Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2004

I have a laptop bought in Spain with the keyboard set up in Spanish. On the keys I have a euro symbol on the lower right of the "E" key and on the "5" key. I need to be able to type this symbol in MS-Word but I can't figure out how. I've tried AltGr-E and AltGr-5 but no dice. I'm tired of doing the Insert > Symbol thing.

I'm sure the answer is simple but haven't figured it out yet.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Have you tried.... Oct 26, 2004

Have you tried ALT+0128 on the keypad?
That's how I used to do it!
I've also seen info about CTR+ALT+4.
Since you have the symbol on the keys, however, you should be able to press CTRL and ALT simultaneously and as you hold them down, just press the key with the little symbol on it.
Catherine

[Edited at 2004-10-26 11:05]

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try Alt+0128 Oct 26, 2004

If you hold down the Alt key and type in 0128 on the numeric keypad, you will get the euro symbol €.

Since a laptop does not usually have a numeric keypad, the best approach would probably be to record this sequence as a macro and assign it to a key combination.

According to my symbols list in Word, the standard key combination for € is Alt+Ctrl+E. This seems to be working in Word, but not on the Internet.

[Edited at 2004-10-26 11:09]

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:41
How I do it Oct 26, 2004

Press Ctrl+Alt GR+4 ... works for me!

Orla

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Insert Symbol Oct 26, 2004

Find the Insert... menu
scroll down to 'Symbol...'
from the list of available fonts select 'Symbol' (should be default)
find the euro symbol, highlight it and click "shortcut key"
then pick any shortcut you like. I picked alt+e.
click "close" - you're done.

Disclaimer:
I have the Polish version of Word, so the English commands may differ slightly.

GL,
Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw, Poland

[Edited at 2004-10-26 11:18]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeppers Oct 26, 2004

Thanks to all of you.

I like the Ctl-Alt-E suggestion made - it popped right up. I also just assigned a shortcut key for good measure.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Create a shortcut key Oct 26, 2004

Go into "insert symbol", find the euro symbol and press "Shortcut key". This brings up a menu for assigning a shortcut key (for which I suppose you would want e+Alt or 5+Alt if these are not already allocated). Press these keys, then press "Assign", exit the insert symbol menu and pressing these keys any time after this should produce the euro symbol. When you exit Word, you will be asked if you want to save changes to the "Normal" template. Say "Yes".

Sorry, your last post was
... See more
Go into "insert symbol", find the euro symbol and press "Shortcut key". This brings up a menu for assigning a shortcut key (for which I suppose you would want e+Alt or 5+Alt if these are not already allocated). Press these keys, then press "Assign", exit the insert symbol menu and pressing these keys any time after this should produce the euro symbol. When you exit Word, you will be asked if you want to save changes to the "Normal" template. Say "Yes".

Sorry, your last post was not there at the time I sumbitted this, but I think I'll leave it as it is anyway.

[Edited at 2004-10-26 11:39]
Collapse

Dr Sue Levy (X)
Dr Sue Levy (X)
French to English
+ ...
Check printer! Oct 26, 2004

As you no doubt know already, what you see on the screen is not always what you get on the printout, even with Word. Had problem with PageMaker for example. Also not all fonts have the euro symbol.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 06:41
English to French
+ ...
what language is the COMPUTER on? Oct 27, 2004

the keyboard is one thing, the computer another one. If you see "English" on the bottom of your screen somewhere, then your computer won't recognize what you type on your Spanish keyboard. I myself am doing this the other way around: I have an American keyboard but I told my computer I'm working in French because I need the accents, so what I type is not always what I have on my keyboard. If I type, eg alt+ e it gives me €, which is not on my keyboard.
HTH
Sarah

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Euro Key Oct 27, 2004

Thanks for the info, I used to use the insert symbol, but ctrl-alt-E is easier
David Brown

Edward Potter wrote:

Thanks to all of you.

I like the Ctl-Alt-E suggestion made - it popped right up. I also just assigned a shortcut key for good measure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Euro symbol - how do I get it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »