Trados 5.5 and Quark 5... Help!
Thread poster: Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
Aug 13, 2004

I'll appreciate any help on how to start translating a Quark 5 file with Trados 5.5.
Any time I open TagEditor with Workbench and try to open the Quark file, TagEditor won't recognize the file.
(Help!) How do I do it, or what can I do?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tadzio.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the story collector Aug 13, 2004

You can find it in the installation folder of Trados.
Then select the proper one for your QXP version (note: QXP 6 is not supported, and I do not remember, if Trados 5.5 supports QXP 5) and copy this into the xtensions folder of Quark (or maybe follow the description from Trados).
In Quark you´ll get then a Trados menu.
There you select "export" and follow the advices on the screen.
You´ll get a *.qsc file, which you can open and translate with TAG Editor.
Afterwa
... See more
You can find it in the installation folder of Trados.
Then select the proper one for your QXP version (note: QXP 6 is not supported, and I do not remember, if Trados 5.5 supports QXP 5) and copy this into the xtensions folder of Quark (or maybe follow the description from Trados).
In Quark you´ll get then a Trados menu.
There you select "export" and follow the advices on the screen.
You´ll get a *.qsc file, which you can open and translate with TAG Editor.
Afterwards you can then import the *qsc into Quark.

This procedure works only with PC. QXP for MAC does not recognise Story Collector as xtension.
Nevertheless you can open the MAC-QXP file on PC and export it there to reimport it there too - this works.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Milena Vegnaduzzo
Milena Vegnaduzzo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TRados 5.5 and Quark 5 Aug 13, 2004

Trados 5.5 doesn't support quark 5.
you need Quark 4.1.
I have Waurk Passoport 4.1 and it works.

Milena

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy... Aug 13, 2004

Up to now, I've reached the translating stage with TagEditor and done it all right, but not been able to export the translated text to Quark. Trados says I have to open a series of folders for source and target files... And there is where I'm not doing it right.
I'll keep trying!
Thanks also to Milena, but I think it does work.
Regards,
Tadzio.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Procedure for QXP Aug 13, 2004

After you have installed all compenents (that means placed the plugin in the proper folder for Quark extensions) open the QXP file to be translated.
Go to Trados menu, select export.
You can place the exported file in the same folder the original QXP file is.
After the export is completed SAVE the QXP file under different (add XX for your language for example). Do NOT forget to do this, as otherwise you possibly will not be able to reimport translated text.

Transla
... See more
After you have installed all compenents (that means placed the plugin in the proper folder for Quark extensions) open the QXP file to be translated.
Go to Trados menu, select export.
You can place the exported file in the same folder the original QXP file is.
After the export is completed SAVE the QXP file under different (add XX for your language for example). Do NOT forget to do this, as otherwise you possibly will not be able to reimport translated text.

Translate the text with TAG Editor.
After yur translation is finished choos "Save taget as..." from file menu in TAG Editor. Choose a proper name (ie adding XX for your language).

Reopen the last saved source file in QXP.
Go to Traos menu, selec import and choose the translated monolingual file (this is the file you saven in TAG Editor).

After the import process is finished, save Quark file and start to reformat it in desired way.

This usually works with no problems.

Should this not work, you can still translate the QXP file by copying sentence by sentence to clipboard and using T-Window for Clipboard. As your text is allready translated the only thing to do is copying and pasting - this will last some time, but is still better then writing everything again in Quark from scratch.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 and Quark 5... Help!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »