Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Generally speaking, where do you think translation should be placed between Science and Art?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Lingua 5B May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:

That’s my opinion. It’s about marketing and branding. That’s how one painter ends up in schoolbooks and is constantly talked about and some other isn’t (exposure and marketing). Sorry I can’t provide a more romantic or more sensationalistic explanation or reasoning.

Then we are talking about 2 different things here.

I responded on the initial question 'Do you think translation should be placed between science and art', and took the live of Rembrandt as an example. In my opinion you are answering with marketing and branding on my piece of opinion of the Nightwatch of Rembrandt, which was just an anecdote, hence the 'PS)', which has absolutely nothing to do with my argument.

Another PS) I could give you more anecdotes/historical facts about that painting (also to find on Google), which also have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Please let me know.

Rob

Christopher Schröder

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:12
Greek to English
Process and product May 10

Lingua 5B wrote:

True, a musician plays a wonderful melody showing us their skill and craft.

I watched this video recently, which addresses this issue. He's talking about music, but I think what he says can just as well be applied to other forms of artistic creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NyEjB_XeA&t=9s

Briefly, his argument is that art is an activity, a process, not an object. And from this he reasons that machines can never "do" art, because although they might be able to reproduce the object, they are inherently unable to replicate the process, which is something internal to the artist at the time of creation. He provides a practical demonstration of this difference right at the end of the video, where he improvises bass riffs over a piece of AI-generated music. Even if you skip through much of the rest, it's worth listening to that.

All too often, when talking about art, we refer to the object produced, and not to the process through which it is created. This is a mistake.

A painting signed by Rembrandt may be art; a hotel bill signed by Rembrandt is not - although it might be considered as such by the ridiculous fine arts market.

The recent defacing of a painting at the Centre Pompidou-Metz was claimed by the perpetrator to be a work of art in itself, with a title ("On Ne Sépare Pas La Femme de l’Artiste"). If she thinks it's art, who are we to disagree?

All the above is equally true for science, of course. A computer is not science: it's technology, the product of the scientific process.

Both science and art consist of creative thinking within a disciplined structure. The application of that creative process to produce some material output is what several people here have correctly called "craft".

Coming back to the original question, whether translation should be considered as more art or science depends partly on the source material, partly on any constraints that may be imposed, but mostly on how the translator perceives what they're doing.

I still think it's a false distinction.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Strongly agree May 10

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Translators that translate high-level poetry (into high-level translations) or some "L"iterature translators might be called artists. Everybody else: give me a break.

I am not an artist, just a person with talent for languages and writing

Christopher Schröder
Lieven Malaise
Kevin Fulton
patransword
Jorge Payan
Ендрю_20

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Generally speaking, where do you think translation should be placed between Science and Art?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »