Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer reading books in your native language(s)?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Meksyk
Local time: 09:05
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Several Jun 17, 2011

I read everything written in the languages I speak. Reading is a pleasure and I don't limitate it.

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Turcja
Local time: 18:05
angielski > turecki
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I prefer to read books in the language they were written Jun 17, 2011

Odile Stuart wrote:

I think it is natural to want to read a book in its original language. However we like our job, translating will always be an approximation however wonderful and accomplished the translator is. I actually think of translation as an alchemy, an art, especially of course in literature. Which is why the translator needs more recognition; in this instance he or she is a re-creator.

Can't say it any better.

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 17:05
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Except translations Jun 17, 2011

If I want to read something translated from a language I don't know, I prefer French translations over English translations. Hmm.... does this mean French translators are better?

Diana Edmond
Diana Edmond
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 16:05
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

włoski > rumuński
+ ...
original language Jun 17, 2011

If possible, I'd rather read a book in its original language. It is also good practice for learning new vocabulary.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

duński > angielski
+ ...
As long as I'm not struggling, the original language... Jun 17, 2011

Unfortunately I don't read as much as I should or would like to, but the summer holiday is over us, and maybe I will manage a little more the next couple of months.

I regard English and Danish as native languages for reading purposes and sometimes have difficulty remembering which language I read something in. It can be annoying when recomending a book to relatives...

It takes a little motivation to read Swedish and Norwegian, but if the book is interesting enough, I'm
... See more
Unfortunately I don't read as much as I should or would like to, but the summer holiday is over us, and maybe I will manage a little more the next couple of months.

I regard English and Danish as native languages for reading purposes and sometimes have difficulty remembering which language I read something in. It can be annoying when recomending a book to relatives...

It takes a little motivation to read Swedish and Norwegian, but if the book is interesting enough, I'm off.
Ther was a time when I was just as happy with French or German, but I am afraid I am getting rusty. Maybe I should make the effort - the world looks fascinatingly different in a different language!
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Francja
niemiecki > francuski
+ ...
Funny... Jun 17, 2011

to compare the comments here and the results of the poll. Do yes-answerers not dare expressing their view here?
I answered yes. Reading is a pleasure and should go smoothly. It should at the same time require no effort at all (because it is leisure) and be linguistically exciting (I mean that I want to feel very pecisely what kind of language is used, what is conveyed, all subtleties...) And these both conditions are present only in my mother tongue.
And no, I never try to "translat
... See more
to compare the comments here and the results of the poll. Do yes-answerers not dare expressing their view here?
I answered yes. Reading is a pleasure and should go smoothly. It should at the same time require no effort at all (because it is leisure) and be linguistically exciting (I mean that I want to feel very pecisely what kind of language is used, what is conveyed, all subtleties...) And these both conditions are present only in my mother tongue.
And no, I never try to "translate back" the book while reading it. Never occured to me. Translating is translating and reading is reading, I just dive into the story and don't bother whether the author is French, American, Finnish or Egyptian.
Collapse

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugalia
angielski > portugalski
+ ...
As long as it's not translated Jun 17, 2011

Either in Portuguese, English or French.

Not that translations are not good, there are some excellent ones out there but there is nothing like the original.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski > portugalski
+ ...
In the original language... Jun 17, 2011

... when possible!

Aline Canino
Aline Canino  Identity Verified
Francja
chiński > francuski
+ ...
Yes, definitively! Jun 17, 2011

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

And no, I never try to "translate back" the book while reading it. Never occured to me. Translating is translating and reading is reading, I just dive into the story and don't bother whether the author is French, American, Finnish or Egyptian.

Mainly for the reasons Sophie mentionned.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Szwecja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
Original language ideally, but English when I am tired! Jun 17, 2011

Eser Perkins wrote: I prefer to read books in the language they were written

I much prefer reading books in the language they were written. The Millennium series is a case in point - I've read it in French and it's fine, but I like it better in Swedish.

However, when I am tired, or when I am in the middle of a large translation, I will read in English - if I get time! - just to give my brain a rest.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 11:05
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
No Jun 18, 2011

I look at it as "strengthening that which is weaker." I don't read much at all in English these days, and I even prefer to read Spanish translations of works originally written in English. I feel that doing this "keeps me on my toes" in the same way that Reed alludes to.

[Edited at 2011-06-18 16:03 GMT]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Yes Jun 18, 2011

I PREFER reading in my mother tongue, but that does not mean I never read in my source languages, even books in English but hardly ever more than a newspaper or magazine in the others, now.

Reading in my mother tongue (native authors, contemporary) is a way to stay tuned, keep up with the language and its evolution. And I need it after reading only foreign languages, sometimes (often?) written by non-native speakers, 10-12 hours a day.

When reading a book translated fr
... See more
I PREFER reading in my mother tongue, but that does not mean I never read in my source languages, even books in English but hardly ever more than a newspaper or magazine in the others, now.

Reading in my mother tongue (native authors, contemporary) is a way to stay tuned, keep up with the language and its evolution. And I need it after reading only foreign languages, sometimes (often?) written by non-native speakers, 10-12 hours a day.

When reading a book translated from a language I know, I never TRY to translate back but can sometimes not help but guess what the original text must have been: some translations are ... well, you know...
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 08:05
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Yes, unless it's a translation Jun 18, 2011

For me, reading a translation is usually laborious and frustrating, even if I don't know the source language. When I was young I read the Russian novels in English and enjoyed them, but I don't think I could do that now.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer reading books in your native language(s)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »