Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often are you asked to assess other people's test translations?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Turkije
Local time: 03:19
Lid
Engels naar Turks
There are two kinds of people in this world... Oct 2, 2023

Philippe Etienne wrote:
I might be digging my own grave, but at least it's humanly dug, without MT-powered shovel stepping in uninvited. It's dug more slowly, but the pit is much better-looking.
So I likely lose some business in the process, with the agency redirecting some of their projects towards new blood, but I am also assigned new clients of theirs.
I also like to believe that new translators don't remain cheap for long when in demand, so competition based on price alone may be marginal.
Philippe

Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig. (I'm just reminded of this great line, couldn't help it).
I'd like to believe that they don't remain cheap for long either. But working on a largish translation project for one of my regular agency clients last summer in Trados, I counted like 8 different translators' names who used that TM since 2014 or thereabouts... It was like stumbling upon one shallow grave after another... All those guys lost their positions or moved on, the young replacing the old (though it don't quite work like that in translation), maybe the new blood offered better value for money (as stated in an automatic email from one particular agency), or the top dog took his/her sweet time once too often and failed to reply to the PM's emails in a timely manner on account of being on holidays or going out and socializing too much... whatever it is, it seems to be the nature of the beast with this bloody (and I dare say 'cut-throat') profession that depends largely on luck and availability (at least in my language pair).

Matthias Brombach

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 17:19
Lid 2003
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
A long time ago Oct 7, 2023

I taught Spanish> and Portuguese>English translations when I taught these subjects at Georgetown University.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 19:19
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
When hiring new translators Oct 10, 2023

I am asked to grade translation tests for new-hire candidates. I only check for errors and what seems natural enough, not preferences (except for what the school district prefers for certain terms). I make comments when they don't keep adequate formatting, etc., but I don't know how much that is taken into account. Unfortunately, the candidates never get to see the graded test, so they don't have an opportunity to learn from it--not even the ones who are hired.

... See more
I am asked to grade translation tests for new-hire candidates. I only check for errors and what seems natural enough, not preferences (except for what the school district prefers for certain terms). I make comments when they don't keep adequate formatting, etc., but I don't know how much that is taken into account. Unfortunately, the candidates never get to see the graded test, so they don't have an opportunity to learn from it--not even the ones who are hired.

POSSIBLE POINTS
CONTENT AND MESSAGE OF ORIGINAL DOCUMENT IS COMMUNICATED CORRECTLY IN THE TRANSLATION 50

TRANSLATION USES LANGUAGE THAT SOUNDS NATURAL IN THE TARGET/NATIVE LANGUAGE,

UNDERSTANDABLE TO A NON-ENGLISH SPEAKER 30

CORRECT GRAMMAR/SPELLING 20

TOTAL 100
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 01:19
Lid 2015
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
Not quite often, but Oct 13, 2023

last week I was contacted to review and assess a translation test from English to Spanish Mexican!
How many times do I have to say I'm PT-PT native???
This really irritates me!

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often are you asked to assess other people's test translations?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »