Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think your acquaintances/friends/family "envy" your life as a freelancer?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 02:39
Lid 2009
Engels naar Frans
yes some aspects Nov 29, 2010

Sometimes I was told that it's a nice job
the upside
It's cold and you stay warm (like Cristina and Catherine said)
It's not boring - it's varied - you even learn interesting things
You do pretty much what you want (provided you can choose)
you only get bullied by the pet at home for food in mid afternoon
when you fancy some face to face contacts, you get in touch with friends, sports club, and
... See more
Sometimes I was told that it's a nice job
the upside
It's cold and you stay warm (like Cristina and Catherine said)
It's not boring - it's varied - you even learn interesting things
You do pretty much what you want (provided you can choose)
you only get bullied by the pet at home for food in mid afternoon
when you fancy some face to face contacts, you get in touch with friends, sports club, and the local chamber of commerce
you talk to fellow translators occasionally on the phone
you can make friends with fellow translators locally and exchange French lessons for other languages' lessons

but the downside
You get some difficult clients sometimes
you get late work and urgent work with regular clients that you can't turn down
You sometimes wonder what an office life would be? (but you like being your boss too much!)

[Edited at 2010-11-29 13:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-11-29 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 03:39
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
No Nov 29, 2010

For most people around here, work is only a (necessary) evil.
The only situation they 'envy' is not to have to earn a living, get enough money doing nothing (or have a partner/spouse take care of that for them).
Quite a few people around me are retired and they sometimes resent that I am hardly ever available for them.

What some envy sometimes is my enthusiasm about work and the translation world, and the perspectives it opens to my mind.

Anna Katikhina
Anna Katikhina  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 18:39
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
yes and no Nov 29, 2010

Yes because
- I don't have to go to work every day
- I don't have to wake up early every day
- The amount of my income depends on me
- I can have a day free in the middle of the week
- I can go to the seaside for a month without losing my job

No because
- My workday usually lasts more than 8 hours
- Of
... See more
Yes because
- I don't have to go to work every day
- I don't have to wake up early every day
- The amount of my income depends on me
- I can have a day free in the middle of the week
- I can go to the seaside for a month without losing my job

No because
- My workday usually lasts more than 8 hours
- Often I don't have weekends
- Liberty implies lots of responsibility
- They think that being so in love with your job is odd)
Collapse

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 20:39
Lid 2013
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
the freedom Nov 29, 2010

My friends envy the freedom I have to plan my days. If I want to take a walk, go for a swim, meet a friend for a long lunch, and work permits, I can. I am not bound to be any place at any time, and I personally thrive on this freedom. Not to say I don't work at least as hard as anyone in an office job, but I can start work at 6 am, then take a three-hour lunch, or take off a day knowing that I'll spend Sunday morning catching up. Priceless!

P.S. Of course, they don't envy me when I
... See more
My friends envy the freedom I have to plan my days. If I want to take a walk, go for a swim, meet a friend for a long lunch, and work permits, I can. I am not bound to be any place at any time, and I personally thrive on this freedom. Not to say I don't work at least as hard as anyone in an office job, but I can start work at 6 am, then take a three-hour lunch, or take off a day knowing that I'll spend Sunday morning catching up. Priceless!

P.S. Of course, they don't envy me when I complain about clients who haven't paid when they were supposed to!
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:39
Lid 2009
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
some things Nov 29, 2010

mostly it's my family who worry I spend too much time alone which I do...and my sister who keeps telling me I should get another job as well, even though I have told her that I am doing quite well. I admit I do get lonely for someone else to talk to at times...but when I think of my forays into the 'office' world, I don't feel there's that much to be missed.

When it's freezing and snowing and dark, or the weather is horrible and foul, I know I am to be envied! not having to get up
... See more
mostly it's my family who worry I spend too much time alone which I do...and my sister who keeps telling me I should get another job as well, even though I have told her that I am doing quite well. I admit I do get lonely for someone else to talk to at times...but when I think of my forays into the 'office' world, I don't feel there's that much to be missed.

When it's freezing and snowing and dark, or the weather is horrible and foul, I know I am to be envied! not having to get up and commute in the freezing cold, not having to wait for the bus/metro...able to eat at home and save tons of money by not having to get a work wardrobe! (Mine is, at this time of year, sweats, hoody, fuzzy socks). WHile everyone is rising in the dark to go to work, I am peacefully asleep. I'd envy me!!

Plus, i get two weeks off at xmas since nearly all my clients shut down or go on vacation. It means i have to work harder for a few weeks to make sure i get through the lean period but so what!
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Lid 2009
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Some aspects Nov 29, 2010

They say that I can sleep well into the day - why mention that I was up and working till dawn?

They say I don't have to face heavy traffic, either on the road or when shopping on the weekend. I must agree that this is a definite plus.

They say that there's no boss calling me up when I'm out sick. This is true. However, who does the work when I'm really "struck down"?...
See more
They say that I can sleep well into the day - why mention that I was up and working till dawn?

They say I don't have to face heavy traffic, either on the road or when shopping on the weekend. I must agree that this is a definite plus.

They say that there's no boss calling me up when I'm out sick. This is true. However, who does the work when I'm really "struck down"?

Basically, my friends envy the freedom a freelancer has and, of course, not having to face those below 0 temperatures.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spanje
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Yes Nov 29, 2010

Yes, they envy me because:

They don’t see or understand peaks and troughs in work load and the stress that implies.

They don’t see me working in the early morning, before they’re even awake, or on the weekends.

They don’t understand what it is to have to prepare invoices and do book-keeping chores.

They generally think that working at home means sitting on the sofa, eating bonbons and watching soap operas.

A long list of e
... See more
Yes, they envy me because:

They don’t see or understand peaks and troughs in work load and the stress that implies.

They don’t see me working in the early morning, before they’re even awake, or on the weekends.

They don’t understand what it is to have to prepare invoices and do book-keeping chores.

They generally think that working at home means sitting on the sofa, eating bonbons and watching soap operas.

A long list of etceteras.

Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do, but these days when someone enviously tells me I have a good life as a freelancer, I just agree with them and try to rub it in as much as possible.
Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chili
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Nobody does, even though they know I'm happy :) Nov 29, 2010

Everything has been said here already.

I agree with all of the pros and cons, but my family and friends think I made the wrong choice

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 22:39
Lid 2006
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
Nothing to be jealous about. Nov 30, 2010

I can't think of a single person who's jealous of me because of translation.

I used to think people were. Cosmopolitan life (whatever that means), working with 'languages', romantic, carefree living... no worries. My illusion.

Lot's of worries, mostly financial.
Longer hours than ever.
Spending days on end looking at documents instead of interacting with real life.

Get out of this idea that we (translators) walk around with a laptop, sitting on
... See more
I can't think of a single person who's jealous of me because of translation.

I used to think people were. Cosmopolitan life (whatever that means), working with 'languages', romantic, carefree living... no worries. My illusion.

Lot's of worries, mostly financial.
Longer hours than ever.
Spending days on end looking at documents instead of interacting with real life.

Get out of this idea that we (translators) walk around with a laptop, sitting on the beach, casually rifling through thousands of words per minute.

I put in the hours, I struggle... I don't get out even ten percent as much as I'd like.

There are other things to envy about me... not translation.

What translation has done for me; it has allowed me to live life the way I deem fit and be the sort of person that I want to be. I like myself

R.

[Edited at 2010-11-30 00:46 GMT]
Collapse

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 10:39
Russisch naar Japans
+ ...
Some aspects Nov 30, 2010

They first envy me that I have such a job option, but as time goes by, they start to see some difficulties in this life. When my friends get together after work, I can not plan a participation until the last minute. Postponing appointments does occur sometimes (or even often?). Recently, I had some guests from overseas, and I had to translate documents after the dinner with them. It was not easy.

James Heppe-Smith
James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Turkije
Local time: 04:39
Duits naar Engels

Not really! Nov 30, 2010

I have only just made the leap into the freelance world - actually, that might be better expressed as I am testing the water since I still have a part time post in a translation firm.

I think my family regard the choice as quirky since before I used to keep regular office hours, but now I can be found translating as required most of my time.

I suspect that, once I have gained more experience as a freelancer, they may become more envious of certain aspects, the majority
... See more
I have only just made the leap into the freelance world - actually, that might be better expressed as I am testing the water since I still have a part time post in a translation firm.

I think my family regard the choice as quirky since before I used to keep regular office hours, but now I can be found translating as required most of my time.

I suspect that, once I have gained more experience as a freelancer, they may become more envious of certain aspects, the majority of which have been raised by previous posters. I do, however, agree that the lack of personal contact with co-workers and clients could be a bit of a negative.

James
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Lid 2005
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
Some aspects Nov 30, 2010

My mother has terminal cancer. I was able to transport my office (2 laptops) 2000 miles to help my dad and her in her final months.

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think your acquaintances/friends/family "envy" your life as a freelancer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »