Frost. Either you enable the "Allow multiple translations" feature and your TM grows exponentially, or you can't add alternative translations at all. In this regard Trados is better than memoQ.

[Edited at 2023-05-19 17:05 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you know if they changed it in version 10? May 19, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ah, ok, I see now. Then I agree with Thomas T. Frostб and my comment is irrelevant in your case. Unfortunately there is no way other than that mentioned by Thomas T. Frost. Either you enable the "Allow multiple translations" feature and your TM grows exponentially, or you can't add alternative translations at all. In this regard Trados is better than memoQ.

This is really not clever.

Did they changed it in the new version?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:40
Danish to English
+ ...
Suggestion May 19, 2023

I don't think it has been changed recently. I use the newest version and don't see such a halfway option.

You can suggest it as a feature on ideas.memoq.com. Many feature requests suggested there have been implemented.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Workaround May 19, 2023

As a workaround you can delete the outdated translation once you add a new one. In the translation results pane, right click the older translation and select Delete.

[Edited at 2023-05-19 22:19 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this is what I'm doing right now May 20, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

As a workaround you can delete the outdated translation once you add a new one. In the translation results pane, right click the older translation and select Delete.

[Edited at 2023-05-19 22:19 GMT]

When I make a change in a segment, before confirming it, I delete the original TU.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Cancel auto-propagation selectively May 20, 2023

You can instruct memoQ to unlink two identical segments, hence storing two different translations for the same source text. I do it all the time.

Here is the relevant page from memoQ's help: https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/the-grid.html#
Scroll down and expand the section "Choose if you want to auto-propagate to a segment or not".

[Edited at 2023-
... See more
You can instruct memoQ to unlink two identical segments, hence storing two different translations for the same source text. I do it all the time.

Here is the relevant page from memoQ's help: https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/the-grid.html#
Scroll down and expand the section "Choose if you want to auto-propagate to a segment or not".

[Edited at 2023-05-20 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to update a segment without adding a new one

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »