Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you rejected any jobs this year?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 20:53
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
In memoriam
No Apr 21, 2011

I guess I don't have the kind of problems the rest of you do. I have a good direct clientele, a manageable workload, and I set the rates and the deadlines while keeping everyone happy and satisfied. Being semi-retired, I also have a good bit of time off. So I don't have to reject anything, and when I am off on a vacation I also handle a bit of work when necessary. Not a problem.

It all works for me. After almost 40 years in the business that is how I always wanted it to be, and that
... See more
I guess I don't have the kind of problems the rest of you do. I have a good direct clientele, a manageable workload, and I set the rates and the deadlines while keeping everyone happy and satisfied. Being semi-retired, I also have a good bit of time off. So I don't have to reject anything, and when I am off on a vacation I also handle a bit of work when necessary. Not a problem.

It all works for me. After almost 40 years in the business that is how I always wanted it to be, and that's how it is.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
Člen (2005)
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
yes Apr 21, 2011

For all the reasons given, but mostly because they were
a) outside of my fields of expertise (do agencies not read their own records? I really don't do IT or medical. Really.)
b) require a CAT tool that I don't use (see above about agencies)
c) their 'best offer' is 25% of my lowest acceptance rate.

Luckily, I've been busy, so these haven't been more than irritations.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Itálie
Local time: 04:53
italština -> angličtina
+ ...
yes Apr 21, 2011

12 so far this week (mostly all decent jobs as well)

[Edited at 2011-04-21 15:44 GMT]

Gina W
Gina W
Spojené státy americké
Člen (2003)
francouzština -> angličtina
Any? Apr 21, 2011

LOL - it's funny that the question says "any", as I would think most translators could talk about how many and/or what type(s) of jobs they reject.

Others have already stated the most obvious types of jobs they have rejected and continue to reject: jobs that don't pay enough, are outside of the area of expertise, that require too much formatting, etc. I guess I can't add much to that. I do also sometimes feel that there are certain jobs that I wish that I had rejected, because th
... See more
LOL - it's funny that the question says "any", as I would think most translators could talk about how many and/or what type(s) of jobs they reject.

Others have already stated the most obvious types of jobs they have rejected and continue to reject: jobs that don't pay enough, are outside of the area of expertise, that require too much formatting, etc. I guess I can't add much to that. I do also sometimes feel that there are certain jobs that I wish that I had rejected, because then the job gets to be more involved than I might have thought and I have to turn down other jobs in the meantime. But I think this must happen to all of us every once in awhile, though less and less frequent as we continue to gain experience.
Collapse

Liliana Galiano
Liliana Galiano
Argentina
Local time: 23:53
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Yes Apr 21, 2011

The 1st reason was they were badly paid and the 2nd they required extra tools I don't use. I am really more interested in translation and not in learning technical stuff or having to convert every single page or edit using different tools.

I try to keep it simple to word, pdf., and the like.

Regards,

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Polsko
Local time: 04:53
němčina -> polština
+ ...
Sure thing Apr 21, 2011

Yes, this year quite a lot, actually. I have found some new good clients, so I am basically (as a rule) turning down any assignments that are:

- offered by new clients, who are not ready to pay my minimum rate (which is posted in the profile, so I really don't get why they are so surprised with it)
- delivered in non-editable formats,
- asked to be done in other CATs than Trados/Across

AND last but not least

- offered by clients (agencies), who
... See more
Yes, this year quite a lot, actually. I have found some new good clients, so I am basically (as a rule) turning down any assignments that are:

- offered by new clients, who are not ready to pay my minimum rate (which is posted in the profile, so I really don't get why they are so surprised with it)
- delivered in non-editable formats,
- asked to be done in other CATs than Trados/Across

AND last but not least

- offered by clients (agencies), who demand too much attention/time

This has raised incredibly my productivity and the turnover so the only thing I can hope for is that it will be rolling that way. As it seems for now - it does not want to stop.

Have a nice Easter everyone!
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Kanada
Člen (2009)
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
pdfs Apr 22, 2011

are not always a reason to turn it down, but I did turn down a job from a new client because it was a PDF of unreadable handwriting that looked like the dead sea scrolls or inuktitut instead of French....if it requires archaeological or magician training, forget it!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 19:53
Člen (2003)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
Tons - I've been totally booked Apr 22, 2011

I'm not even counting the ones with low rates and impossible deadlines.

This month I've been so busy that I had to turn down some really nice opportunities. I've been seriously sleep-deprived. My income so far this month is almost 3 times my total monthly target.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Kanada
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
Yes Apr 26, 2011

To the point that I started looking for translators I would trust to handle jobs coming from very good clients. And even after finding two, I still had to turn down a major assignment for it would have take five of us to meet the deadline...
Deadlines really are becoming a pain ... as is seems that there are less and less people willing to working evenings, nights and week-ends even once in a while. Since this has been a tendency with the new "quality-of-life" generation of workers, I t
... See more
To the point that I started looking for translators I would trust to handle jobs coming from very good clients. And even after finding two, I still had to turn down a major assignment for it would have take five of us to meet the deadline...
Deadlines really are becoming a pain ... as is seems that there are less and less people willing to working evenings, nights and week-ends even once in a while. Since this has been a tendency with the new "quality-of-life" generation of workers, I thought the market would adjust. Obviously, it does not.
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you rejected any jobs this year?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »